Lodging for group in Banff?

Old Jun 9th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lodging for group in Banff?

Hi,
I am new to the Canadian board. I am trying to organize a family( 8-10 adults, one 3yr old) get together for next summer and am considering Banff/Lake Louise. My DH and I will probably take the train from Vancouver and meet up with the others who will fly into Calgary. Any suggestions for lodging for this group? A house that would accomodate us, cabins, etc.? Where should we stay- Banff, Jasper or Lake Louise? Thanks for helping with this!
L
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 08:48 AM
ltt

http://www.douglasfir.com/
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 10:13 AM

Hi,

I don't have any lodging suggestions, but just wanted you to be aware that the train does not go through Banff or Calgary. It goes throught Jasper to Edmonton. Depending on where you'll be meeting the rest of your group and/or if you'll be picking up a rental car, this may be an important consideration in your travel plans.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 10:21 AM

>>>>>>I don't have any lodging suggestions, but just wanted you to be aware that the train does not go through Banff or Calgary. It goes throught Jasper to Edmonton.<<<<<<

That's true of VIA Rail, ShelliDawn. If Leilei catches the (expensive) Rocky Mountaineer, there will be the choice of going to Banff or Jasper.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 10:34 AM

Leilei, for your family members who will be flying into Calgary, Banff / Lake Louise will be closer than Jasper.

Ltt's recommendation of Douglas Fir Resort on the outskirts of Banff townsite is a good one.

However, where you should stay depends on how much time you have in the area, what sorts of things you like to do, and what your budget is.

If you and your group are keen hikers, the Lake Louise area is a better base. If you are town people (that is, if you like to be close to lots of restaurants, shops, spas, etc.), Banff townsite would be a better bet.

Another option to consider, from the point of view that it has time share condos that you can rent by the week, is Canmore. It's 12 - 15 minutes' drive east of Banff, and is just outside of Banff National Park, but still in the mountains.

If your trip was long enough, you could consider splitting your time between the Canmore - Banff - Lake Louise area and Jasper. I recommend devoting 60% - 70% of your time to the Canmore - Banff - Lake Louise - Yoho National Park area and 30% - 40% of your time to the Jasper area.

If you want to stay on the outskirts of Banff townsite, in the vicinity of Douglas Fir Resort, there are a couple of other, nearby, self-catering facilities, namely, Tunnel Mountain Resort and Hidden Ridge Resort. (Note that none of these places is a resort in the American sense of the word. That is, they don't have tennis courts, golf courses, etc., on their properties.)

If you want to stay in the Lake Louise area, consider Baker Creek Chalets and Paradise Lodge and Bungalows.

If you want to stay in the Jasper area, consider Alpine Village, Becker's Chalets, Jasper House Bungalows, Patricia Lake Bungalows, and Pyramid Lake Resort.

My website may be of assistance:

http://groups.msn.com/CalgaryandCana...iesTravelTips/
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies- I was wondering if I would get any information. It is a bit early- I am going to present this trip next month when almost everyone will be at my house.
I am hoping that they will agree- it is a diverse group. Most like to hike, and be outdoors, a few are in the couch potato category, but I think even they will enjoy the scenery.
I would like to take the Rocky Mountainer( we are trying to talk BIL and his wife who live in Seattle to join up) from Vancouver and then meet up with the others in Banff/Lake Louise. I'm not sure how much time we will have- probably a week including the two days on the train.Will 4-5 days give us plenty of time if we stay in either Banff or Lake Louise?
Thanks for the names of the resorts- I will check into them.
Judy, I will check your website.
Once again, thanks for the info.
L

Old Jun 11th, 2007, 02:06 PM

>>>>>>Will 4-5 days give us plenty of time if we stay in either Banff or Lake Louise?<<<<<<

If that's the amount of time you have, I reccomend that you stick to the Banff / Lake Louise area and refrain from going to Jasper.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 02:07 PM

<<
That's true of VIA Rail, ShelliDawn. If Leilei catches the (expensive) Rocky Mountaineer, there will be the choice of going to Banff or Jasper.
>>

Oops, I always forget about the Rocky Mountaineer. Probably because I'll never be able to afford to take it.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

ShelliDawn,
If I am able to pull this trip off, we will take the Rocky Mountaineer- but the redleaf level! I can't afford to spend $3000 for 2 days of train travel and one night of moderate lodging. The Goldleaf level sounds wonderful, but I guess I will have to do without the dome car and gourmet meals.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 05:44 PM

I do not mean to sound like a schill for this place, but I liked it.

http://www.pinebungalows.com/

It is not walkable from the train station however. The car rental place was next door.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 05:46 PM

Next door to the train station that is.