Info. about Woodbridge, outside of Toronto

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2005, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to visit relatives in Woodbridge next month. We may stay with them, but just in case does anyone have any hotel reccs? And how would I best get to the main parts of Toronto? We will have a car.
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 05:20 AM

Woodbridge is a long way from downtown Toronto, and you will definitely need a car, if only to get to the end of the subway (Kipling), You probably also take the GO Train to downtown from Bramalea.

I'm not aware of any hotels in Woodbridge itself (there may well be some there), but there are quite a few airport hotels which are not too far away.
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 10:45 AM
BAK

The good news is that you're close to the McMichael Art Gallery in Kleinberg; beautiful country setting and a wide variety of Canadian art.

Other than that, you're relatively close to a lot of bargain shopping in the highway seven / highway 400 area.

But Woodbridge is a long way from downtown; allow yourself at least an hour by car, although a little less coming back from downtown late at night.

What kinds of things are you interested in, and where are you coming from?

Maybe you'd be better off goign to visit the country north of Woodbridge, for instance.

BAK
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 11:56 AM

I'd rec the Dodge Suites Hotel on Steeles Avenue, just west of Hwy400, bit south of Woodbridge. The hotel is built around a gorgeous courtyard that you can't see from the road. http://www.dodgesuites.com/index.html
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 12:08 PM

Non rush hour, it is about a 15 min drive from Woodbridge to the subway stop located in Yorkdale Mall. Take hwy 400 south to 401 east, exit at Dufferin. BTW there is a Holiday Inn across from Yorkdale that might also be convenient to both your relatives and transportation downtown.
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 03:20 AM
Original Poster

I'm a city person, so I would like to get into Toronto to do some siteseeing. I'm coming from the New York City area, and am used to driving in the city. When I go into NYC on the weekends, I usually can find parking on the streets, because I know where to look. Is this even a possibility in Toronto?

I'm a foodie so I'd like to check out some bakeries and markets. I'm also interested in unique boutiques. The main purpose of the trip is to visit family, so I will probably only get into Toronto maybe 2 days to do some siteseeing.
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 04:39 PM
BAK

Foodie stuff:

Woodbridge is full of Italians, so expect exceptional fruit and vegetables and desserts even in little shopping malls.

You should visit the St. Lawrence Market, in downtown Toronto. Saturday morning is best, but Monday through Friday, daytime, is fine, too.

Pick some ethinic favorites, and compare and contrast to New York. Buy Toronto Life magazine to get good, current, restaurant reviews. (sort of like New York Magazine)

Weekend on street parking is easy enough, at $2 or $3 an hour, depending on the location. Or just park in a lot, of which there are many.

The only parking bargain in downtown is under giant office buildings on weekends. But compared to New York, you'll find prices good.

BAK
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 10:07 PM

There is a new Marriot in Concord at highway 7 (Woodbridge main drag) and Highway 400 (north/south freeway)

Courtyard by Marriott, 150 Interchange Way, Concord, Ontario L4k 5P7, 905-660-9938
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 08:21 AM

"Non rush hour, it is about a 15 min drive from Woodbridge to the subway stop located in Yorkdale Mall. Take hwy 400 south to 401 east, exit at Dufferin. "

1. This is crazy. It will take 15 minutes upon arrival just find a parking place at Yorkdale and then to get to the subway from. 30-45 minutes is far more realistic.

2. Street parkibng in Toronto is virtually nil. They also are extremely aggressive giving out parking tickets. I've never been any place where you were so likely to get a ticket for illigal parking.

3. Comining from NY, you will find almost almost nothing unique in Toronoto. It is big, but it has no local character.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 01:16 PM

LOL....gotta love those trolls.......

Jerry
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

So you are saying that Imhornet's info is incorrect?
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 04:56 AM
BAK

Re>So you are saying that Imhornet's info is incorrect?

1 is right.

2 is wrong. The very center of downtown, from Church to University, Front to Queen, has no on-street parking. But east and west of there, still a five minute walk to the giant office towers, offers on-street parking from after to morning rush hour to the start of the evening rushhour, plus evening parking. Lots of spots. Buy tickets from a vending machine. Depending on the location, $2 or $3 an hour. During the day, usually a two hour limit; lots of time to park and have lunch.

3/ Bovine excrement. Toronto's a very differnet city from New York, and there's lots to see and enjoy.

BAK
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 05:05 AM

AP

Hornet is quite correct; the Toronto police do aggessively ticket ILLEGALLY parked vehicles.

In my experience, the DRIVE from Woodbridge to Yorkdale is about 15 min., at non rush hour, no collisions , rain or snow...Toronto is a BIG city, we have traffic, you just plan around it.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 01:05 PM

"3/ Bovine excrement. Toronto's a very differnet city from New York, and there's lots to see and enjoy."

