Hotel in the Beaches

Jun 18th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Hotel in the Beaches

Hi all,

Hoping to head to TO for a weekend in July and wondering if there are any accommodations in or near the Beaches?

Also, does anyone have a link to a good map of TO by neighbourhood? My guide book divides the sights, etc. by neighbourhood, but I can't tell where the neighbourhoods actually are!

Thanks, LUCY
Jun 18th, 2008, 07:14 PM
BAK

Beware of the DAys Inn in the Beaches, assuming it is still in business.

BAK
Jun 19th, 2008, 05:16 AM
Jun 19th, 2008, 07:31 AM

Some of those positive reviews on TripAdvisor have to be plants from employees or the owner's relatives. I used to live a few blocks from there. It's a dive - I wouldn't go near the place.
Jun 19th, 2008, 12:42 PM

Days Inn is the only one I can remember in the beaches. I wouldn't go there either.

I booked a downtown hotel and just drove to the beaches area. If you don't want to drive (and it WAS a big pain in the butt) you can take the streetcar there or take the subway as far as it goes (I don't think it goes to the Beaches) and then walk the rest.
Jun 19th, 2008, 12:53 PM

This map may help you...

http://tinyurl.com/5fxyz5
Jun 19th, 2008, 01:15 PM

The subway doesn't go to the Beach -you can take it east from Bloor/Yonge to Coxwell, Woodbine or Main stations and transfer to buses going south. The Woodbine south goes right to the Beach near the Olympic pool, Main bus south goes to Queen Street - the main drag in the area. Coxwell you can get off at Kingston Road and Queen.

www.ttc.ca
Jun 21st, 2008, 06:45 AM

Try to find a hotel at either Bloor, King or Queen Street downtown. From Bloor, you can take the subway and then transfer to the bus, as Sally already mentioned. If you stay near King or Queen, you can take the streetcar non-stop right to the Beaches.

There is no parking in the Beaches, so I wouldn't drive.

Here's a "neighbourhoods map" from the City of Toronto website:

http://tinyurl.com/52y2w2

Here's the City of Toronto website, which is actually a pretty good sourse of information:

http://www.toronto.ca/index.htm
Jun 21st, 2008, 08:13 AM

I agree that it's smarter to take the streetcar than to drive, because parking is difficult in that area, but I wouldn't go so far as to say there is "no parking." There's a parking lot on Lee Avenue just south of Queen. It's extremely busy on weekends but for tourists visiting during the week it shouldn't be a problem.
Jun 21st, 2008, 10:51 AM

The map site recommended by apreelondee is really a demographic map based on census and political areas which, while fascinating and useful to a geographer or politician, is not terribly relevant to a tourist. For example, nowhere on it will one find such tourist neighbourhoods as the Entertainment district, the Distillery district, Greektown, or the Gay Village.

I think that these maps might be more useful for a tourist:

http://www.mytorontomeeting.com/Visitor/Maps

Search this Thread