Search

Journey in June

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 06:41 AM
Gail

Journey in June

My husband(51 yrs.) and I(40 yrs.) are planning to travel from Columbia, SC to Botston (via plane), to Portland (via train), and to Nova Scotia (via the Cat) so we already have quite an adventure in store. We will have from June 8-June 15th to explore and return. Although he is unable to do much hiking we would like to touch on some historical sites, fishing harbors, coastal sites, etc. So far we have planned to see Bay of Fundy, whale watching, deep sea fishing trip, Greene Gables, Fortress at Louisburg, Digby, Lunenburg, Halifax, Citadel, Alexander Graham Bell Museum, Titanic and eat at Salty's. Now for my questions: Is all this possible in our time frame, what will the weather be like, will we see ice bergs and whales, where to stay-all in one place or are several locations needed, eateries, SUGGESTIONS? Is the lighthouse inn on PEI nice? As you can see we want to see it all in a short amount of time. Adventure!

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 11:03 AM
Thor

Gail: Sounds to me like you'll be spending all your time in the car. Your planned itinerary is better suited for a 3 or 4 week trip. My advice with the time you have available is to stay in Nova Scotia, and do a circle tour. The trip to P.E.I. and back to Nova Scotia would eat up 2 of your travel days alone. Also, although Fortress Louisbourg is a great historical site, it too will be a long detour for you . You could spend some time in Annapolis Royal as an alternative historical attraction, and it is more on your way. You won't see any icebergs, unless you were prepared to go to Newfoundland, but you may see Apple Blossums in the Annapolis Valley. There is tons to see and do on a circle tour from Yarmouth through the Annapolis Valley to Halifax, and back through Lunenburg on the South Shore. When in Digby, think about going down Digby Neck to Brier Island. Spend some time around Wolfville to experience those Fundy tides in a quaint college town environment. Halifax has many attractions, and good restaurants. Lunenburg is a World Heritage Site, and the South Shore has some great beaches, although it will be too early to swim. Weather in the Maritimes in the Spring is variable. Could be rainy and cool, or sunny and warm. Let's hope you luck out

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 04:26 AM
Susan

We're planning to drive from Toronto to Nova Scotia and PEI in September. We've never taken a 'road trip', but now we're thinking we'll make getting there part of the holiday. I've started to do my research already and I'm starting to think that 2 weeks won't be enough! I think we'll spend a couple of days in the Lunenburg area and a couple of days in the Annapolis Royal area. Maybe 1 night in Halifax. That would leave us a couple of days for Cape Breton, which I do want to see. Then we'll have maybe 2 or 3 days in PEI. Add to that our drive time from Toronto - given that we're not wanting to drive flat out .......... hmmm, maybe I should skip PEI. We've both been to Quebec City, so don't need to spend time there (I've been several times), but I've heard that the Laurentians are nice. And there are probably areas of New Brunswick that we'll want to see. I think there's maybe a lot more than we can handle in 1 trip!<BR><BR>If anyone has any recommendations, I'd love to hear them. We have never been east of Quebec City - with family in BC, we usually end up there for summer holidays, so this will be something new for us.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 06:57 AM
grant

Gail - I am not familiar with the region but read your message because I hope to visit in the near future. Although I can't give advice on the area I can tell you that I have NO clue how you will fit all of your plans in within a week!!! I also try to see everything on my trips but I just can't see how you can possibly do all of that in one week.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 07:01 AM
Gail

