help with travel ideas Toronto/Niagra/Montreal/Quebec

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are hoping to spend our 1 year anniversary in Canada sometime in the end of July 2007-beginning of August 2007. We think we'll have around 10 days and will be on a budget. Neither of us have ever been to Canada and are hoping to see Toronto, Niagra Falls, Niagra on the Lake, Montreal, and Quebec City. We would be coming from Chicago. What we are trying to figure out is whether we should drive versus fly. I know there are trains that can take us between most major cities. Would we need a car to do Niagra Falls, Niagra on the lake, and the surrounding wine region? Can you give me some suggestions as to itineraries if we did drive or fly?
thanks I know I'm asking for a lot of info in one post.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 05:16 PM

I would suggest driving. You will get to Sarnia or Windsor Ontario in about 2-5 hours and then Toronto or Niagara Falls about 2-4 hours from there. It is a fairly straightforward drive. I would highly recommend Niagara on the Lake as a stop for a night or two. Then you may want to head to Toronto for a night as it is just about 1-2 hours away. Montreal is about a 5 hour drive from Toronto but is a place you will probably really enjoy as young folk and I think others will post some of the great things to do there. For absolute romance on your first anniversary Quebec City will be perfect as it is the most European like city in North America and I think you will love it. If you try to fly you will end up driving anyway as it is kind of like saying you want to go to Detroit, Cleveland and New York City. You could fly to Toronto or Montreal and then rent a car to do the rest. Sorry Ive always been partial to driving!
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 04:25 AM

Take a look at my travel blog at www.xanga.com/urbino as we covered all the places you mention from our base in Toronto.
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 05:00 AM
BAK

I'd drive. There are lots of things to see inbetween the cities, too.

Chicago to Detroit to Point Pelee to Noagara to Toronto to Prince EDward County (Picton, etc., near Belleville) to Kngston to Montreal -- maybe to Quebec City, maybe not -- back to MOntreal, to Ottawa, to Algonquin Park, Gravenhurst, etc. in the Muskoka area, to Sarnia to Port Huron, Michigan, to home.

BAK

Old Nov 13th, 2006, 09:34 PM

If you are thinking of driving to Quebec City from Montreal, I would suggest taking the ferry across the St Lawrence River (from Levi) vs taking the bridge. Easy to get to from the highway just follow the signs for the ferry dock. This has a better view of the old city with its surrounding walls. Drive will take you approx. 4 hours from Montreal.

Old Nov 15th, 2006, 02:06 AM

We took 3 hours to drive from Montreal airport (where we collected hire car) to Quebec City using the bridge. The ferry trip to Levis is a pleasant way to spend an hour as a foot passenger. I don't see why you'd want the extra expense of car ferry??
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 06:23 PM

I guess for the romance. If you have the time, wouldn't you want to experience the true beauty of a place vs rushing to get there especially a romantic place like Quebec City.