Hotels in Vancouver....

Search

Hotels in Vancouver....

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in Vancouver....

I know Aug. 18 is the high season but geez, couldn't believe that hotels were from $150 and up (aah...for the good old days when the Canadian dollar was worth 1/3 less!!) We don't have a car so want to stay near the cruise port, but am worried about staying at a hotel too inexpensive, as it probably is in a seedy area (my cabin mate does NOT want to do homestay with Hospitality Club-which I enjoyed quite a bit in Europe!)! Is there a Canadian equivalent to Motel 6's in that area? I don't mind being near Chinatown. So worried about the cheaper hotels, when I read TripAdvisor there are often horror stories about them. Well, know it won't be cheap, but if you know of some hotels not too much and you've stayed there (I'll overlook the tripadvisor reviews) please post-thanks everyone!!!!!)
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 07:39 PM

Check out the YWCA in downtown. We stayed years ago. It was inexpensive, well located, safe, clean and we had full access to the Y.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 07:43 PM

Here's the url:

http://www.ywcahotel.com/

I notice they quote the Fodors Guide on the first page of the website! How cool is that?
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Orcas, I will look into that-was very helpful, if you're ever in L.A. contact me-like to show you around, to thank you!! Posted something on CL looking for that-and the one response was a fancy hotel (thought it was more like backpackers that perused that site)-or could be there wouldn't more responses because few people reading that stayed at a hotel!!!
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 12:13 PM

I hope that works out for you. Here is another possibility, if the Y is booked:

http://www.ubcconferences.com/accommodation

This is through the UBC. I stayed in a dorm on the UBC campus once when I was with a group. I believe there are also accomodations for individuals. The campus is some distance from the downtown and you would need to take a car or bus to get there. Some of these options are closed by August 18, but it looks like there are also some possibilities from this website. Let us know how it goes! Have a good trip.