Montreal-2 chicks, 4 days

Sep 12th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Montreal-2 chicks, 4 days

Greetings,

I am meeting a girl friend in Montreal the first week of October. Our hotel is the Le Centre Sheraton on Boulevard Rene-Levesque West. We are staying 4 days. Any input on the following would be greatly appreciated!

Is there a scenic place to go for a 1 to 2-hour hike that is not too far outside the city? (We will have a car)

If we chose to go to Quebec City, should we allow the entire day? Can we buy train tickets after we arrive?

Where is the best shopping area to find more upscale clothing/accessories by local designers?

Is there a good spa within walking distance of the hotel?

What are some restaurants, cafés, breakfast places etc. that are local favorites?
For restaurants expensive and average suggestions would help (I define average as $15-20 a plate).

If we were only going to 1 art museum, which would you recommend?

Thank you very much!!!!

Best Wishes,

Andrea

Sep 12th, 2006, 09:58 PM

I'm planning my trip to Montreal right now, so I will have more and better info when I get back, but for your hiking question: You could probably just walk over to Mont Royal and hike up that. I found this inFrommer's guide to Montreal and QC, it is one of their walking tours:
http://www.frommers.com/destinations...018020036.html.

Sep 13th, 2006, 03:08 AM

We did the hike at Mount Royal. You can't walk from the Sheraton to there (well, of course you CAN but you wouldn't want to). I suggest you take your car to the parking lot at Beaver Lake (translate that into French). From there, you can head up to the top. Don't feel compelled to stay on the big broad path. This is a very popular park so it was crowded when we were there this summer. The cross at the top is absolutely not worth trying to find.
Sep 13th, 2006, 07:07 AM

Your hotel is in the heart of downtown, one block below St. Catherine, which is the major shopping/business street in the city. You will also have access to the underground malls - more shopping. However, if you want to explore the more hip, European shopping/dining/club scene, head for the Plateau area. Just walk up St. Denis, which is lined with small shops, cafes, and restaurants. Some fun mid-priced places to eat are L'Express on St Denis, Cafe Cherrier on Cherrier, Le Jardan de Panos (BYOB) on Duluth. As for art museums, The Museum of Fine Arts on Sherbrooke is by far the most impresssive (I wouldn't consider Montreal a 'museum' type of city). Another alternative to driving out of the city to hike, might be to rent bicycles in the city - there are some wondeful bike paths networked throughout the entire city. The Lachine Canal trail is perhaps the most fun.
Definitely plan on a full day in QC. It's small, but very scenic and great for walking.
Sep 15th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much allovereurope, keymom and zootsi for your replies!! Very helpful indeed!

allovereurope - when are you going to Montreal? Do you know where you are staying yet?

Thanks again,

picture_girl

Search this Thread