Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is it crazy to go to Quebec City in January?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 03:15 PM
acp

My girlfriend and I are thinking about visiting Quebec City and Montreal just after New Year's? Obviously, no one can predict the weather, but can the outdoor activities be enjoyed (sledding, skiing, walking the streets) this time of year? Should we spend more time in Montreal or Quebec City? Thanks.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 03:20 PM
A.M.

Absolutely go to Quebec City. Winter is as winter does.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 04:35 PM
Donna

Just be sure you're dressed so as to be comfortable while out and about.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 03:49 AM
Valerie

In January it is cold and snowy and cold! Oh, and did I mention it was cold?<BR>But don't let that stop you. As a person who is always cold and sits with an electric heater at my feet here in NJ I find I have no proplem.<BR><BR>Being a girl from NYC &amp; NJ I can tell you that the fashionable long black wool coat and leather gloves were hung up for the week in January for thick wool mittens, heavy ski coat, with wool sweater underneath, snow boots with thick wool socks and a thick wool hat and scarf! Did I mention long johns?<BR><BR>If you are well bundled for the cold you can spend hours outside. I was amazed at how many people were out milling about when I first drove in. <BR><BR>Quebec City is great fun!

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 05:53 AM
acp

Thanks to all for the responses. My girlfriend was especially comforted by Valerie's response as she too loves to be warm.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 04:53 PM
Robyn

While I haven't been to Quebec City, Valerie's post brought up a really good rule of thumb if you're going to be here for the winter season: dress for practicality, not for fashion.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 06:02 PM
Jim

Funny, I always thought I'd like to visit Quebec and Montreal at Christmas for some reason so I'd vote yes. I bet youll get fantastic hotel rates at that time of year too. Chateau Frontenac is hard to beat!

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 12:19 PM
xxx

Not crazy. Cozy!<BR>Come to Quebec you can ski at Stoneham, Mont Ste Anne, Le Relais, Le Massif or slide at Village de Vacances Valcartier. Everyone is out walking all the time, night and day - don't worry about it. Stay one night in the Ice Hotel at Duchesnay. Cross country ski on the plaines of Abraham, walk upper St. Jean street, Cartier, and Maguire for more local experience. Have a drink at the Chateau looking over the river or at the Pape St. George in the Petit Champlain, skate at place Youville, go dancing at the Maurice/Charlotte on Grande Allee or drinking across the street at Dagobert. Bring long johns, scarf, toque, mittens, sweaters, sunglasses (the wind makes it feel like your eyeballs will freeze!) I lived in Montreal a long time, and now in Quebec, and Quebec is much prettier/more romantic - better skiing for sure. Have fun! Don't be shy, try a little french, people will appreciate your effort.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 12:07 PM
Kris

We go to either Quebec or Montreal environs every January, and it's always a great time. However, Jim's comment about getting great hotel rates then is unfortunately not true, as there are lots of us snow-lovers out there. January is lower season than February, but definitely not off-season.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 06:45 PM
Barb

Dear acp:<BR>My boyfriend and I just reserved our flight to Quebec and I, too, was wondering if we'll survive the cold! I think it's do-able if you're dressed in layers. You might find it difficult walking with 10 layers of clothing, BUT at least you'll be warm! I was wondering if you happened to get any personal hotel recommendations for Quebec City... the options are quite expansive, even in a set-price range. I have yet to determine the perfect spot. <BR>Have a great time -

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 05:29 PM
Donna

I'm with Valerie, and you really don't need ten layers. I highly recommend silk longjohns from L. L. Bean or Lands End (or Cuddlskins available at most department stores). They're nearly weightless, provide the perfect extra layer, and double as pajamas. Then I add wool slacks and a twin sweater set or a nice long sleeved tee and pullover sweater (it's often way overheated when you go indoors, so you may want to peel off one layer). My boots are fleece lined, so any sort of socks, stocking are okay. The warmest coat/jacket you can find is essential. Best is one with a hood that has closure at the neck so you don't need a hat, scarf, or umbrella. With the hood - no hat hair... (I do carry earmuffs in my pocket because I can't stand cold ears!) I prefer a 3/4 length coat versus a long one (bottom gets caught in taxi doors, drags on the floor when you sit down or walk up and down stairs, and is easy to trip over. Forget about skirts or dresses (unless you're dining in the hotel dining room). Even with a very long skirt and knee-high boots with tights, you'll experience a very cold &quot;draft&quot;. <BR><BR>It's beautiful outdoors, especially in the dark with the lights turned on all over, the moonlight shining down, and if you're lucky with a sprinkling of snow or a thin layer of ice - just enough to make the scenery truly magical!<BR><BR>And, there's nothing better than &quot;coming in from the cold&quot; for a hot bowl of soup, a mug of Chocolat Chaud, or just a nice meal, before heading out again!

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 02:54 AM
Valerie

Yes, one thing I must add is that for some reason it is very, very warm in most places there indoors in Quebec. So you have to wear something that you can take off inside. Too many layers and you'll find yourself in a restaurant with all these sweaters, shirts and clothes on the empty sit next to you!<BR><BR>I have found that one shirt/long sleeve T shirt and a good thick Wool sweater over that and under your heavy coat will work. <BR><BR>There is a nice Coffee Cafe on Rue St Paul where I love to walk to on a cold early morning for my Chocolat Chaud.