Medical evacuations with Air Canada

Apr 26th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Medical evacuations with Air Canada

Hello,
Has anyone had any experience with an emergency medical evacuation with Air Canada?

My mother was on vacation in Rome and has been admitted to the hospital and has been diagnosed with blood clots in her legs. The Canadian Embassy has contacted the hospital and I am told that she will be receiving treatment for at least one more week in Rome. She will then need to be flown back to Canada in a stretched out laying down position.

To make a long story short, I am wondering how accommodating Air Canada is in these types of situations.
I would be very interested to know if anyone has had any experience with this kind of thing.

Thank You very much in advance for your input.
Apr 26th, 2004, 02:02 PM
BAK

I from time to time run into a doctor who flies internationally to bring people back to Toronto. I have no phone number for him, and saw him this afternoon, but if I run intohim again soon, I'll find out more. he was in Portugal last week bringing back an accident victim, using a private airplane, paid for by an insurance company.

You might check with your insurance company, or hers, in the meantime. Some of the extra insurance people buy before leaving Canada may include this kind of special flight.

BAK
Apr 26th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Oh, thank you BAK, any information you could gather would be so helpful. I know already that her insurance does cover medical evacuation.

However I did not realize that there were doctors who would provide such a wonderful service.

Thank you again, hope you run into him soon.
Apr 27th, 2004, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Hello again BAK. Just wanted to let you know that the flight arrangements are being taken care of.

Blue Cross (who my mother is insured through) is arranging the flight back home for her.

Thank you though for your reply and your generous offer to contact your friend. Thankfully, it sounds like Blue Cross has everything handled.
Apr 28th, 2004, 12:06 PM

Hello, Atilla, I wish your mom speedy recovery, and it's nice to know Blue Cross is a good insurance company (which I currently have). I feel better knowing there is one less thing to worry about.
Apr 30th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Hi FainaAgain,
Thank you for your lovely note. Yes, Blue Cross does seem to be an excellent insurance company. Hope you never have to use them!

My mom is still going to be in Italy for another week, seems they are not taking any chances, which I am certain is a good thing. Just can't wait for her safe return.
Thank you again.
Apr 30th, 2004, 11:50 AM

Atilla, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Mrs. Atilla Senior's return journey. I can just imagine how anxious you are for her to get home safely.
Apr 30th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Judy, it is so comforting to get such nice words of encouragement from people you've never met. Very thoughtful of you all.
Apr 30th, 2004, 03:56 PM
BAK

I'm sorry I couldn't be more help, but I can tell you that Blue Cross does a good job coordinatiing things.

I've been out of town, and did not see my friend.

Best wishes to your mother.

BAK
May 4th, 2004, 07:31 AM

Dear atilla, please try Angels in flight they do this its located in Ontario what happens is the will make all the arrangemewnts to bring her back & during her journey she will be provided with a nurse on route. please contact them the are great to work with. I don't know the exact address but the are part of the peterbourgh hospital system. hope this helps.
May 4th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you CapeBreton, I will see what I can find out.
May 6th, 2004, 07:47 AM

Dear atilla I have found the number for you its 1 800 563 7686 or 1 705 743 5433 its for ANGELS IN FLIGHT CANADA INC. hope this helps. I had a client of theres once & the nurse was a sweetheart. The lady had came with her to cape breton from Ontario. believe me she was in good hands all the way. This company goes all over the world doing this.
May 6th, 2004, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much capebreton, that was very kind of you. I will call and see what can be done to help mom get here.

Still no word on when she will be able to fly, apparently her blood has to be a certain "thinness" or viscosity before air travel is possible and it has not reached that point yet.

Her leg is much better and they did let her get out of bed with it wrapped up yesterday after 2 solid weeks of being confined to bed. What a relief!
May 28th, 2004, 01:38 PM

Glad to know your mother is being well cared for by her insurance and that she has a comfortable trip home. She sounds as if she is doing well and may not need the kind of arrangement we once saw on a flight from Vancouver to Toronto, but this may be of general interest.

The patient being flown was, I think, very ill and was accompanied by at least one medical person. The patient was brought in after everyone was settled. Air Canada had either removed a few seats (one behind the other) or set up a stretcher-like bed across several seats at the front of the plane in economy. The whole area was surrounded by white curtains so the patient had complete privacy. Air Canada handled it with a great deal of sensitivity.

A note regarding out-of-country medical or trip cancellation insurance. Be sure to read it well and know what it covers and what it does not cover before buying it. There are usually pre-determined medical problems they will not cover and in our experience these are spelled out (in the fine print) so read ... read ... read. I'm thinking of one traveller who not long ago found she was not covered by her trip cancellation insurance and was very upset.

Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional info. michi. Just a little update, mom made it home safe and sound after almost a month in Italy. They took very good care of her there and Blue Cross arranged all the flights home with the upmost professionalism. They made 5 stops between Rome and home (Edmonton) so mom could get up and walk around and stretch her legs.

It took 26 hours all told for them to get her here but we are so relieved and couldn't have asked for a better outcome. Thank you again for all your replies.