Search

Jasper culture?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jasper culture?

My wife and I are planning on travelling to Jasper for the summer for a few months, on sort of a working-vacation. Does anyone have any info on what sort of culture exists among the people who live there? Is it all crazy partying, or is there also a tamer environment for the calmer-type person? I guess, we're just wondering if there's enough to do in Jasper for a couple of quieter people who enjoy reading, talking, music, and the outdoors. We get the impression that a lot of wild partying goes on...
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 06:10 PM

You will love Jasper if you enjoy reading, talking, music and the outdoors.
Jasper is much less touristy than Banff or Lake Louise, although on sunny mid-summer days the two main streets (Connaught and Patricia) will have lots of strolling people, mainly families.
However, two minutes away from those rather short streets, it is lovely and quiet.
Of course there are also young people in Jasper in the summer - mainly employed by the tourist industry - and most of them seem to be outdoorsy and to tell you the truth - very interesting young folk (for example - we met one young lady from London who was learning all about the hospitality business by working at one of Jasper's hotels) - and I haven't noticed any rowdiness or crazy partying.
Mind you, we don't live in Jasper, we just visit as often as we can (which is easy for us because we live only 300 km away).
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 08:56 PM

We get to Jasper less often than Banff and Lake Louise, but I love Jasper.

Our most recent visit was in August 2002. We stayed in a B&B owned by a couple who looked as if they were in their late 50s. The husband worked in the town's maintenance department. After showing us to our rooms and giving us some tips about getting the most out of the area, the wife set off for her weekly bridge evening.

Borealis gave you a good description of Jasper, but I thought our bridge playing B&B hostess might further put your mind at rest.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 06:37 AM

I don't mean to be rude, but your question makes me laugh. I've only been to Jasper once and only for a couple of days, but trying to picture it as some sort of wild party palace has me smiling. I can't imagine a quieter more perfect town for getting out and enjoying the outdoors, or sitting outside (or inside) and reading. My only regret was that our little cabin had a fireplace but because it was summer, we didn't see any wood and assumed we couldn't use it. It wasn't until we checked out that we saw the sign in the office that for a dollar or two you could buy a bundle of firewood. It would have been nice on those chilly evenings after 9 when the entire town closed up.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks. I guess we were misinformed... We know of some people who lived there and gave us that impression, but they did live in a staff accommodation place, so maybe that's another story... Sounds good!
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 07:05 AM
ltt

jasper is a wonderful place and i find it very peaceful.