Limited time in Montreal, top sees

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We planned a trip to Quebec City for April and later decided to add a night in Montreal. After doing some research, I realize that we should have scheduled more time for Montreal because there is so much to see.

We'll arrive around 10 a.m. and have until 4 p.m. the next day when we catch the train to Quebec City. With such sites as the Biodome, Botanical Gardens, Mont-Royal, Musee des Beaux Arts, Christ Church Cathedral, St. Patrick's Basilica, Chateau Ramezay, Basilique Notre-Dame, Old Montreal, Olympic Park, Cathedrale Marie-Riene-du-Monde, underground city, and the many dining options, my head is now spinning! I really wish we could spend more time, but since we can't, what should we concentrate on? Any suggestions will be most appreciated!
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 04:30 AM

Have you booked a hotel yet ?
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 05:15 AM

I would spend the first day in Old Montreal, which includes Notre Dame and the Chateau Ramezay. There are many other interesting things to see and do there, and I would suggest a hotel in that area.

For the second day, you could either: combine a trip to the Botanical Gardens (they are huge) and the Biodome, as well as Olympic Park (easy to reach on the Metro; or spend the day in downtown Montreal where you could visit the Musée de Beaux-Arts, the other churches, and the underground city (of which Central Station is a part). You can get to Mont-Royal by Metro and city bus, but I don't know if you would have time if you want to see the other sites. You might take a taxi.

Old Feb 14th, 2005, 05:25 AM

For a first time visit, the must things to see would be the Old City and port area,and Notre Dame (which is in the Old City). From there, it depends on what you like. If you have children, the Biodome is great (adults will also love it however). Although the Botannical Gardens are amazing, I don't think you'll see too much going on outside this early. The indoor gardens are impressive however, and may be worth a few hours if you are a plant person. You will probably spend a lot of time just strolling along St. Catherine and or St. Denis, which is lined with cafes and small shops. The underground is a good place to spend a rainy afternoon, but it's bascially a huge complex of multi level shopping malls - nothing exotic. The Olympic Park is interesting -the Botannical Gardens are across the street and the Biodome in the Park. One night in Montreal is not enough, but don't worry, you'll be back!
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 03:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback.

mitchdesj: Yes, we have our lodging - we're staying at the Auberge Bonsecours. It got a good review from Frommer's and the location looks like its close to much of what we want to see.

laverendrye: I think we'll spend our first day in Old Montreal and do the Ste-Catherine/St. Denis area the second day as you suggested. Guess we'll save Mont-Royal, the Botanical Gardens and Biodome for another time since they're a little further away from where we'll be staying.

zootsi: I'm sure you're right - I'm already sorry we won't have more time in Montreal, so we will most like be planning another trip before long.

Thanks again to all of you.