Reload this Page >

Layover in Toronto: CN Tower

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2001, 07:52 AM
michelle

We have a five hour layover in Toronto on Saturday, June 8. Is this long enough to visit the CN Tower? How do bus/taxi transportation costs/times from the airport to the tower compare? Thank you.

Old May 25th, 2001, 05:26 PM
mark

Yes. Taxi will cost about C$35 flat rate and take about 20-30 minutes assuming no traffic problems. Airport Bus is cheaper but not sure whether it stops at Skydome Hotel, which is closet hotel, but will stop at Royal York Hotel which is a short walk away. Five hours s/b okay depending on time of day. Be wary of i) long lines at CN Tower although June s/b okay, ii) traffic back to airport although you'll see if traffic is heavy from the CN Tower.

Old May 26th, 2001, 12:57 PM
Brian Kilgore

I don't know the fares, but suggestyou note that three in a cab (or even two) may be cheaper than three fares (oreven two) on an airport bus. <BR> <BR>I discovered this for myself in Chicago once; felt pretty silly. <BR> <BR>Within a few minutes walk of the CN Tower is the Hoickey Hall of Fame, too, if you've got the time. <BR> <BR>the Tower restaurant is a lot better than you might expect, but you'll also be within a few minutes walk of many other good restaurants, on King Stret West, two blocks north of the tower. <BR> <BR>Enjoy your visit, short as it is. <BR> <BR>BAK

Old May 27th, 2001, 09:27 AM
michelle

Thank you for the useful information. <BR> <BR>One additional question...Shouldn't traffic be pretty light between the airport and downtown on a Saturday or might there be a special "event" that would create a traffic tangle? (E.g. football Saturday's are congested traffic days in my town.) I just definitely do not want to miss our flight to London!

Old May 27th, 2001, 11:37 AM
Susan

CN Tower is right down near the Skydome. If the Jays are in town, traffic could be busy along the Gardiner & Lakeshore. There's always stuff going on down there on a Saturday. Downtown Toronto does not 'empty out' after business hours.

Old May 27th, 2001, 03:31 PM
elizabeth

Hi Michelle - I assume you mean Saturday June 9 not the 8th. On Saturday the 9th there is a Blue Jays game starting at 4:05pm. Traffic should be heavy-ish coming into the city for the game from about 3:00pm on ,but not bad leaving the city until about 6:30pm (even then the fact it's a Saturday and the Jays aren't doing that well - alas! - it shouldn't be a major barrier)

Old May 28th, 2001, 02:38 PM
michelle

Thank you...right day, wrong date. It looks as though we won't be fighting the heaviest traffic, so we are looking forward to visiting the Tower.

Old May 29th, 2001, 05:00 AM
Jody

We just returned from Toronto. <BR>We could not believe the amount of traffic and traffic jams everywhere on a Friday night at 8pm and on Sunday afternoon. Luckily we gave ourselves a few hours to get from downtown Toronto to the airport. Not only is the traffic bad, but I have never seen such poor signposting (actually minimal) and confusing roads to an airport anywhere in the world. And everyone that we stopped to ask for directions, either ignored us,( a taxidriver who turned the other way as we were interuppting his smoke break) had no idea where the airport was (we were within a mile but could not figure out which of the many roads would gt us there)or in 2 cases, had not idea what an airport was. I swear I am not making this up. I landed up saying, "airport - the place where planes go" and making airplane arms.) <BR> <BR>I'm not kidding, as you approach the airport, the highway splits into 3 roads and there is not a single signpost to indicate which is the correct road. <BR> <BR>So hopefully, if you have a taxidriver (who is not on his break) he should know the right roads and not have to worry about the lack of signs,

Old May 29th, 2001, 06:43 AM
Susan

Jody, you're right about the airport these days. There's a huge amount of construction going on and it's a mess. But taxis and buses know the routes. I ended up taking the airport express from downtown a few weeks ago on a Friday evening and was surprised that we made such good time.

Old May 30th, 2001, 02:34 PM
Michelle

Now I am wondering if I should chance this sightseeing trip...How long should I expect to spend at the tower if we arrive in the early afternoon (and just do a trip to the top)? Also, can I pay a taxi fare in US dollars? Thank you.

Old May 31st, 2001, 04:27 AM
Jody

I am sure that you will have enough time. I asked one of the staff if it is alwiays this bsuy and she said it is buser because of the holiday weekend. I think you will be able to do it it in yothe time allocated. Don't forget you will have a taxi driver who will know the roads. <BR> <BR>If you are pressed for time then just go up to the main viewing floor. Find out how long the wait is for the very top the skypod, which is 34 floors higher than the main floor. That is where the really long lines are. There is 1 elevator that can take about 10 people. That is the only elevator to get to the top. <BR> <BR>Leave plenty of time to get down as there are long lines to take the elevator down from the glass floor level. Stand in the line to the left. There are 2 elevators in use on this side and only one on the right hand side. <BR> <BR>

Old May 31st, 2001, 09:30 AM
dan woodlief

I don't think you should have any trouble. In about the same amount of time you have, a friend drove me over on a Saturday evening (through very heavy traffic), I spent close to an hour at the tower, walked around a bit of downtown, had dinner, and sat down to watch the Phantom of the Opera. As someone else suggested, the Hockey Hall of Fame is nice is you find you have extra time. It wouldn't take more than an hour to see quite a bit of it.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 01:06 PM
Michelle

Thanks for all your help! One last question...Can I use US $ to pay for everything?

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 12:05 PM
garyt

The answer is yes..American funds are accepted in Toronto with mixed results on the exchange rate...currently the US dollar is worth $1.52 canadian, however you might get as low as $1.30 at the attractions and Cab...there are exchange booths at the airport so do it there... Overall I would discourage your attempt at this side trip... especially if the weather is less than clear blue skies...a cloudy or rainy day just puts you into the clouds with no view but the parking lot below...also the airport traffic and the baseball game make this a chancey trip...I sure would hate for you to miss London...finally you will be paying $70 for cabs plus the $12 each to race back and forth for a quick tower looksee. It's really not worth it.