Magdalene Islands/Isle de Madeleine

Old Jun 8th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Magdalene Islands/Isle de Madeleine

Has anyone travelled here and did you consider it different enough PEI to make the trip. What was your experience like.
It looks like a beautiful relatively untouched spot.
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 08:37 AM

I find the Magdalen Islands very unique, and different from PEI (but I already live in the Maritime Provinces). First of all, the culture is mainly French (Quebec/Acadian). PEI has more of a "farmland" feel, while the Magdalen Islands have a more "nature" feel (but still populated - 13,000 inhabitants). I like the Magdalen Islands because they are more remote (5-hour ferry), offer enough activities to keep you busy for a week (artists studios, hiking, kayaking, kite-flying, boat cruising, etc.), have some nice dining options, beautiful dunes and many secluded beaches. We rented a house on the main island (administrative centre) of Cap-aux-meules, and explored the archipelego from there. I've seen a lot of beautiful spots in the Maritime Provinces - what is special about this one is a feeling of remoteness and freedom. It is very popular in July and August, but there are enough open spaces that it doesn't feel crowded. June, as well as the end of August and the beginning of September, will be quieter.
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 12:26 PM

Hi: I don't know that I can add too much to the informative reply you received from "ventdest". My wife and I were there in 2005 for 4 nights. There are many interesting shops, restaurants with delicious, reasonably priced seafood, and beautiful scenery. Be sure to make your reservations early for July & August. We had a wonderful time there. The inhabitants of the islands are very hospitable and extremely friendly, even to those with a limited command of French. The majority of the service people we dealt with in restaurants, shops, etc. spoke little or no English. But it was never a problem.

The ferry is very comfortable and even has a "quiet" lounge if you wish to read or nap. The cafeteria served good food at a reasonable price.

There was only one negative: Waiting to board the ferry I noticed that almost every vehicle was from Quebec. There was 1 other car from the US. I saw none from ON, NS, NB,etc. We have traveled extensively in Quebec - Gatineau, Montreal, Quebec, Lac St. Jean, and the Gaspe Peninsula. These fellow tourists from Quebec were some of the rudest, most ignorant people we've ever encounterd in any of our travels, both on the ferry and off. So it was doubly enjoyable to be welcomed so warmly by the local people.

The last paragraph aside, I would certainly recommend making the trip. I just wanted to mention the one negative, which is certainly outweighed by all the positives.

Regards.