June weather in Nova Scotia

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are leaving to go on a cruise and shore excursions the second week of June. What kind of weather should we expect? What to pack? We are leaving 95 degrees and dry,so I need a new mindset to pack. Visiting Sydney,Halifax and PEI .
Thanks for suggestions.
Old May 28th, 2011, 09:31 AM

I just looked at the 14 day weather forecast for Sydney b/c I am going there tomorrow for a week.
They are predicting highs of 13-16 Celsius (about 58-64 F) & lows around 6 or 7 (44-48F). Mainly sunny with some cloud & rain a few days.

jJst Google "Weather in Sydney, Nova Scotia & the same for Halifax & Charlottetown.

Whatever it is, it will be a big change from 95 degrees & dry!!
Nova Scotia & PEI are surrounded by water. Marine weather at this time of year is generally cool & wet. Also expect some fog.
So, pack a light jacket (windbreaker), pants/jeans, a zip "hoody", things you can layer, running shoes. But also capris, sandals, lighter weight tops for when it warms up.

Are you renting a car or "touring" Cape Breton?

Ocean
Old May 28th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Your answer justified what I was thinking. We are on shore excursions with the ship,however we are on a waitlist for Sydney. Might have to rent a car and drive. We will see.
Old May 28th, 2011, 02:36 PM

We were in Nova Scotia 3 years ago in June (2nd week), & it was cool. I would say mainly 60'sF, perhaps 70 the highest. We generally did have sunny weather, but the day we toured Fortress Louisbourg, it was cool (50's), foggy & rainy. We visited Annapolis Royal, Halifax & Cape Breton Island, & Peggy's Cove. We may have worn capris a few times but definitely no shorts.
Old May 28th, 2011, 04:08 PM

It's always "cool, foggy & rainy" in Louisbourg!
Old May 29th, 2011, 07:34 AM

So far we have had a pretty cold May. That being said usually we do get some nice warm weather in June, but usually especially when breezes off water it is usually temperatures such that a jacket or sweater should stay close at hand.

Hopefully after such a rainy and cold May we will have a better June.

Have a great vacation!

Bob H. (Sackville NB)
Old May 29th, 2011, 11:21 AM

Hello summer7,

Last time I was in Halifax (middle of June) in 2008, it was around 60 degrees F and overcast. I was glad to have a sweater and my "fall" jacket came in handy. Went cycling on PEI last year at the end of June; I was glad for my sweater on certain days while cycling, although I didn't always need it. Have a great trip to one of my favourite corners of North America.

Best wishes, Daniel
Old May 30th, 2011, 03:56 AM

During June month, the temperature generally range from 60-65 F during the days in Nova Scotia. However the nights are bit colder than this. June is a nice time to visit with lot to see and do. Enjoy your trip.
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 12:49 PM

I was in Cape Breton May 29-June 6.
May 29 & May 30 brought glorious weather! It felt like mid-July. Sunny & warm. The remainder of the week was cold,( temps in the 40's & 50's...I wore my down filled vest) rainy, windy and foggy. Saturday, June 4 was sunny but chilly. Our scheduled flight out of Sydney on Westjet on Sunday evening, June 5, was cancelled due to heavy fog. I left the next morning @ 6:00AM on Air Canada (Sydney/Toronto).
Westjet handled the whole thing in a very poor manner. Most passengers felt "stranded". Westjet was not able to get passengers out of Sydney until 24 hours later. And, even that offer was contingent on having the fog lift. That's why I was forced to go on Air Canada for $600!!!!...b/c I had to be back in Toronto Monday morning.
I will never fly Westjet again.