jasper hotels

Old Jun 10th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jasper hotels

Hi. My husband and I are looking for a Jasper hotel or B&B to stay for 2 nights where we will be in nature and can walk places (another words no car for those days). Please let me know what places you know of that fit these requirements.
Thanks.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 12:53 PM

Jasper townsite is nested in pretty scenery, as it is ringed by mountains.

However, beyond just looking out towards the surrounding mountains from the town, the scenic lookout points, hikes, etc., in Jasper National Park that are worth seeing cannot be reached on foot from the town.

Jasper is an extremely unsuitable place to stay without a car. I urge you to rent one, even if only for a day.

If you cannot or will not rent a car, the next best thing is to do one of the day tours that is offered through SunDog Tours or Brewster.

Here is a website on which you can search for private home accommodations and B&Bs. You can use the web page to search for properties that have the criteria you may want (private bath, private entrance, kitchen, or whatever):

http://www.stayinjasper.com/showinns.asp

Avoid places in Jasper East and Hinton. Being half an hour and one hour from Jasper townsite by car respectively, it could be argued that they are too far away even if you have wheels. They most certainly are too far away if you're on foot.

Private home accommodations that you might consider include Crayston's, 105 Patricia Street, and Columbine House.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 02:43 PM

I agree with Judy the location of Jasper. Not many places you can easily walk to from within Jasper.

If you will go to the official to this web site you will find a listing of accommodations in private homes. These are cheaper and usually satisfactory, but you must use some judgement in selecting one.

http://www.stayinjasper.com/
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 03:11 PM

PS Depending on when you will be there, you may find that you will take what is open because July and August are popular months.

If you are there for that length of time without a car, your activities will be severely limited unless you spend a lot of time walking. The closest attraction is the Jasper Tramway and it is 4 miles from downtown.

Inside of Jasper itself, there is not a lot to do in the way of entertainment.
There are several rafting companies and many people enjoy a 2 or 3 hour trip on the Athabasca which is graded as Class 2 and suitable for novices.

The advertisements for the rafting companies say that the company provides transportation to and from the starting and ending points.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all your answers. What about the Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge? We found a good rate for that on expedia and it was recommended in The Lonely Planet.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 07:18 PM

The Jasper Park Lodge is one of the famous lodges of the Canadian Rockies. As far as I know it is first class. It is a little ways out from the townsite area.

At am average rate of $320 a night, it should be plush plus.

I still think you would be better off with a car. I personally had rather do my own looking rather than being deposited by a tour company at some location for a quick look and then back on the bus.

Old Jun 10th, 2007, 10:51 PM

I must also chime in on this.
You need a carbon spewing unit to visit the pristene beauty of this national park.

Someday we will get it together.