Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help with planning first trip to Canada!!

Jul 30th, 2002, 06:18 AM
Laura

I am in the earliest stages of planning a trip to Canada in July 2003. Tentatively, we are planning to fly into Quebec City and stay for about 3 days before proceeding to a convention at Le Manoir Richelieu in La Malbaie. After our 6-day convention, we wish to proceed further east to either Nova Scotia, New Brunswick or Prince Edward Island (or a combination of the 3) for a week. I believe we will probably return to the U.S. via Hallifax.

Can anyone give us some advice on our itinerary and what to see? I have ordered travel books to read up on the areas but I value personal experience so much more.

We are a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 teenagers). We really like upscale bed & breakfasts with lots of character as opposed to hotels.

Any advice/guidance is greatly appreciated!

Laura

Jul 30th, 2002, 06:27 AM
Candice

Since you are going to be near the water for a lot of the trip, you may want to book a boat tour around these cities so your children are entertained and you can see more. Nova Scotia, and P.E.I are bit much to do in one week. I would pick one area such as the Cape Breton area of Nova Scotia and Halifax or fly directly to P.E.I. and go to the beach. It depends, if you like this area then you must like seafood and boats. Stick to the water, boats, seafood restaurants and so on. There are so many waterways it's just the only way to see anything.

Jul 30th, 2002, 09:17 AM
Louis

To go to NB from La Malbaie, take the ferry in St-Siméon to Rivière-du-Loup. Costs about 50 CAD, but will save you 4 hours of driving. From Rivière-du-Loup, you can take Route 185 to Edmunston, NB.

Jul 30th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Another Laura

You'll LOVE Quebec City. My husband and I were there 2 summers ago and it's great. Highlights include several sights just outside the city -- less than 30 minutes away by car: Montmorency Falls (gorgeous and 1 1/2 times as high as Niagara Falls); the Grand Canyon (a beautiful gorge with smaller waterfalls--there are several suspension bridges you can cross over); and the Isle D'Orleans (a quaint island with one road looping all the way around -- several tiny towns along the way -- check out the chocolate/homemade ice cream shop in one, art galleries, eat an authentic Quebecois meal at one of the restaurants there with men playing the spoons, and be sure to buy the fresh strawberries and raspberries along the roadside, the best we've ever eaten!

Jul 30th, 2002, 11:35 AM
LJ

For a range of B & B selections (and lots of pictures to help you judge quality) try BBCanada.com. They have provided our family with places to stay across Canada.