Montréal/Quebec City

Nov 16th, 2019, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Montréal/Quebec City

First time trip dec 28 - Jan 3 my husband and I. We plan on staying 4 nights in montreal and 2 nights in Quebec City. Looking for recommendations...things to do, eat (#1), drink and boutique hotel recommendations.
What should we do New Year’s Eve in Montreal. We like to hang with the locals.

Dec 1st, 2019, 05:19 AM

I always recommend the same thing in Quebec City: go to Chez Temporel for the croissants. Better than crossing the Atlantic. Open until 5pm.
Dec 2nd, 2019, 07:12 AM

For fun casual dining in Montreal, we like to pickup a bottle of wine at one of the SAQ's and peruse the menus of the BYOB restaurants on Duluth St - lots of interesting choices - Italian, Greek, Afghan, Asian, French, etc.
Dec 2nd, 2019, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

thank you.

Lauren
Dec 2nd, 2019, 04:04 PM

(1) Chez Muffy is absolutely divine -- the service (maitre d' couldnt have been nicer or professional) , the atmosphere (furnishings to die for in an old warehouse setting), the food -- it's down near the water and you prob want to taxi there in the Old City; (2) 1640 Bistro is right across from the Frontenac off the Square and can't be missed -- we first went for lunch, then supper at the bar, then finally dinner. Delicious, reasonable, fun vibe, very good food -- had been recommended by friends who raved about their pork chops and we agree -- reasonably priced, takes resv. (3) Ophelia is a nice walk out of the old town up the main drag, great seafood, great vibe, located along the row of the old brownstones (or that's what we call them in NYC)-- husband had the duck while I had the scallops w black pudding which was delicious. Cafe Temporel did have good croissants but it's difficult to find and walk to unless you like (more) steep hills.
Dec 3rd, 2019, 07:23 AM

The Montreal restaurant I trust most is Quartier-General in the heart of the Plateau. Fine cooking at reasonable prices and customers can bring their own wine with no corkage fee. (That's APP in French.) Here is the website although it's fairly skimpy. https://lequartiergeneral.ca/

Reservations are needed in the evening.