Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

JPL is not an option, where to stay in Jasper for HMoon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2003, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're going on our honeymoon Sep 8-15 in the LL/Jasper area. We're fortunate enough to be at the Post Hotel in LL(I've already stayed at the Chateau and although very nice, perhaps a bit stuffy for us). We're stuck on where to stay in Jasper though. The Jasper Park Lodge prices are just a tad high for us. Where else is there such wilderness, calmness and good service? We do not care to be in town and really feel challenged that we can't justify staying at JPL. We welcome your suggestions. Aloha!
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 08:53 PM

Howdy!!
Jasper is a quiet town so most anywhere that you'd stay would have calmness and wilderness (or close to it!!).

It might be better to narrow down your choices and then ask for opinions.

You can search out likely looking accommodation at:
http://www1.travelalberta.com/Rockies/

Once you get to the website, click on "Looking for accommodation in the Rockies? Click here" option, scroll halfway down the page and start your search with the Advanced Search option.
There will be links to the actual hotel/motel/inn/cabin etc. web pages on the list that appears once you have entered your choices.

By the way, my personal favourite is Becker's Chalets (2 km = 1.2 miles) south of Jasper townsite on the Athabasca River. The newer cabins are comfortable, some of them back onto the forest. During one stay on one fine autumn morning, I woke up, opened the curtains, and saw three deer munching on the grass not three feet away from the window!! Becker's also has a dining room with a view onto the river.

Good luck and happy trails!!
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 09:33 PM

I agree with you about not staying " in town" in Jasper. And I agree with the other poster that Becker's Chalets would be a good alternative. It is out ot town and on the river. Have fun.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the suggestion on Becker Chalets! I'll look into those.

A few others that I read up on that looked promising were Patricia Lake Resort, Pyramid Lake Resort, chateau jasper...what about these as options?
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 07:30 AM

I would not completely rule out JPL. My wife and I just returned from Banff/LL/Jasper. We had reservations at Chataeu Jasper, but were very dissapointed when we arrived. We immediately called JPL. The first rate they gave me was $300 US. I kept asking for any better rate and finally got them down to $165 US. That's not a typo. That was cheaper than Chataeu Jasper! Of course, it wasn't their best room, but any room at the Fairmont is still nice and it was decorated very luxuriously. Resort was not stuffy either and you definately feel away from town.

Tip: Ask if you can receive the Alberta resident's rate. That's what we got. It was our anniversary so they gave it to us. Of course, mention that it's your honeymoon. Good luck!
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 08:50 AM
ltt

do a search for pyramid lake & patricia lake - you see a ton of previous posts
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 10:33 AM

JPL is a lovely spot so - if you can get a good rate - as others in this thread have suggested - go for it!!

Just a note - tourism is way down in the mountains this year due to various world events (??). Jasper is much quieter than Banff or Lake Louise at the best of times, so they may be more willing to lower rates for you. It doesn't hurt to try.

And of course, the type of accomodation that you eventually choose depends on what sort of experience you are looking for when in the mountains.
If you prefer the hotel experience with all the bells and whistles, then go for that (but it is more expensive).
But if you want a mountain experience, stay in a cabin or chalet rather than in a hotel.
Personally (and we travel to the mountains several times each year) we prefer the cabin in the mountains route. And that is why I can't give Pyramid Lake Resort more than a mediocre recommendation. To stay there is like staying in any slightly-better-than-average motel, only it's in a spot where the scenery is lovely!!!

Both Becker's Chalets and Alpine Village have nice self-contained cabins or units in four-plexes that actually seem like cabins (go for an upper unit). There are one bedroom - or larger - units with a kitchen, living room, fireplace, etc. Both Becker's and Alpine are in the woods by the Athabasca River, the locations are very quiet, the accomodations are very comfortable.

Take a look at their websites (type in the name using Google search).

Happy Trails!!

Old Jul 25th, 2003, 03:44 PM

I agree with a previous post that Chateu Jasper is very disappointing. We stayed for 1 nite last week. "Chateau" is a misnomer. It's actually a motel in a residential part of town and in my opinion in need of upgrading. I would not recommend it.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 12:40 PM

Wife and I stayed at Patricia Lake bungalows about 3 years ago and loved it.Great little cabins with full kitchen and fire place.Out door hot tub and the lake and the mountains,I think it's the most beautiful place in the country!And I'm from the east coast!
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 01:54 PM

I'll cast my vote for Becker's - we love it there! Let Lena (she and Claudio own the place) know you're on your honeymoon when you reserve your accommodation, if you decide on Becker's.
Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!