Help with Niagara itinerary

Old Apr 20th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Niagara itinerary

Please tell me if I'm crazy or not. Here is the deal:

There are 4 of us, and our friend is getting married in Windsor in August. We live in North Carolina and were hoping to make the most of flying up to Canada for the weekend. We are going to fly to Detroit, rent a car, then drive to Windsor where we will be staying Friday and Saturday night for the wedding. Our idea is to wake up Sunday morning, check out, and drive to Niagara. I know it's about a 4 hour drive. Then we would stay in Niagara Falls on the Canada side (is this a good idea?) and see the falls for the rest of the afternoon and evening and do whatever else there is to do. Next day (Monday) we would wake up, check out, then drive to wineries at Niagara-on-the-Lake and do wine tasting/tours. Then drive back to Detroit to catch a 6:30 flight. Even as I write this it almost feels ridiculous to cram this much in, but we really want to try to see more in Canada while we're up there. Does this seem do-able at all to anyone? Or does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 11:28 AM

No, it's not that crazy. It's doable, but you might not have too much time on your last day to sightsee, because it's 4 hours just to get back to Windsor. Still need to cross back to Detroit and get to the airport.

Have you considered flying to BUF instead? While you'll have to drive to Windsor on your first day, you'll have more time to enjoy the Niagara area. And in my opinion, it easier and faster to go from the Buffalo airport to Niagara Falls than from DTW to Windsor.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 12:27 PM
BAK

Your plan is fine, and NF is well worth the visit.

So you drive a bit. Big deal, and the roads are good.

Welcome.

BAK
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 02:19 PM

Sure , it's very doable. Go for it! If you leave Windsor early , you'll have all afternoon and evening in Niagara Falls. The highway is 4 lane all the way, and a good road. Yes, do stay on the Canadian side.
You might not have a lot of time the next morning for the wineries, but I don't think you'll be sorry for going to Niagara. Perhaps you could drive along the NIagara Parkway, have brunch in Niagara on the Lake and then head for Detroit. Be sure to allow time for the border crossing. You never know for sure if it will be busy.
Have fun.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 03:51 PM

At NF there are several combination tickets available. We got one giving us a trip on Maid of the Mist, journey behind the falls, Niagara Gorge and more, plus unlimited travel on the shuttle "people movers" in between. Go to the journey behind the falls first, you'll get a ticket allocating you a time for the tour, the go off and do something else before your allotted time. We couldn't cross the bridge to the US because I'd left my passport in Toronto (D'oh!)
For a complete contrast visit the Buddhist Temple near the downstream end of the main attractions.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 05:35 PM

there are many nice hotels in Niagara (Canada side) but a basic one I have always had good experience with is the Comfort Inn Clifton Hill. Not a 4* just a normal hotel, indoor pool, free parking & breakfast.