Help with July Itinerary

Old Feb 12th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Help with July Itinerary

Two couples will be spending a week along the Viking Trail on a guided tour. We will then rent a car and plan to drive from Deer Park to St. John's and spend up to two weeks in Eastern Newfoundland. We would like suggestions of how to allocate our vacation time after we leave Deer Park
Kitty and Bob
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 02:21 AM

Do you mean Deer Lake, Nfld? What are your interests? History, wildlife, scenery, music,......?
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I mean Deer Park, Newfoundland. We like folk music, museums, nature and like to be outdoors. Two of our children were born in Stephensville when my husband was a meteorologist in the U.S Air Force. We will be taking a nostalgic trip back after about 50 years. We expect changes! We have not traveled east from CornerBrook before and look forward to seeing more of the country. Thanks for any help!
Kitty
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 01:53 PM

Kitty,

I will get back to you with lots of suggestions shortly. Traditional Nfld /folk music is more than a passing interest of mine.

Jerry
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 03:12 PM

You can drive directly across the province to St. John's or take a detour up to Twillingate which is quite beautiful. If the right time of the year, you may even get to see icebergs.

St. John's is a great spot to center your vacation. Lots to do in the city as well as a few side/day trips.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Tanya,
After reading guide books it sounds like Twillingate will be well worth a stop. Do you take a boat tour to see possible icebergs or are they visible from shore?

If we left St. John's to tour the Avalon peninsula where would you suggest staying?

Thanks for any help,
Kitty
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Jerry,

While on an Elderhostel trip to Montreal we heard a CD of Canadian folk music and the one song that I remember is "It might sound goofy, but the man in the moon is a Newfy" We know that there is more and probably better music in the province and would certainly like any suggestions to where we could listen to it.

Kitty
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 01:13 PM

Kitty,

When I have a few moments I will fill you in on the music scene and also on some of the province's natural history highlights.

Actually if you do a search on my name you'll see quite a few notes on the Avalon Peninsula in particular.

I've been back 9 times and have co-led three natural history tours out there and have done some recording work with a Nfld artist, so your interests are very close to mine.

cheers

Jerry
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 07:45 PM

Kitty, the singer who wings that song is a true Canadina Legend. His name is "Stompin' Tom Connor's" and he sings all Canadian songs. HE's an 'aquired taste, but well worth it.

I agree, click on Gannetmusic and you'll get tons of information.
You can click on mine too for a bit of information.

On the Avalon Peninsula, south of St John's, a good place to stay is Bay Bulls. Also take tours from here to see the Puffins nesting and whales. O'Briens tours are great.

In St. John's a good B&B to stay is 'The Roses" It's a wonderful B&B and close to walking downtown.

Down South of St'Johns a reel Newfie expereriance is to stay at Hagan's hospitality HOuse. Reta is the read deal and will show you a rea Newfie welcome. Her place is on the mane road south of Aquaforte

On your way across the island, Twillingate is worth a side trip, we saw iceburgs up close without a boat trip.

DO also make sure to see some of Terra Nova Park, and visit Savage and also Trinity.
Just keep asking questions,,, we have lots of info.

Good luck planning.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 03:38 AM

In Twillingate if you want to see icebergs close up, then a boat is necessary. You may be able to see one from shore ...

Last year there wasn't an iceberg to be found which was quite disappointing but the trip to Twillingate was charming and one I wouldn't miss.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Kodi
Thanks for giving the source of the Goofy Newfy song. And for suggestions for B&B's and itinerary. Three weeks will be barely enough time, but with all the good suggestions from this board we will spend our time wisely I hope.
Kitty
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 05:15 PM

Kitty and Bob,

Just a few notes for now. You will find the Viking trail beautiful and fascinating. I'm SURE your tour provider will take you on the Western Brook Pond boat tour in Gros Morne Park -but just in case he doesn't, it is a must. If you have a bit of spare time you might consider reading up a bit on the geology of Gros Morne and the Long Range Mountains-truly a special area for geologists.
Gros Morne is excellent for moose spotting.

You mentioned Twillingate. A boat trip from Twillingate in a good iceberg year can be very rewarding-although chances are good you will have seen icebergs in the northwest of the province. In any case the scenery at Twillingate lighthouse is wonderful. And there is an interesting museum at the lighthouse as well.

Just north of Terra Nova National Park take a drive out to the Eastport Peninsula. Salvage is a 'picture postcard' fishing village. Ask locally for the cemetary -walk up the lane to the grave yard and enjoy the view. Our last visit there were humpback whales out in the harbour to make the scene even more perfect.

