Search

Montrea: Fairmont or Omni?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2007, 10:26 AM
wow
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Montrea: Fairmont or Omni?

Hi! I often stay @ Omni in Montreal b/c of its close proximity to McGill & shopping. I also love the nightime view of the mountain from Omni. I am considering The Fairmont for a November trip. How long does it take to walk from Fairmont to McGill (Sherbrooke/McGill College entrance)? Which do you think is the nicer hotel?
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 11:18 AM
wow
Original Poster

Can anybody help me w/ this?
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 12:00 PM

Hi wow,

I can't help with the "nicer" part of your question.

As for the walk--if it takes you more than five minutes then a) you are not jay-walking like any self-respecting Montrealer, or b) you are spending too much time window shopping. Of course, one can never predict November weather, so add a couple of minutes if there is snow on the ground.

JQ
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 03:23 PM
wow
Original Poster

LOL, JQ! Thanks!
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 04:50 PM

If price is a consideration at all, the Fairmont participates in the Sweet Deal tourism program which gives pretty good prices for two night stays in November.
They were doing some renovation work but I think that is all finished.

Old Sep 28th, 2007, 05:22 PM
wow
Original Poster

Thanks, vttraveler. Have you ever stayed @ Fairmont. I know that you go to Montreal regularly to visit your son @ McGill ( same as I do). Is your son going to President's Cup tomorrow & Sunday?
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 03:57 AM

We only stayed at the Fairmont once and it was years ago. Our kids were still young and we were more into what hotel had the best pool. (They preferred the Bonaventure which has an indoor/outdoor pool). You definitely wouldn't get the view of Mt royal you like at the Omni.

We had Sunday brunch at the Fairmont with a friend last year and it was very good, but I think many of the big hotels have similar lavish spreads.

We used to try out different hotels in different neighborhoods more but now like you are interested in staying close to McGill and our son's apartment (he's on Aylmer this year). we haven't stayed at the Omni because it has few (and expensive) rooms that will accommodate 3 people (husband, high school age son and me)
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 07:50 AM

Just a question out of curiosity. Are Montrealers now calling the Queen Elizabeth/Reine Elizabeth the Fairmont?
I know that CP Hotels became Fairmont some years ago, but here in Ottawa we still speak of the "Chateau" or more formally, "Chateau Laurier" rather than "the Fairmont", and so far as I know Torontonians still speak of the Royal York. Ditto for the Chateau Frontenac and most of the other old CP hotels.

The reason I ask is that when the Queen Elizabeth was opened in the 1950's there was a great furore over the name and street demonstrations by Québec nationalists. Perhaps calling it the "Fairmont" is a away to make the original name disappear (as so many anglo street names in Montreal have done).
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 01:14 PM

I am not a Montrealer, but have been there a fair amount on business and I usually stay at the QE. As far as I know, people call it the Queen Elizabeth, not the Fairmont.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 05:31 PM
wow
Original Poster

I don't know what they call it. I only knew that here was a Fairmont in Montreal.