Judy's psuggestion for a downtown hotel in calgary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading the description of downtown areas in calgary by Judy, I was wondering if hotels such as The Delta Bow valley and spots such as The International hotel would be suitable for strolling in the evening ? We are seniors attending a wedding and are trying to sort out hotel accmodation within the 125.-175 per night range, are there hotels which you would feel free to recommend ? thanks
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 10:32 AM

Well I'm not Judy, but have lived in Calgary for over 40 years. I would recommend both these hotels (Delta would be my first choice). Having said that, would I stroll in downtown Calgary after dark - not likely. We are a big city now (almost 1 million people) with much the same problems that other major cities have. As long as you were aware of that, a short stroll in the early evening would most likely be okay. But I'd check with the doorman which would be the best way to go.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 10:55 AM

>>>would I stroll in downtown Calgary after dark - not likely<<<

I take Cruiseryyc's point. I think it depends to some extent on the time of year at which you'll be visiting. Since it stays light until late in summer, being out and about on a summer evening is more comfortable than on a winter evening (both from a light and temperature point of view).

I used to recommend the International all the time. I'd visited friends who were staying there some years ago, and I thought their suite was pleasant. However, someone who stayed there in July 2005 told me her suite was very tired and seriously needed redecorating. She was not an unduly fussy person, so that has made me think twice about the International.

I've stayed at the Delta Bow Valley, but it was quite a while ago. However, out-of-town friends of ours have stayed there just recently, and were happy with it. It's on an ordinary downtown street, but it's within walking distance of Chinatown's restaurants. During daylight hours you also could walk from the hotel to the path along the Bow River, and then use the path to reach the Eau Claire Market complex, where there are restaurants, and the park on Prince's Island.

Another hotel to consider is the Marriott. It's just off 8th Avenue / Stephen Avenue Walk, which is a pedestrian mall that has restaurants and shops along it. I'm pretty sure you'd be able to get into the Marriott for the price you want to pay.

Something to keep in mind about getting around Calgary is that the use of the train is free in the downtown core. Not really relevant to your question, just a tip.

The scuzziest part of downtown is east of City Hall, which is on Macleod Trail (equivalent of 2nd Street SE).

Hope that helps.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 11:06 AM
sockboy

I'm not Judy either! But, I used to live in Calgary, and now live in Edmonton and travel to Calgary on business a lot, so I have tried many of the Calgary hotels.

If you can get a rate within your price range, I would suggest the Sheraton Eau Claire. Try the starwood.com website, for deals. The Sheraton is an all suite hotel, very well managed, and located in Eau Claire market. Although you may not want to stroll around downtown Calgary at NIGHT, the evening is quite another thing. Eau Claire market is right on the Bow river and across from Prince's Island Park. There are plently of paths to stroll along by the river and around the park in the evening. If it is a nice evening, many people will be out and you will have nothing to fear at all.

The International and Delta are both ok - decent mid range hotels, but nothing special. I would actually pick the International over the Delta. Just a bit closer to Eau Claire and downtown shopping.

You may also want to consider the new Hyatt, a couple of blocks away, which frequently offers very good rates.

Old Aug 18th, 2005, 11:17 AM
sockboy

Judy mentions the Marriot. It falls in the same category as the Delta and the International. These are all older hotels and can be seen as a bit tired. None of them have had recent major upgrades. But they are all decent, clean places to stay.

I think the top 4 hotels in downtown Calgary are:

The Sheraton
The Palliser (Fairmont Property)
The Hyatt
The Westin

The Palliser is a historic hotel, with some smaller rooms, but kept and managed to the Fairmont standard. The Westin is a hotel of the Marriot/Delta vintage, but has been upgraded in recent years, and includes the Westin "Heavenly beds".

The Sheraton is worth paying a bit more for than the other three. I have stayed for as little as $119 on a weekend night, so it is doable in your budget. If you don't see anything on the website in the way of a deal, call the hotel direct and ask if they have any specials. The Club rooms are great, and include evening appitisers, and a buffet breakfast.

