Edmonton: Whyte Avenue or Downtown?

Old Jan 7th, 2020, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Edmonton: Whyte Avenue or Downtown?

Hi,

It seems the common advice to visitors (especially one like me without a car) is to stay in either downtown or Whyte Avenue. Iím wondering if, of those two, one area is preferable to the other for my purposes or if it really doesnít matter.

Iíll have very little time in Edmonton. Pretty much a Friday night in June, leaving on the Saturday for Jasper around 4pm, so giving me around 7 hours to explore a bit on the Saturday. Given so little time, I was hoping to get the tiniest sense of what Edmonton is about, maybe checking out a pleasant park/river view, maybe a museum, possibly walking and discovering a neighbourhood with a bit of street life, maybe snapping a photo of the legislature. Time permitting. I enjoy learning about the history of where I travel and trying local dishes, if there are any. The mall doesnít interest me, iconic as it might be. Iím happy to Uber or get a city bike if itís helpful.

I was thinking of staying at the Varscona on Whyte, as I thought the area appeared to possibly have a fun and lively energy on Friday night. Iím wondering if Downtown is livelier though?

I donít know when/if life will bring me to Edmonton again, so hoping to make the most of my few hours.

Best wishes Daniel