Montreal Cheap Eats

Old May 4th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Montreal Cheap Eats

Looking for recommendations for inexpensive eating in Montreal, in the tourist areas, like Old Montreal.

Thanks
Old May 4th, 2005, 10:28 AM

Old Montreal is not known for cheap eats. Even though it's very charming and picturesque, we rarely eat there unless we are going to splurge. The best inexpensive places to eat (IMHO) are up in the plateau area - St Denis, Duluth, Mt. Royal, Rue Rachael, etc. Lots of ethnic food (many are byob's)in interesting neighborhoods. Just buy a bottle of wine and stroll up St. Denis and along Duluth. This area is not as 'touristy' as the Old City or downtown, but it's still well visited by tourists and locals alike, and it's only a few minutes walk from downtown. Another very inexpensive area to eat is Chinatown, which is a very short walk from Old Montreal.
Old May 5th, 2005, 04:46 AM

There are 2 restaurants on Mont Royal that I like for cheap but good eats; one is Anubis,
north west of St. Laurent; Carissima is another one, south east of St. Laurent, closer to St. Denis.......

I agree with zootsi about old montreal; you get what you pay for there; great paninis at Java U; you can get pretty decent mexican food at Casa de Mateo. Anything french or italian will set you back; although I still find good value for the $ in most restaurants in Montreal compared to some american cities...

I personally find our chinatown sketchy and cheesy so I would not steer any tourists there..... just my humble opinion, I walked through there on my way to work last friday and was not impressed....

Old May 5th, 2005, 05:13 AM
gdm

Chinatown is the best bet. Close to Old Montreal, cheap, good food. It's not San Francisco, Toronto, or Vancouver, but I certainly wouldn't describe it as sketchy! I've eaten there many many times over the years, and still go back. Also very good dim sum on weekends!
Old May 9th, 2005, 09:06 AM

We had lunch in the St. Laurent/Prince Arthur area at La Caverne Greque. It's a BYOB, as are many others in the area. We had appetizers, entrees (including Greek salad), dessert and coffee for $20CAD for 2 people. The food was plentiful and delicious. We sat outside, people watching on a beautiful afternoon. We did bring our own wine which added another 15$, but that's your option.
Old May 12th, 2005, 10:46 AM

There was a mini-chain of locally owned places called Chez Better that I loved. They served sausages from all over the world, along with super fries and sauerkraut. Sadly I hear they have shut down. Any Montreal folks know why they went out of business. I understand the owner was local man name of Better.
Old May 19th, 2005, 08:33 PM

I don't know of cheap places to eat at, in Old Montreal since it is a pretty fancy area; restaurants, rents, art, souvenirs, everything is expensive there... other than McDonald's in front of the Court. But another touristic area you have to see is actually a shopping street... "St-Laurent": multi-ethnic, vibrant, eclectic, many restaurants, stores, markets and nightclubs to choose from... but my secret one is "La Cabane" right in front of the famous 1938 Schwartz' smoked meat place. It doesn't look like much, but don't let appearences fool you! Order a medium rare "filet mignon" and you'll get a meal you will not forget... for $13!!! ...plus they have a very nice selection of imported beers; just the thing for that kind of plate!
Old May 19th, 2005, 09:54 PM

You'd be best advised to get off Place Jacques-Cartier to find deals but there are a few not so expensive places in Old Montreal catering to some of the remaining dot.com workers in that district around lunchtime, particularly of the soup, salad, sandwich variety. Olive & Gourmande has some great bread & sandwiches, on a nice day you could take some to-go for a picnic in the nearby Old Port. Titanic (45 rue St. Pierre) is small but also reasonably priced at lunchtime.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 10:40 PM

If you haven't left already, Harvey's ( aCanadian chain) has great char-broiled hamburgers. Or stop at a deli and get Montreal Smoked Meat and make a sandwich. You could also buy Montreal bagels which are delicious. On the french side, order Croque-Monsieur or Croque Madame which are not expensive and good.