Reload this Page >

Living in Whistler

Search

Living in Whistler

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 02:03 PM
sally

Living in Whistler

We are about-to-be active retirees (just over 50) and are thinking about making our new home in Whistler. Before everyone tells us how expensive it is, we know! We can't afford one of the showplace houses, but we have looked at and can afford one of the smaller, less glitzy townhouses. We have been to Whistler to ski, of course, and love it, but wonder what it's like to live there year round...any thoughts?

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:05 PM
Bonnie

I think it would be paradise. I have been there during all the different seasons and when I return to Toronto and hit the 401 I want to turn around and go back to mountains and the laid-back way of life. I'd suggest you look for either a very small place so you can say to all your friends and relatives "Love to put you up but we don't have room" or a very large place "Take the Perimeter Bus from the airport and of course you'll stay with us". Recommended living in Whistler to a family friend over a year ago and they're still partying away!

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 10:02 PM
Len

I moved to Whistler twenty years ago, and have never regretted my choice! Whistler is much more than just a ski town (I stopped downhilling 10 years ago, in favour of cross-country skiing). The summers are warmer and usually drier than the coast. We take advantage of the many trails for hiking and biking. There are some magnificent golf courses from nearby Squamish north to Pemberton. Whistler is on the verge of becoming known as an Arts and Cultural Center as well. There are already close to 300 events a year taking place at the recently opened Maurice Young (MY) Place. <BR>There's also a terrific community here as well, full of active, enthusiastic people who care about the town and are working hard for a sustainable future.<BR>Negatives: November! It can be very wet and ugly during this month. The Cornoccoppia Week can take away some of the pain, otherwise, do as the locals do, and head for Mexico before the ski season starts. Other than than, Whistler is a great four season home. Nature at your doorstep, and some of the best restaurants and shops are just down the Valley Trail!<BR><BR>

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 02:49 PM
sue

i agree that whistler is great any time of year. i prefer the summer, living 2 hours away in vancouver, really it feels like im further away. even when it rains it is such a cozy place. happy retirement!!

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 09:00 PM
Carl Z

Well I suppose I'm the only one here who isn't 'carrying a cross' for Whistler.<BR><BR>Or maybe I think that living in such a grossly overpriced noisy and soulless place would be like carrying a cross-or maybe a piano on your back.<BR><BR>You couldn't pay me enough to live there and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.<BR><BR>Thinking of retiring there?<BR><BR>Then go and rent an apartment and stay for a few months first-any garden has serpents.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 04:45 AM
sally

Thanks to all of you for your replies, even the negative one. It's true that Whistler has a lot of people passing through, but on the other hand, it does have plenty of locals. The real estate person we are working with is showing us complexes that have a good percentage of permanent residents--we don't want to live in a townhome development that is almost entirely rented to vacationers, as some of them are. <BR>Whistler isn't perfect, I know, but we like the idea of living in a small community (ok, a small PERMANENT community) yet can still find plenty to do, both indoors and out, within walking distance. We hate having to drive all over the place, but on the other hand, we don't want to live in a big city. So Whistler is still at the top of our list. Plus, we LIKE having visitors, so living in Whistler means we'll have plenty of company dropping by! Anyway, if we turn out not to like it, well, the real estate market there is so hot, we'll have no trouble selling our townhome...

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 04:55 PM
Barb

Dear active retirees:<BR><BR>Why don't you get a place there and invite my husband and I up and we will let you know if you made a good decision.<BR><BR>We are traveling there next week for our very first time. Maybe we will decide to retire there. Good luck.<BR><BR>Barb & Ron<BR>Active unretired parents of <BR>college aged self absorbed children

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 10:36 AM
Beatrice

We bought a place in Whislter last year. We have only gone down to Vancouver twice in 14 months. We LOVE it!!!