Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Just back from an exciting 3 days and 4 nights in MONTREAL!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

Just back from a long weekend in Montreal. I'm not really into writing trip reports anymore -- just trip summaries.

Here is a summary of my thoughts on Montreal:

1) HAS MANY GOOD THINGS THAT NYC HAS, BUT DOES NOT HAVE THE BAD STUFF WE HAVE: It has a great number of terrific restaurants, shops, clubs, bars, galleries, etc. Like NYC, it is extremely multicultural. But it DOESN'T have nearly as much crime as NYC, for example. I found most people to be more friendly in Montreal overall. They smile at you. The streets are cleaner. Even though it's a city, they don't have nearly the amount of noise (in the form of car horns, car alarms, police/ambulance sirens, people shouting). Yes, there are some drivers playing loud music, but absent the other noises previously mentioned, the occassional loud music was easy to take! Rude people were very rare.

2) IT'S HARD TO FIND A BAD MEAL IN MONTREAL: Really, I think you have to try really hard to eat poorly there. I just think that the average standard for food is much higher in Montreal. (My Italian husband agrees.) Don't get me wrong, there are great places to eat in NYC. But if you run into just any deli in NYC, you will often get a very mediocre salad or sandwich. Sometimes below mediocre, just bad! But I honestly did not have one bad meal in Montreal.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

(Sorry: did not mean to hit the return button as I was not finished writing yet.)

Some places I ate at worth mentioning:

1) BRUNOISE -- super-yum! Hearty Quebecois cuisine with a real chef's flare. A silky Gazpacho with hints of cinnamon. Tender leg of rabbit with melting foie gras. My husband said that his beef tenderloin was the best he's eaten...ANYWHERE! Finished it off with a potent cab-merlot, the first time I've ever had a Canadian red wine.

(to be continued...)
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 03:33 PM

thanks for posting a report bettyo70, friends and I are heading to Montreal later this month, I'll be watching for more of your thoughts!
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 04:39 PM

bettyo, I was wondering when you came back; the weather was great for your weekend, keep the report coming...

I want a list of your purchases !! Does your husband like shopping also...
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 06:31 PM

Bettyo--

Glad you enjoyed your trip to Montreal. There really are so many reasons to love this city and gastronomical excellence is definitely one. I can assure you that there are bad meals to be had in Montreal and rude people to be encountered, but there are definitely a large number of quality restaurants at a reasonable price and plenty of people who light up socially around others, sharing their joy!

I'm glad you got to experience our great city. DAN
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Stormy, Mitch & Daniel: Whoops! I really got sidetracked today and meant to give some more details before signing off.

MONTREAL FOOD (cont.):

2) PREMIERE MOISSON on Sherbrooke Street: Someone on chowhound.com (Montreal) recommended this place to me for our morning croissants and coffee -- great choice! Not only were the pastries and coffee good, but we were also able to sit outside and watch the day begin on Sherbrooke Street. What a pretty street with a number of smaller art galleries and some major museums as well. Looks a bit like Madison Avenue in NYC, but with a more friendly, neighborly vibe. A WARNING: Quite often when we ate outside, we were greeted by a number of wasps (hornets?). Sometimes they really wouldn't go away! It was still pretty warm this past weekend, so they were buzzing all around us and our food.

3) One night, we decided to skip restaurant dining and grabbed a few sandwiches from REUBEN'S Deli on St. Catherine Street to bring up to the top of Mt. Royale park. Talk about eating with a great view! We managed to hoof it up to the Belvedere lookout point, along with our sandwiches and a bottle of French red Bourgeuil. We missed the sunset but the Montreal skyline was all lit up for us. I felt the soreness in my legs a few days later from the climb up Peel Street and up the park. (I do a lot of walking at home but NYC is rather flat.) Particularly good was the liver and onions sandwich from Reuben's. Overall a beautiful experience. It seems like many people at Belvedere had driven there that night. We were among the few walkers. It was a bit scary for me when we were descending because the park really is not lit very much at night, except for a few areas. Luckily we managed to find our way back despite the darkness.

FUN CLUBS:

Well, my husband and I are big fans of 80s music so hands down, the most fun we had in a club was ELECTRIC AVENUE on Crescent. This was our first experience hanging out on Crescent. On weekend evenings, the entire street pulsates with music and life. There are a number of open bar terraces all in a row from which to watch the action.

At ELECTRIC AVENUE, even the bartenders and waiters were dancing while they worked. That was definitely nice to see. We were dancing there until 2:30 am, and I'm one of those people who's usually fast asleep by 11pm! How did we cram all this activity during the day and night? We mastered the one-hour power nap! Also, NOVOTEL, where we stayed, was in such a strategic location for the shopping and clubbing areas.

Yes, what NOVOTEL lacks in historic charm and decor, it more than made up in convenience, cleanliness, quiet and value. We were quite happy with this place. Maybe next time we will go for a more charming bed-and-breakfast or boutique hotel, possibly in Old Montreal.

