Reload this Page >

Looking for good road food on the Trans-Canada

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2002, 01:14 PM
Anne

We're driving from Toronto to Camrose, AB in July, via the Trans-Canada and Yellowhead Highways. Can anyone suggest good, non-Mickey D's places for lunch along the way, specifically about half-way between Sault Ste. Marie and Thunder Bay, about half-way between TB and Oak Lake/Brandon, Manitoba, and about half-way between there and Camrose? (And, for that matter, breakfast in the Sault, just west of T-Bay and Oak Lake/Brandon? We're trying to stay on a tight budget, but I can't stand the thought of all those chain meals. Are there any non-chain places along the way that are famous in the area, a "must-stop" (like Weber's, on the way to Muskoka)? My tastebuds thank you!

Old May 13th, 2002, 04:32 PM
Jenny

Sorry, I haven't done the trip yet, but we'll be doing this trip in August, so this is a plea to ask you to report back any interesting finds when you get back. I, too, try to avoid chain restaurants, and usually try to find a local grocery to avoid eating out all the time, but I am interested in good local food. Hope you get lots of responses.

Old May 13th, 2002, 06:11 PM
jake

From the title, I was expecting an interesting discussion on road kill - ground hogs in Ontario vs. Richardson Ground Squirrels in Sakatchewan.

Old May 13th, 2002, 07:07 PM
Carl Z

There is nothing worth eating in any of the places mentioned-I mean Nada!<BR><BR>Take a cooler & picnic fixin's and scout around for suitable picnic locations-any restaurant offering food along that highway is the home of grease, grease and more grease.<BR><BR>As to 'good local food'-in that part of Canada Bologna is considered a vegetable, as is Ketchup.<BR><BR>You have been warned!

Old May 14th, 2002, 06:33 AM
Island Girl

We've done the drive a few times, and dh and I agree, the best place to eat between SSM and Thunder Bay is at Lake Superior Prov. Park, with your picnic basket and BBQ.

Old May 14th, 2002, 06:58 AM
LJ

I agree with all other posters having just driven back on the TCH from Halifax to TO: it can be pretty bleak food-wise. But you can't carry a three day picnic either unless you are in a trailer so I offer some tips for eating "around" the MacDonalds offerings.<BR>1. Travel with apples, raisins, pepper sticks in the car for emergencies.<BR>2. The non-donut selections at Tim Hortons are not bad; they always have soup and their chili and chicken stew are much less greasy and more appetising than most chain food.<BR>3. At the dreaded Mickey D's, the salads are getting better, fresher and the fish sandwich (with the white glop scraped off) ain't half bad if you add the tomato and lettuce from your salad.<BR><BR>Good eating...the scenery will make up for it all!

Old May 14th, 2002, 09:34 AM
Laurie

I live in Sault Ste. Marie and here there are so many great places to eat, but you wanted a spot between here and Thunder Bay.<BR>Wawa is 3 hours north of here, and we use to live there too. The Wawa Motor Inn is right off the highway and use to have great, homemade food (wonderful desserts). There is also some great little diners downtown...all serving 'homemade' food.<BR>I don't think there are any Tim Hortons or McDonalds anywhere between Sault Ste. Marie and Thunder Bay.<BR>