jasper. need we stay overnight?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2004, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we are going for 5 nights in june. we plan at least 3 nights in banff. we hear that the main reason to go to jasper, is to experience the scenery from the icefields parkway on the way. any thoughts on whether we should do the parkway as a day trip, possibly from lake louise,and possibly not all the way to jasper, or should we go all the way and therefore stay overnight in jasper. also, if we stay, should we then stay 2 nights in jasper and do sightseeing up there. are there special sights to experience around jasper that anyone recommends? thank you.
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 02:08 PM
maj

Yes, stay in Jasper (at least one night). Drive up Mt.Edith Cavell and then hike to Angel Glacier (at the top). Take the tramway up Whistler's Mountain. You can then walk to the top of the mountain if you want (views all around are tremendous). We walked trails at Maligne Canyon (you can walk short or long--whatever you want. Take a boat ride to Spirit Island at Maligne Lake. You can also visit the top part of the Icefields Parkway from Jasper (like Athabasca and Sunwapta Falls). The Icefields Parkway ends almost right at Jasper. We stayed at Becker's cabins which we were happy with--it was about 2 miles from Jasper and pretty much at the end of the Icefields Parkway. We went in the fall--I'm sure there is even more to do there in the summer. Jasper is a very small town, but a tourist town in that there are numerous places to stay and eat.

We were in the area for 11 nights and spent 3 of them in Jasper. Are you interested in hiking (even if you don't hike--you should take some of the short ones if you possibly can--that is where you see the best scenery). I'm sure you will hear from others who live up there and have been to the areas often. I have found Borealis and Judy's info pretty true to what we found on our vacation. We loved our trip--have a great vacation!

Old Apr 11th, 2004, 05:31 PM

You raise an interesting question. If you do not stay over in Jasper, where will you sleep that night? East of Jasper you will find a few places in Hinton, but Edmonton is 200 miles away.
If your plan is to return along the Icefields Parkway, your driving to leave the park is just added distance that buys you very little.

I think you could find enough to do around Jasper to occupy a full day.
My favorite attraction is the Angel Glacier and Mount Edith Cavell. The glacier itself is spectacular.

The Whistler is also a good viewpoint. You can see a long ways from up there and, if you take the tram up, there are some interesting trails to pursue.

Lake Maligne and some of the other lakes are described as being "spectacular", etc. I suppose they are, but I have taken the boat ride on the lake for the 3rd and last time.

Some of the hiking trails around Jasper are spectacular, if you are in shape for them. Bald Hills and Sulpher Skyline are good ones to think about.

But I agree, most of the beauty is along the road coming up from Banff and returning.
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 10:56 PM

It all depends on whether you like nature or not.
If you like shopping and lots of people around you, you may find Jasper too quiet.
Howeever, if you are a nature lover there are lots of things to do around Jasper, including walks, hikes (try Old Fort Point and to the ridge above; it's right on the south side of the town), you can rent a canoe on Pyramid Lake and paddle to your heart's content, if you find that too peaceful, you could do some whitewater rafting on the Athabasca River.

Take a look at this website for more suggestions for activities and attractions:

http://www.discoverjasper.com/

I actually prefer Jasper to Banff or Lake Louise !!!
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 09:58 AM
ltt

you could travel the parkway for a day trip but jasper is a really nice town. i would recommend at least one night there.
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 10:58 AM

I think you will want to stay in Jasper once you're there. It is quieter and less touristy than Banff. You may find the peace worth it to stay at least overnight. Don't skimp on Jasper!