BIG DISAPPOINTMENT: I'm big on great views, but the ALTITUDE 737 dance club was disapointing for many reasons -- the windows were dirty, the ventilation system horrible, the sound system horrible...it was so crowded you couldn't breathe! Perhaps it's much better in the summer when you can dance in the outdoor roof terrace and actually get some fresh air. We did not stay long, and the music was uninspiring.

TOURISTY, BUT A BLAST: The high-speed jet boating that leaves from the Old Port. You're in an open vessel that spins in 360-degree circles; often pulling you backwards and then around. If you don't like getting wet, avoid! We were fully drenched by the waves of the St. Lawrence River. (If you have kids, they particularly will love it!) The operator is SAUTE MOUTONS.

MONTREAL SHOPPING

My husband and I found some nice clothing at this shop BEDO right near our hotel. We don't have BEDO in NYC. Young, fashionable but stll well-tailored clothing at very reasonable prices. I found a gorgeous lace top, and my husband scored a sporty jacket and zip cardigan. We possible could have done more damage shopping, but simply did not have the time while trying to fit in other activities (Old Montreal walking tour, a daytrip to the Laurentians, etc.).

Besides, the one day we actually had time (on a Saturday), THE STORES ALL CLOSED at 5PM! Be forewarned. In NYC, stores open later on a Saturday. Therefore, I was not able to find my tall suede boots.

LAURENTIANS DAYTRIP (GRAY LINE BUS TOUR):
Overall, we were quite happy to explore another region of Quebec so close to Montreal. Less than an hour away. We got to see some skiing areas and the beautiful lake of St. Agathe. (Plus, we did not have to deal with the whole driving thing ourselves.) Of course, this trip would be even more beautiful if done when the leaves change in late September. We stopped briefly in the town of St. Sauveur. We did not think the factory outlets of St. Sauveur were worth wasting your time in (merchandise so-so). More fun just to walk around, looking at the small shops and just having some some crepes or hot chocolate in one of the outdoor cafes. The town itself definitely has a village charm to it. Small houses that look Swiss. And no wasps bothering us there when we ate outside...hooray!

GUIDATOUR walking tour of Old Montreal
About 1.5 hours. A walking tour of my FAVORITE part of Montreal. I fantasize about having a loft here someday with a view of the river. The tour was about $15 CAN per adult. The guide was enthusiastic, sweet and can walk even faster than I can (Miracle)! Plus, she was very patient with my questions. The tour leaves from right outside Notre Dame.

NEWTOWN: A beautifully designed restaurant, bar and club combined (three levels), also on Crescent Street. We only went to the dancing part (lower level). Unlike 737, a GREAT sound system and good ventilation. Nicely designed lights and decor. We enjoyed it, but still not as much as ELECTRIC AVENUE across the street.

Did not get as much time to spend in the Plateau area this trip. A good reason to return? And less than 1.5 hours by plane from NYC. We should be regular visitors!

Good Night to all!

Old Sep 7th, 2005, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

Ha, ha...just realized my title is screwed up. That's "3 nights and 4 days", not the other way around.
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 04:38 AM

LOL Bettyo!

I see you got a chance to experience some aspects of what makes Montreal great. One thing that makes this city special--and gives the city a unique vibe north of the Rio Grande-- is that when you go out, a whopping majority of Montrealers *love* to dance. And there are fun, popular places *to* dance for a reasonable price that grab a good crowd (not to mention some for free like the Tam Tams). Montreal, perhaps because of our dancing spirit, is known worldwide as the place to go for modern dance, with our wide variety of troupes from our Cirques to La La La Human Steps to Marie Chouinard to les Grands Ballets Canadiens, to name three.

Sometimes when I go to dance clubs in other North American cities and see people standing around.... I feel like telling them to relax, enjoy and shake their booty! LOL! Ah well, I guess it's a holdover from more Puritan/Victorian days in more English/less Latin societies when dancing was considered "sinful". Anyhow, all this to say, I'm not surprised you enjoyed the energy and glad you whooped it up at Electric Avenue.

I'm also glad you went to Premiere Moisson; their bread really is superb. And yes, you should definitely come back to enjoy the Plateau!

Cheers and best wishes! DAN
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Dan,

Yes, I'm so glad people in Montreal are not overly "self-conscious" about dancing. That's the way life should be!

Warm wishes to you!
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 03:48 AM

bettyo, thanks for continuing your trip report; I like a sandwich from Reubens from time to time.
This is funny: I'm sitting at my daughter's computer in Brooklyn reading about a new yorker's report on Montreal. Glad you had fun and too bad about the boots.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 01:19 PM

Nice to see we're still loved here in Montreal, 737 was the PLACE TO GO when disco was king, shame its a miss!!

Nice to see such enthusiasm as we take it for granted, good food on evry corner.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Mitch: Go, Brooklyn! I grew up partially in Sheepshead Bay.

Chris: Yes, 737 has SO MUCH POTENTIAL. Now if you put ME in charge of the place, I would work on the interior design and change it into a futuristic space ship with AMAZING VIEWS, a high-tech sound system, great drinks, stellar lighting. What they have done to that place is a total waste!

Probably they make so much money off of the kids, they don't care enough to improve -- or even clean -- it! Sad. Still love Montreal though!