Like what. The same ethnic restaurants that you can get better in NY? The same culture, ethnic neighborhoods that you can get better in New York? Sense of history, scenary or being in a different place? Hardly. Toronto is one big slice of white bread. The biggest tourist attraction in Toronto is a shopping center, the Eaton Centre. That tells you a lot.

It really is hard to imagine that city as big as Toronto can have so little personality, but there is it. At least Montreal gives you French culture, Vancouver gioves you beatiful scenary and Winnepeg gives you mosquitos. Toronto? Nothing.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 06:33 PM
hdm

If Imhornet thinks that the biggest tourist attraction in Toronto is the Eaton Centre, my guess is it's because he's never gone to an art gallery, museum, the theatre, Kensington Market, Queen West Village, the Beaches, Harbourfront, the incredible ethnic neighbourhoods, the Distillery District, Roy Thompson Hall, Massey Hall, the summer Blues festival, the Ex, the several jazz festivals that take place in the summer, the festivals and street fairs every weekend throughout the summer, the St. Lawrence Market area and the Sunday flea market across the road, the international festival of authors, the myriad children's festivals, the many events at the University of Toronto, the busker festival...I could go on and on.

Oh, Imhornet, my dear -- time to get your head out of the shopping malls and see what's going on in the city!

AP6380, you've been given some good advice from people who really know the city. I agree that it's a good idea to drive to Yorkdale and take the subway, just so you can walk around downtown and not have to worry about upping the parking meter. However, if you do decide to drive downtown, just make sure you keep you eye on the legal parking times. Even better, find a parking lot with a big white P in a green circle -- that's City of Toronto parking and it's fairly reasonable. If you're a foodie I think you'll really enjoy the St. Lawrence Market (don't forget to go downstairs) but you should wander around Kensington Market too (which backs up to Chinatown).

This is a wonderful, lively city. Walk, talk to people, eat, enjoy!

If you want some ethnic restaurant suggestions, I'm sure we'd all be happy to provide them. (Well, not Imhornet. He's eating a Big Mac at the food court in the Eaton Centre.)
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 05:37 PM

If you're driving from Woodbridge into downtown Toronto you can go south on the 400, east on the 401 and south on Avenue Road. Avenue changes its name to University Street in the downtown core. You might like to walk around Bloor Street/Yorkville, Front Street/St. Lawrence Market or head to the Harbourfront area. As you drive along Avenue Road south of the 401 you will pass areas that most tourists don't see because they stay in the downtown core. There are some beautiful (non-chain)stores and some wonderful local food emporiums like Brunos and Pusateri's (south of the 401 and north of Lawrence). There is a new Pusateri's in Yorkville but it is not as extensive as the north one. You will also pass the Eglinton/Avenue Road area and that is also interesting. I would love some of our guests to explore the city beyond Yorkville and you definitely have the chance if you drive through the city this way. An alternative route is Allen Road south just past Yorkdale but it is a little more complicated since it ends at Eglinton and you would have to make your way to a southbound street. Toronto is great and I hope you have the chance to explore it! By the way, some of the hotels mentioned are on Priceline, if you use that to get hotel rooms.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 11:05 AM

"Oh, Imhornet, my dear -- time to get your head out of the shopping malls and see what's going on in the city!"

Notive how there are no specifics.

" (Well, not Imhornet. He's eating a Big Mac at the food court in the Eaton Centre.)"

Notice the pathetic attempt at a personal attack. This is what people do when they have nothing to say.

Old Oct 10th, 2005, 11:28 AM
hdm

AP6380,
Imhornet is wrong. I've listed several specifics and I'm happy to give you details if you wish. If you'd like specific information about what's happening in the city for the time you're going to be here, you can check out www.toronto.com (admittedly, not the world's best website), the sites for Roy Thompson Hall/Massey Hall, Mirvish Productions, etc. For a more immediate look at what's on www.nowmagazine.com is good for the week before you come or you can pick up a free copy just about anywhere. Also look at www.torontolife.com.

For restaurants, if you have a particular interest, just let us know. Most of the people who've responded to you have a great deal of knowledge about this city.

Some not so much.

PS If you're coming here in October and you have a car, you might be interested in taking in one or two of the fall fairs that take place in small towns north of the city. Just type Fall Fairs in Ontario into your search engine.

Old Oct 10th, 2005, 06:55 PM
hdm

Re the St. Lawrence Market, the south market is closed on Mondays and the Farmers Market in the north building runs on Saturdays (sorry, I'd previously said Sunday but actually both markets are closed on Sunday).

It's a fun place to visit and to eat so if you go on Saturday you get the benefit of both markets. (www.stlawrencemarket.com)
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 10:25 PM

NYC - Sashmi dinner in midtown near the Waldorf Astoria US$65 or $90 CDN at the time.
Toronto - Sashmi anywhere CDN$16.

What a rip off I thought as I charged the $90 dinner to my corporate card.