Old Aug 18th, 2005, 04:36 PM

Paid US$45 + tax/fees for the Marriott for July 2, by bidding 3* on Priceline. It can save you a bundle. They also have a 4* category, with the Hyatt having reported.

Both adjacent to the Convention Center. Steps from Calgary Tower.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 04:38 PM

Just checked biddingfortravel.com again. Lots of people getting the 4* Westin for about US$60 + tax/fees.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 10:24 AM

I'll jump in with my suggestion as a Calgarian. If you want a neighbourhood feel how about the Kensington River Inn -- right across the river from downtown and located in a great area to stroll around in.

In my opinion the Delta Bow Valley is located in "no-where land" a few blocks from areas I would consider strolling in the evening. Definitely the Marriot, the Hyatt downtown and the Palliser are located close enough to the 8th Avenue mall that I would consider them appropriate.

8th Avenue between Olympic Plaza and Bankers Hall is definitely an area I would stroll down (and have) in the evening. Its vibrant and has lots going on -- especially in the summer. Panhandlers yes -- but what city doesn't have those. If you stick to the Avenue you'll be fine and will join a host of Calgarians who believe our inner city core has a life -- after 5pm.
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

I would like to say thanks to all of you who took the time to share their thoughts re hotels in Calgary. We are researching rates for those hotels you folks suggested. Thanks again very much appreciated
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 02:28 PM

Speaking as another Calgarian, there are any number of nice hotels downtown which should fit your needs. As mentioned by other posters, I would look at the Hyatt, the Sheraton, the Marriott, the Westin or the Delta - all of which should likely have some rooms available in your price range.

Contrary to Hydra (who offered you some excellent advice, although I believe the Kensington River Inn is significantly more expensive than 1125-175 per night), I'm one of those Calgarians who believes that the downtown does shut down after 5 pm (although I'm usually at the office until 7). There are some fantastic restaurants downtown, but unless you are walking to an event at the Centre for Performing Arts, there is little reason (other than going to dinner or to a bar, or one of the two art house theatres) that you would be walking around downtown at night. I love this city, but you could fire off a cannon downtown at night and not hit anything.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 05:22 AM

Okay I would defiantly not advocate walking off the 8th Avenue "strip" in the evening but there are places to wander and things to see in Calgary's downtown after 5pm.

I would begin with an oyster (or two) and a martini at Catch and then stroll down to McNally Robinson -- an independent book seller on the 8th Ave mall -- that has a great selection of Canadian authored books. Poke around there for a bit, possibly pick up some eye candy photo books as a memory of your trip. Stroll further east, past The Bay, Canada's oldest department store and home of a good selection of "kitsch" souvenirs. Enjoy some of the art on the mall -- stopping to gawk at what we've been told are sculptures of "trees" outside of Bankers Hall. Head a block west to Mango Shiva for great Indian Food -- passing the Holt Renfrew windows (which are always amazing to look at). Or head south and circle the block around Bankers Hall. On the south east and west corners are another two pieces of public art (Calgary has many -- ask your concierge for the street map and explanation of the art installations), and across 9th Avenue see an original CP steam engine. Swing back onto 8th Avenue and stop at the Wine Cellar for an wonderful tasting of Canadian Wine -- they have a tasting bar and you can purchase a great selection to take home.

If the Art Gallery of Calgary is open stop and see an exhibit or continue your walk east -- your dining options are many. I would suggest Teatro's patio in the summer (reservations required) or Centini for an upscale end to your evening.

Nothing to do in downtown Calgary after 5pm, I beg to differ.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 05:25 AM

sorry . . . directionally challenged here.

This line -- Stroll further east, past The Bay, Canada's oldest department store and home of a good selection of "kitsch" souvenirs -- should read, "stroll WEST . . . "