Reload this Page >

Long weekend in Toronto?

Search

Long weekend in Toronto?

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2001, 04:44 PM
Olivia

Long weekend in Toronto?

Hi! We are planning a long weekend June 14-17 in Toronto. Already have tickets to Mamma Mia. Suggestions for other things to do while we are there? Good inexpensive/moderate places to eat? Should we rent a car? We are staying at the Strathcona. Thanks!

Old May 24th, 2001, 12:24 PM
antoniette

Well, I know what I am doing that weekend.On either June 15 or 16,"Taste of Little Italy"will take place in the Italian section of Toronto, which is located along College Street, in between Euclid and Shaw Streets. The Streets will be closed off, and there will be many bands, from different cultural groups and alot of food. You asked whether you should rent a car, I wouldn't, first of all downtown Toronto is great if you are a walker, if you rent a car parking is expensive. If you don't walk much, our public transport, which is called the TTC, is great. If you are staying at the Stratcona, you can take the subway at union station, and get anywhere from there. Have a great stay in our city!

Old May 24th, 2001, 12:44 PM
Daniel Williams

Hi Olivia <BR> <BR>I definitely recommend not messing with a car for a long weekend in Toronto. There's really no point; public transport and your feet will get you most places you'll need to go. Toronto is a city of amazing restaurants; Kashmir in the north (corner Eglinton-Yonge...subway stop Eglinton I believe is best) is delicious for Indian food. Hit Little Italy, go to the Kensington Market, visit one of Toronto's Chinatowns. There are great restaurant deals to be had...check out Zagat's Toronto for ratings (www.zagats.com). <BR> <BR>DAN

Old May 24th, 2001, 01:47 PM
Susan

Another area that's great for food is the Danforth. Lots of Greek restaurants, but other types as well. It's easily reached on the subway. Very popular in the evenings, with lots of outdoor patios. The theatre district (where Mamma Mia is playing) is also packed with restaurants and bars. It's also right next to the Skydome, so if you like baseball and the Jays are in town, you could catch a game. <BR> <BR>Mamma Mia is wonderful, by the way - I saw it at New Years and loved the show! And I'm not even an ABBA fan! <BR> <BR>Agree with the others - you definitely don't need a car downtown.

Old May 26th, 2001, 01:05 PM
Brian Kilgore

Go to www.BrianKilgore.com, and click on the Festival Caravan logo to get anidea of 15 diffrent cultures you can experience that weekend. <BR> <BR>No car. You're too close to a lot of great things to do. <BR> <BR>Walk a lot. Go in a big circle from University and Queen (a couple of blocks from the hotel) west on Queen to Spadina, north on Spadina to Dundas, east on Dundas back as far as Yonge Street. <BR> <BR>Walk from the hotel down York Street to the harbor. <BR> <BR>BAK

Old May 28th, 2001, 05:15 PM
Olivia

Thanks for the suggestions. They convinced my husband not to rent a car. Any more information out there on the festivals going on that weekend? What about walking tours? <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>. <BR>

Old May 28th, 2001, 07:06 PM
toby

really good/inexpensive places to eat in toronto: <BR> <BR>1) the jerusalem. on eglinton avenue west. delicious middle eastern food. <BR> <BR>2) the queen of sheba. on bloor street west. great ethiopian food. <BR> <BR>3) gios. also known as 'the nose'. on yonge street. cheap and good italian. <BR> <BR>4) sushi bistro. queen street west. <BR>fresh and inexpensive sushi. <BR> <BR>have fun.

Old May 28th, 2001, 07:21 PM
Sherry

On Saturday morning go to the St Lawrence Market. When you get closer to this huge food/veg. goods market you can smell the most delicious aroma. They make and sell a Peameal bacon sandwich (it is a kind of Canadian bacon) on a Kaiser roll. There aren't any fancy tables, and you will have to eat it on the walkway outside, but they are wonderful. Get one and an orange juice and sit to watch the people while you enjoy something delicious.