Thor,<BR>Thank you for your immediate response. After further research I did narrow down the scope of our travels. I also included your suggestions and relied heavily on your advise. Check this new itinerary out. <BR>Day 1: Arrive via catferry into Yarmouth. Drive the Evangeline Trail to Saint John, NB. (include a side trip to Annapolis Royal) Do the reversing fall boat trip.<BR>Day 2: Grand Maran Island<BR>Day 3: St Stephens and then back up the coast through Fundy Nat'l Park to Moncton. Dinner at Shediac.<BR>Day 4: PEI<BR>Day 5: Ferry from Woods Island. Drive the Marine Drive to Halifax. (include Truro.) Dinner at Salty's. Stay at Sheraton.<BR>Day 6: Lighthouse Rte back to Yarmouth and the catferry.<BR>Thank you for the info. on the apple blossoms. I REALLY look forward to seeing that! Is this a better suited trip? <BR>Question: My husband is a smoker. Are there any restrictions regarding this? With this itinerary in mind, any suggestions on the best company for deep sea fishing? Your help and response has been so very much appreciated.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 07:06 AM
Gail

Grant,<BR>I appreciate your answer. I have taken a closer look. Although we are quite the adventurous travellers, I agree this was a bit much so we have focused more on the Nova Scotia area. I wish you all the luck in discovering the journey best suited for you. If I can be assistance please don't hesitate to write or email me direct. Where are you departing from? I got excellent rates on the internet (expedia.com) and have success with them in the past. Happy traveling.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 09:31 PM
Thor

Gail: If you'll forgive me, I still think you are being overly ambitious with your itinerary. The drive from Yarmouth all the way around to Saint John is very long, and then adding another side trip to Grand Manan Island, oh boy!!<BR>I'll stick with my original suggestion, which would still tire most people out in the time frame of a week. However, if you find you want to add another segment I guess it would be possible to do a quick side trip to PEI, realising that with the back and forth from Nova Scotia it will take two days. In that time you could have a quick look at Anne of Green Gables, and the North Shore beaches. Spend a night in Charlottetown, and then take the Wood Island Ferry back. Skip the Marine Drive on the return, and take the 100 series highways to Halifax, as you will want to make time, and leave something for sightseeing on the Lighthouse route back to Yarmouth. Also with what you want to see, Truro is a lunch or coffee stop; no more- sorry Truroites. I can't recommend any particular companies for deep sea fishing, but if you send away for the Nova Scotia Tourist Guide, they will have some listed there for both the Bay of Fundy and Atlantic sides. I also am not sure about current smoking regualtions in N.S. Although I lived there for 12 years, ( in the Annapolis Valley, and Cape Breton), I currently live in British Columbia. Smoking regs are provincial jurisdiction. However, as I am sure it is in South Carolina, there is an increasing sensitivity to cigarette smoke in public places. In B.C. there are some municipalities where it is banned in restaurants, and bars. I was in N.S. last year, and, although I don't think they have gone that far, I would expect you would be asked to sit in a particular section of a restaurant.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 02:56 PM
Gail

Thor,<BR>Again, thank you for your honesty. I had no idea that the travel from Yarmouth to Saint John would be that far. I figured about 160 miles would be the farthest we would ever drive in a day. I guess it is back to the drawing board for me. I really do appreciate all your help. I'm sure it will make our trip a much more pleasurable vacation. I will definitely revamp the trip to your specifications.<BR>

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 02:58 PM
Gail

Thor,<BR>Me again. Which is the best trip as far as sightseeing goes: Nova Scotia or New Brunswick?

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 05:38 PM
Thor

Gail: I may be biased because I lived in Nova Scotia for 12 years, but as an overall destination, I think Nova Scotia has more to offer than New Brunswick. I do know this province as well, as my sister used to live in Fredericton, the provicial capital, so I have spent some time there, as well as much of the rest of the province. I like the fact, that in N.S. you are never far from the sea. You can still experience the same magnificent Fundy tides on the Nova Scotia side as on the New Brunswick side, with perhaps the exceptions of seeing a major tidal bore, which occurs on the Pettocodiac River near Moncton, New Brunswick. That aside, when you combine the tranquil beauty of the Annapolis Valley with the rugged beauty of the Cape Breton Highlands, the cosmopolitain city of Halifax, and the amazing South Shore with its interesting coastal villages, and great beaches, it is hard to beat N.S. as a Maritime destination. Hope you have a great trip, and feel free to contact me for more details on this forum, or at my home e-mail address included. Have a great trip.