Reload this Page >

homebase jasper/lake louise/banff?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2002, 10:28 AM
carolyn

greetings!<BR><BR>have never been to area, but will be arriving in jasper next summer (june, 2003) by rail. probably will have 3 days in area (though perhaps more). from maps, it looks like furthest drive is from jasper to lake l and banff, with lake l pretty close to banff. <BR>ques: is it a good idea to stay at lake l and go to banff for day trip(s), then head back to jasper from lake l the afternoon before morn of jasper departure for vancouver (don't want to risk going back to jasper same day and miss the train!) IT ALL LOOKS SO BEAUTIFUL!! and want to use our (11-yr old son and myself) time as best as possible. also, any thoughts on whether chateau lake l or post is better for lodging -- and are both really worth the extra buckaroos? other options that are memorable and less expensive? finally, i assume there is no prob in getting to rental car place from train station in jasper? is there some consensus that renting a car for the lake l/banff leg would be better than paying for coach tour/trip?<BR>any info is much appreciated.<BR>carolyn (and dylan!)

Old May 15th, 2002, 12:16 PM
Maxine

I assume you will drive the Icefields Parkway to Lake Louise. It takes several hours; most of the day, if you plan to stop for Sno coach/views along the way. You may have less time than you think to tour Lake Louise and Banff. I assume you will not spend any time in Jasper?

Old May 15th, 2002, 02:57 PM
stephie

I am a fan of renting a car as opposed to tours because then you can stop when you want where you want.<BR><BR>Drive the parkway. Stop along the way and enjoy the drive. Lake Louise and Banff are about 45 minutes away from each other.<BR><BR>In Jasper on the way out see Mt. Edith Cavel and angel glacier. Do columbia icefields. At lake louise check out the chateau or stay there! Hike around the lake, rent a canoe or hike up to the tea house.<BR><BR>Johstone canyon in Banff is really nice. The town has some neat shops if you are into that.

Old May 15th, 2002, 06:18 PM
Susan

Don't try to fit Banff and LL in. You don't have enough time and you'll drive yourself crazy. All your 11 yo will see is the inside of the car. Stay at Pyramid Lake and canoe and horseback. Drive out to Maligne Canyon for hiking. Drive up to Mt. Edith Cavell for another hike. Get there before 10 am because the parking fills up quickly. Your son will love the Cavell hike because he can see a glacier up close and touch an "iceberg" that has broken off the glacier and floated across the lake. Go up the gondola outside of Jasper. You'll find plenty to keep you busy. The Parkway is fabulous but you need a week to do the area. Your son would love the Sno Coach onto the glacier but it will take a day for you to drive down there and back to Jasper.

Old May 16th, 2002, 09:23 AM
x

i agree with the above post. parkway is gorgeous but i would stay put in jasper. rushing around in a car does not sound very appealing to me. plenty to see & do around jasper. (besides, banff is PACKED in the summer.)

Old May 16th, 2002, 09:39 AM
jmm

The Parkway drive is superb and I think not to be missed - but it will take a day to do it properly. Book your rental car BEFORE you arrive in Jasper or you may be disappointed. Given your limited time I would skip Banff. Just do Jasper and LL.

Old May 16th, 2002, 11:05 AM
carolyn

thanks for input. we really want to see the parkway (icefields) and, i confess, i really hate to come that far and not see "the castle"! "howz 'bout" -- we stay overnight in jasper (we arrive 2:30pm by rail), maybe a late afternoon canoe ride. next morn, drive parkway to lake l, making a full day of it, and stay the night at lake l. early next morn, make a day trip to banff (45 min away, it seems), walk, see hotel, eat lunch, then return to lake l for 2nd night there. perhaps this would leave us time that afternoon to "stretch." next morn, spend time at lake l, then leave at some point for jasper. (b/t trip down parkway and trip up parkway, we may be able to catch most of it...) then spend night in jasper, add another day (and night) there too, to catch mt edith cavell. we would have another half day as well, as train for vancouver leaves around 3:30pm. does this sound like a reasonable "compromise?" also, how far is mt edith cavell from jasper? it sounds great and my son (and I!) would definitely love to touch iceberg..up close. i assume the glacier trip along parkway is different enough from glacier experience at mt edith cavell... maybe latter can be our destination that full day after we get back to japser from lake l..? <BR>if any more thoughts, much appreciated...<BR>carolyn

Old May 17th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Susan

We were disappointed in the Banff Springs Hotel. A nice lobby but then dark hallways leading to a crowded small patio restaurant. Most of the areas are only open to guests. We did like the lunch we had at the clubhouse overlooking the golf course. The falls were also fun to see. Your son might like the gondola in Banff. Just don't attempt to walk up or down the mountain. It will take up too much of your time. In LL your son will enjoy the rocks and fossils on the trail at Lake Moraine. You can rent boats on Lake Louise which would be fun. If you do drive down to Banff (it is only 45 min) make sure you drive back on the Parkway (I think the Bow Springs)preferably in the evening. The best part of your son's trip will be spotting wildlife. This is a great place to see some. Mt Edith Cavell is right outside Jasper. The drive up the mountain is what takes time. From what I can remember you could probably fit that in in a morning if you left early. The glacier is across the small lake and small 1-2 foot "icebergs" float across. You can hear the glacier cracking. Have fun!

Old May 17th, 2002, 09:07 AM
JMM

Carolyn - sounds busy but doable. Have a great time.