Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Jasper, Banff, Calgary & Stampede info requested!

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 12:16 PM
Cathy

During the first week of July, we will be visiting Jasper for two days, Banff/Lake Louise for two days and Calgary for three days. Having just a few days at each location I would really appreciate recommendations and information regarding popular attractions, restaurants and things we should definitely not miss. We love the outdoors, scenic drives, wine, local restaurants (vs chains) or just about anything that a traveler should not miss in visiting this region of Canada.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 08:26 PM
jim

Jasper:
Miette Hot springs (hottest in the Rockies)
Athabasca falls
Maligne Canyon (beautiful hiking trail)
Pyramid lake (lovely trails to hike, or you can rent canoes or boats)
Dine at the Jasper Park Lodge (dont stay there unless you are rich)
Golf at the Japer Park Lodge if you are into that)-one of the finest courses in Canada.
Take the tram up Whistler Mountain

Banff:
Havent been for a while, so cant recommend restaurants- Giorgios (Italian ) used to be excellent. Banff in the summer is VERY crowded, so be prepared.
See the lobby in the Banff Springs Hotel. The lounge there is a very nice place to have a drink
Johnston Canyon- Hiking trail
Lake Minnewanka and Valley of the Ten Peaks- great for a picnic, hike, or just to look at.
Take the gondola to the top of Mount (I cant remember the name)-leaves just up the road from the Banff Springs Hotel.
Bow Falls

Calgary_
Glenbow Museum
Heritage Park
Canada Olympic Park
Calgary Stampede (if it is on while you are there in July).
Princes Island Park
Eau Claire Market downtown for trendy shopping, restaurants etc.

By the way. if at all possible, drive the ICEFIELDS PARKWAY from Jasper to Banff. It is truly one of the most spectacular drives on earth. If time permits, stop at the Columbia Icefields, and take a GUIDED tour (dont go alone- tourists die here every year falling into crevaces). It is an incredible thing to see.
Have fun.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 08:42 AM
Spud

The Post Hotel Restaurant in Lake Louise is not to be missed. It is a world class restaurant with incredible service and a relaxing atmosphere, my favorite in the Banff/Jasper area. I save it for very special occasions. Lake Louise is a nice alternative to the craziness of Banff.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 09:06 AM
k

the l & w restaurant in jasper use to be good.
earls in banff is a chain restaurant - over priced but usually good food.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 02:59 PM
Sandy

If you love to walk...
Start in Chinatown on Center Street at the south end of downtown Calgary. Cross the Center Street Bridge (heading north), then take the pathway going up the hill on your left (going west towards the mountains). At the top of the hill, continue west along the escarpment. You will be treated to a lovely panoramic view of downtown and the Bow River valley. When the path ends, follow the street for about a block, then turn left; you should be continuing alongside the escarpment. At the end of the street, take the stairs down the hill (heading south). Walk along the street for a block or two, then cross the LRT tracks and head west to 10th Street. You will be in the Kensington area, which is full of coffee shops, funky boutiques, restaurants, etc. From Kensington, continue south on 10th Street across Memorial Drive and the Bow River, then head east along the river back to your starting point, or cut into Princes Island Park and head back that way. You can end up at Eau Claire Market for lunch. You can do the entire walk in an hour if you're very fast, but I usually take my time, stop for coffee...about 2 hours. It's also a nice evening walk--it stays light out in the summer til 10 p.m.

Here are some panoramic photos of Calgary that I came across recently:
www.viewcalgary.com/bigstuff --
June 22 Downtown at Dusk from Crescent Road (note: the hill is steeper than it looks in the picture); June 20 Downtown Skyline looking SW from Crescent Rd; June 20 Kensington Shops (2 pics); June 19 Eau Claire Market; November 23 2000 Center Street Bridge view during opening ceremony.

If you still want to see more, click on the links to the Home Page to access other galleries, including photos of Banff, Kananaskis, etc. The reason I don't start from the home page is that I don't know how to get to the Big Stuff page from there!

Hope you enjoy this walk as much as I do!

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 08:25 PM
Island Girl

Hi Cathy,

You've gotten some great advice here, so there's not much I can add. In Calgary, a couple of great restaurants are Teatro, near the Olympic Plaza downtown, and the River Cafe on Prince's Island are the first 2 that pop to mind. We enjoyed going to the James Joyce pub on 8th Ave for a drink. They often have live music, or you can people watch outside.

My first thought when I saw your post was "she'll never find a place to stay in Calgary". It books up really fast during Stampede so that should be your accommodations priority. Have fun!