Search

Hotels in Toronto

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in Toronto

Hello all,

I will be traveling solo in Toronto this summer. I've been there once before, but it's been awhile and I didn't get to wander around as much as I should have (just stayed along the areas of the PATH and not much further out from that).

I am checking out some hotels and I wanted to see if I could get anyone's opinions on these as far as the area goes or to see if anyone has other suggestions. I'm trying to stay in the range of around $125-$175 and here is what I came up with:

Novotel on The Esplanade - pros: one of the lowest prices, near the market. cons: not as close to a subway line as I'd prefer.

Cambridge suites: 15 Richmond Street East, this place seems okay, but got a little pricey when throwing in the wifi access, which is something I need, but then I could go to a coffee shop if I need to. How is this area?

Hotel VIctoria: - 56 Yonge Street, looks like it has free wifi.

Holiday Inn - 111 Lombard Street

Any other possible suggestions? My main concern is easy access to subway/streetcars/buses and walking distance to some of the main areas for shopping, etc.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 04:28 AM
BAK

Those are all fine. Victoria is more New York - like, Small lobby, no on site parking.

Novatel is not really very far from the subway, eithr King or Union, and is closer than the Lombard Holiday Inn.

Cambridge Suites is often forgotten about; seems popular with business people who stay for a while. Close enough to Starbucks and WiFi, but so is Novatel and Victoria.

Novatel and Victoria are teh most convenient, Holiday Inn is farthest from most thngs, but none are objectionablly far.

I'd pick, in order, Novatel, Victoria (knowing the room won't be big and swank), Cambridge Suites, Holiday Inn.

BAK
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. For some reason, I thought the Novotel was further from Union station. Not sure why.

I think for now, I've narrowed it down to the Novotel or Cambridge. I am going to be there for 2 weeks and I need a fridge in the room to help cut down on costs. Found that Hotel Victoria's room with the fridge costs (but has wifi) about $30 more than Cambridge, which has the fridge (but no wifi).

The Novotel looks okay and is about $40 a day less than Cambridge, although according to trip advisor, Cambridge has very high reviews.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 11:49 AM
BAK

We often park behind the Novatel and walk to the giant downtown bank towers for meetings. It's not very far away from lots of intresting places, so that should not be a worry.

Here's a walk: leave east end of Union station. You'll be at Bay and Front.

Walk one block east. Now at Yonge and Front.

Walk one more short block, past the front of the Sony Centre (or whatever the old O'Keefe and then Hummingbird Centre is now called.)

Now you are at Scott Street. Turn right-south and walk a block, and you are almost at the Novatel.

And you'll be only a couple of blocks from St. Lawrence Market, if you need food for your visit, or a Metro supermarket, or lots of restaurants, incuding the Hot House, which is where Toronto Fodorites meet once a year.

BAK
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 12:17 PM

If you are debating b/t Novotel ( just around the corner from Union station) & Cambridge Suites, reserve both & decide when you get there.
Or, go w/ Novotel & if you don't like it, switch to Cambridge Suites for your 2nd week.

You may also want to check www.onekingwest.com
And, Hyatt Regency Toronto( used to be Holiday Inn on King)located @ 370 King West. www.hyatt.com
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 12:53 PM

I'd also suggest the Strathcona which is just at the side of the Fairmont Royal York and across the road from Union Station. The subway is essentially below it. It's not glamorous but it gets decent reviews and the location is great.
http://www.thestrathconahotel.com/

The Holiday Inn on Lombard is easy access to the streetcar which will take you to the subway in a few stops. It's it the Market area which is one of my favourite areas of the city. When I win the lottery, that's where I'm buying a condo.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional suggestions!

Part of the problem with trying to reserve the best rate for both the Novotel and Cambridge is that the best rate is a non-refundable rate if I cancel. The Novotel offers the same plan at a higher rate for a no penalty if I cancel before 3 days from when I arrive.

Also saw that the Novotel doesn't have mini fridges in the room and only has a stocked wet bar, which I never use. Yet, I'm looking at roughly $40 CAD savings a day.

