Reload this Page >

How long in Quebec City?

Search

How long in Quebec City?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 05:03 AM
Susan

How long in Quebec City?

We're going to look at colleges in New England in July and then taking the train to Quebec City - is 5 nights too long to stay in QC? I'm looking at either the Hotel Acadia or Dominion 1912 - any suggestions? Thanks!

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 06:39 AM
Daniel Williams

Susan--<BR><BR>5 days too much? I'll put it this way; I'm always sad to leave Quebec City, I have such a good time when I'm there. Mind you, though, I've only visited in the summer and the longest trip was 3 days and I do speak French. I often think when I'm there how much I'd enjoy LIVING there, I appreciate the energy that much. Although I might add, I have a anglo-Canadian friend who moved to Q.C. about a year ago and while he appreciates the city on many levels, he finds he needs to go to Montreal every once in awhile to spice things up. <BR><BR>Really though, ultimately the answer to that question depends on you. In terms of restaurants, nightlife, culture, pleasant walks, historical tours, there is no shortage of things to do. Pick up the alt weekly Voir Quebec for details of what's going on around town...it's in French but many entertainment listings should be straightforward. That said, I think there are types of people who might get bored after a few days; I think it depends if you're the type of person who enjoys immersing themselves in another culture or not.<BR><BR>DAN

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 09:31 AM
sandra

Susan - we spend 3 days at the Acadia Hotel last summer and found it a nice budget hotel. Be mindful that it is two or three buildings that have been combined into one hotel. No elevators and narrow staircases. They have a charming breakfast room with an outdoor patio. It's continental breakfast, rolls, cereal, fruit for $5.00 US. We liked the location and found everyone helpful. <BR><BR>There is alot to do in QC -museum, shops, outdoor cafes etc. The tour of the fort is very good and given in English or French. Inquire when you book or ahead of time to plan to see the changing of the guard. We missed it due to the guards going to the Promonande area for Canada Day. If your there on Canada Day (July 1) they have quite a nice bit of festivities on the Promonade - free Birthday Cake, lots of entertainment both day and night. We saw a firedancer there that was quite amazing. <BR><BR>If you're into biking you can rent bikes in lower town down by the river/farmers market and bike on the bike trail out to Montmorency falls. It's less than 10 miles there (maybe only 6, I've forgotten) and very flat. Not the most scenic ride but a nice way to spend a day and the falls are amazing. They have a gondola to take you to the top and you can walk across the falls and/or have lunch at the top. There was a restaurant there but we had brought sandwiches and had a picnic.<BR><BR>Enjoy your visit.<BR><BR><BR>

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 05:18 PM
Celine

Susan, just called Hotel Dominion 1912 to book a room in July (July 5-9 to be exact) and they are completely sold out!! So call them asap if you want to go there...

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 04:59 AM
Susan

The Dominion looks like a fantastic property, but wouldn't it be better to be INSIDE the walls? Susan

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 05:55 AM
Daniel Williams

It doesn't matter if you're inside or outside the walls; it's a very compact city and some very charming, interesting parts of Q.C. are outside the walls. I would say, though, that you want to stay within 10-15 streets approximately of the walled portion.<BR><BR>

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 12:16 PM
Celine

Good question...Daniel, I'm staying at the Loews Le Concorde, do you think that is too far to walk to Old Quebec?? It's located on the Grande Allee...

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 03:25 PM
joe

Great location. You will only be about 5 minutes to the old city and you'll be right on La Grande Alle

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 04:05 PM
Daniel Williams

Joe's right on target there. Not only are you close to the Old City but La Grande Allee, I think, is a great street, particularly in the summer when all the restaurants, pubs and cafes have their terrasses open and so many people are out and about enjoying life.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 04:59 PM
Celine

Great...thanks for the info! I can't wait!!!