Louisbourg: where might I stay and eat?

Aug 21st, 2009, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Louisbourg: where might I stay and eat?

I'll be taking the ferry from Newfoundland to N. Sydney on Sept. 9, arriving around 5:00 p.m. I won't feel like driving on to Halifax that evening, so I'm thinking of visiting Louisburg, spending the night, viewing the town the next morning (suggestions welcomed) and then driving to Halifax on the 10th, preparatory to flying home to Philadelphia on 911.

Is it worth a visit and where might I stay and eat? I think some recent past threads discussed a visit to Louisburg--or am I confusing it with threads on Luneberg--but having read so many this past week, I can't remember in which thread the info appeared, much less what was said. Thanks in advance.
Aug 23rd, 2009, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

I booked a room and look forward to the experience of Louisburg
Aug 23rd, 2009, 06:58 PM

Assuming that you haven't confused Louisbourg and Lunenburg, the main attraction is the Fortress of Louisbourg, a National Historic Site. Ideally you would want to spend a day visiting it, but if you get there at opening time (9:30) you can still see a good bit in 3 hours or so. Count on at least 5 hours to drive to Halifax.

The Fortress is one of the prime sites to visit in all of Atlantic Canada and should not be missed.
Aug 24th, 2009, 05:42 PM

Arriving @ 5:00PM, I would immediately head for The Gowrie House in Sydney Mines( Google to find more info). Have a wonderful dinner. Stay the night & have breakfast the next morning. Then head to Louisbourg. Spend some time on Sept 10 in Louisbourg then head to Halifax. On Sept 10, maybe stay @ the Hilton Garden Inn which has a shuttle to the Halifax airport. I stayed there recently & except for the dining room being in the lobby I liked it. BTW, there is another dining room beyond the one in the lobby but they keep it closed.... go figure! But, if you ask them, they will let you in!! Too funny. The seafood chowder is very good.
Aug 25th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Laverendrye, I'm glad to hear the fortress is well worth the visit. (And no, I am not confusing it with Lunenburg.) I figured about three hours at the fortress before heading to Halifax. Thanks once again for all your help. And thank you, OceanBreeze1, for your thread. Well, I'm all packed. The only thing left to do is to board the plane Thursday. Best, Robert
Aug 25th, 2009, 05:26 PM

Have a great trip, Robert Happyfella! I love your screen name!
Aug 25th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I've never, ever come up with a screen name I like. Somehow, when I began planning my trip and going to this site (which I enjoy), the name popped into my head. And guess what I was just watching on tv for about 20 minutes (it's about the 10th time I've seen it)? The movie Goodfellas. I think I'm a good fella--but definitely not a goodfella, as in a member of the mob. Take care.