Keltic Lodge vs Lantern Hill & Hollow

Mar 12th, 2004, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Keltic Lodge vs Lantern Hill & Hollow

Hi Everyone,
I am planning a trip to Cape Breton Island in June and I am trying to make a choice between the Keltic Lodge and Lantern Hill & Hollow. I was also considering Seascape Coastal Retreat and Castle Rock Inn, but from what I have read here and elsewhere, these two places aren't as highly regarded as KL & LLH. Any information would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!
Mar 12th, 2004, 09:28 AM
wow

Anythingonce, Hello! Comparing Keltic Lodge and LH&H: apples & oranges. There is no comparison. You shd know that I am biased- I have loved Keltic Lodge all my life! I went there as a child & I still go back whenever I can. I have never stayed @ LH&H. That said, I will try to help you out. The big advantage to staying @ LH&H may be that, from their web site, it appears to be "right on the beach". For some that may be the deciding factor. But, keep in mind that you will be there in June! It is still cold in CB in June. You won't be swimming that's for sure! Even walks along the beach will be very chilly. Keltic Lodge, on the other hand, while not directly on the beach, has THE most spectacular view! Try to imagine a narrow peninsula that juts out into the Atlantic. Keltic sits squarely on this peninsula so that you are completly surrounded by water! It is breathtaking in its natural beauty. The Lodge is steeped in tradition. The dining room is lovely. Again, you see water from every window. The room was designed to capitalize on the view. Your screen name "Anything Once" tells me that you owe it to yourself to stay @ Keltic Lodge at least once! (But don't stay in The Inn @ Keltic. It does not have the charm of the Main Lodge. Ask for one of the recently renovated rooms in "The Main Lodge".) Let us know what you decide to do!
Mar 12th, 2004, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the info! It will be hard to make a decision, mainly because both places seem to have very loyal patrons. The fact that the Keltic Lodge has many activities on its grounds makes it slightly more attractive to me than Lantern Hill & Hollow. Plus, I didn't really take into account the fact that it is still cold in NS in June... Decisions, decisions!
Mar 12th, 2004, 04:30 PM

My 16 yr old son and spent one night at Keltic Lodge last June and love it. In fact we tried to extend our stay but they were booked. Try checking the rate on Expedia and then calling the hotel and asking them to match the price. The reception staff were wonderful and offered to email me pictures of the penninsula. You can see what previous posters have described. The hike from Keltic Lodge to the end of the penninsula was our favorite on Cape Breton Island.
May 8th, 2004, 05:53 PM

Hi...I have spent a lot of time at the Keltic Lodge and I recommend you stay there. I don't know the LH&H so I can't compare... but the Keltic is gorgeous! It's right along the Cabot Trail. The scenery is gorgeous. The beach is awesome with a fresh water lake nearby and a hiking/biking trail right along the lake. I THINK the lodge has a few bikes that they rent out to guests but you may want to check into that if you're interested. There is also a tennis court and soccer field by the beach. The beach is at the edge of the Keltic property. Easy to walk to. The Atlantic Restaurant has the most spectacular view of the ocean...and sometimes lucky people catch a glimpse of whales while eating their dinner. The AR is a nice alternative to the Purple Thistle Dining room. The AR is casual dining and the PTR is four-course fine dining. The AR allows casual dress (you can show up all wet straight from the beach if you choose). The PTR is smart casual dress code however. As you walk up the hill to the lodge whether you look to your right or to your left you have the ocean. Very pretty no matter what. This is my biased opinion but hope it helps. Happy traveling!