I looked at the Strathcona and it looks fine. If I throw in the optional fridge though, it's about the same price as the Cambridge. Yet, I think if I do without a fridge, I would narrow my choice down to Strathcona or Novotel.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 06:53 PM

Go w/ Novotel. Just remove the stuff from the mini bar fridge, & put your own stuff in. Then put the mini bar stuff back in b/f you leave. But, tell the front desk what you are doing b/c sometimes these mini bars are computerized to bill you as soon as you remove an item. Call them b/f you remove the stuff. Also leave a note for housekeeping to tell them to just leave things "as is". There is a hotel I like in Montreal & I always remove their drinks & stock it w/ my own water, juice,coke, wine, cheese, etc

If they cannot allow you to remove the stuff w/o billing you ask them if they cld provide you w/ a mini fridge( bar fridge) for your 2 week stay.
Old Mar 17th, 2010, 05:11 AM

Contact One King West... its a long stay property that will negotiate a rate for two weeks... the rooms include a small fridge, kitchenette, and washer/dryer... for two weeks, you should be able to work something out... you might also see if they have a corporate rate that applies to you...good luck!
Old Mar 17th, 2010, 11:29 AM
ADR

Have you called any of the hotels and gotten rate quotes on the extended stays? I know that they do 14 day rates or maybe they match rates.

I know Cambridge Suites is actually having a 24hr sale just today though.

1 king west and cambridge suite are located practically on yonge st and have The PATH and subway/streetcar access a minute or less.

Want somewhere near the Eaton Centre, which is the main downtown mall or walk around downtown yonge st/queen st cambridge is the most convenient out of all the choices. Tim Horton's is across the street and so is Starbucks, all a minute or less to get to.

Really make the choice based on what your plans are. ex. If you are coming for business or if it's all leisure, or shopping or sightseeing and figure which area is the best place for you to be around.

Good luck.
Old Mar 17th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions, everyone.

I called Novotel and they don't have mini fridges available at an extra cost. I considered making a reservation with them and doing what OceanBreeze above suggested, but then checked out Cambridge again just to see if there were any changes. As ADR mentioned above, looks like they have a sale taking place today. 30% off! I decided to book my reservation with them. They have excellent reviews on tripadvisor and the prices were $139-$132 a night with the included breakfast and internet (a couple days ago, it was about $155 without breakfast and internet).

1 King West seemed very appealing, but was still just a little out of my price range (especially with the current exchange rate with the sinking US$). I like what they offer with the kitchenette and washer and dryer. It is definitely on my list for the next time.

I plan to be all over the city, so my main concern was the location of public transit as I won't be renting a car (I never rent cars when visiting other cities).

Thanks again for all of your help. I might have some more questions later once I map out a rough itinerary.

(I've been to Toronto a few years ago, but I went with my elderly parents and they couldn't walk around much and they don't venture out using public transportation in other cities. They prefer using hop-on hop-off and tour buses even if it costs more because they like to go with what they feel comfortable with. So, I didn't get a chance to see much of anything except for the PATH, CN Tower, a quick bus ride through Bloor, and a quick stop at St Lawrence Market. I plan on wandering a lot this time around).
Old Mar 17th, 2010, 07:32 PM

Bouradly ( I just "got" your screen name! )
Sounds as if you have found a great place to stay for a great price!

Enjoy Toronto & post back anytime!
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 05:46 AM

Bouradly! I got it! (I'm just a little slow and I needed ob to get me looking at it again.)
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 12:50 PM
ADR

I don't get it...is it supposed to be bradly?

Congrats on getting an awesome rate, especially downtown, usually it's pretty high. Cambridge is great though, lots of space in the room, comfy bed, and so close to everything. Ask them for help too, they give great recommendations for places to go and any events in town during your stay.

Cheers!
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 12:58 PM

ADR, think about To Kill A Mockingbird. (Or as it's known in our house, Tequila Mockingbird.)