Try the Doctor's House Bed and Breakfast for a great base to explore the peninsula and Terra Nova Park.

Terra Nova is boreal forest and long sheltered fjords that jut inland from the Atlantic. Very unlike the landscapes of Gros Morne or those that await you on the Avalon Peninsula.

Their Marine Interpretive Centre is well done and worth a visit. Enquire here for a boat trip out into the fjords that is fun. They have a collection permit so can put a small net and capture interesting creatures for review and safe return to the ocean. Nesting bald eagles are almost always seen on this trip.

One of our favourite walks at Terra Nova is around Sandy Pond. It is a mostly flat stroll through boreal forest and along the edge of a sphagnum bog. I think bogs are fascinating places. The wet, acidic soil harbours many interesting plant species including the Pitcher Plant, Nfld's provincial flower. You might be a bit late in the season but keep a lookout for the little arethusa or 'dragon's mouth' orchid growing close to the boardwalk, A bird you might see along here is the Canada Jay- a bold fellow who might want to share your lunch.

More to follow. And, regarding folk music. Are you familiar with Stan Rogers or Ron Hynes? This will give me a starting point to direct you to some music.

cheers

Jerry
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Jerry,

Delighted to see your latest post. We have made note of all your suggestions. We have an interest in geology and natural history so we will follow through on your suggestions.

Since you seem to have a "locals" knowledge of NF, do you know of any private guides on the Eastern side of the island that we could hire for day tours on the Avalon Peninsula? There will be two couples. Or, could you recommend commercial tours in that region or in the Terra Nova Park area?

Many Thanks,
Kitty & Bob
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Jerry,

Forgot to add that we are not aware of either Stan Rogers or Ron Hynes music and would appreciate any insight into Nfld folk music and where we could hear it in July/August.
Thanks again,

Kitty & Bob
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 09:42 AM

Kitty and Bob......

Oh dear, I may need to take a week off from work to allow myself time to compose an appropriate response to your most recent note about folk music......LOL.....

Stan Rogers died over twenty years ago in an airplane crash. During his much too short life he wrote a series of truly amazing songs about Canada.
Stan was from Ontario but had family roots in Nova Scotia. All of Atlantic Canada has adopted Stan's music as their own.

Two of Stan's songs, 'The Mary Ellen Carter' and 'Barrett's Privateers' are so deeply ingrained in the east coast music lore that many people think they are traditional.

Another Stan Rogers song' Northwest Passage' has been suggested not half in jest as the new Canadian National anthem.

Stan actually only wrote one song I can think of that was set in Newfoundland. 'Free in the Harbour' chronicals the migration west of many young Newfoundlanders as their traditional way of life -sealing, whaling and the fishery -was lost.

You can 'google' Stan Rogers to get links to his music, or let me know and I can help direct you. Stan is a good starting point for 'Canadian Folk 101'.

Ron Hynes is a contemporary Nfld singer /songwriter. Two of his most famous compositions are 'Sonny's Dream' and 'Atlantic Blue'.

Much more to follow regarding Nfld music performers and venues.....

cheers

Jerry [in Toronto imagining the scent of salt air.....]

Old Mar 5th, 2006, 05:20 PM

Ok Jerry, when are you leading your next tour? You certainly are a wealth of knowledge!!!
SOrry aobut my typing error of Salvage. It really is a great little spot. We went on a boat tour there called Smokey Hole Wilderness tours for the afternoon and is was great. I don't know if they are still doing tours, but it's worth checking out.
Also, in Eastport a B&B that we really enjoyed is Laurel Cottage. Lynn and Larry were wonderful and very helpful at suggesting things to do in the area. And a delicious breakfast!!

IF you are interested in any hiking, the East Coast Trail on the Avalon Peninsula has great section and you can choose to do short or longer sections. One of our favourite is the section that included the abandoned settlement of LaManche. Very worthwhile. You can check out the web site at www.eastcoasttrail.com

Oh, so much to see!! Emjoy your planning.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 12:50 PM

Bob and Kitty,

If you want a wonderful taste of Nfld folk /traditional music I suggest you visit the Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Festival in St. John's. This year it will be Aug 4th through 6th.

The festival is held right in St. John's at Bannerman Park. A pretty venue and very convenient from downtown.

The line up is always diverse and first-rate. The 'vibe' is very good and the audience is there for the music.

Everything from celtic, Nfld fiddling, the 'old songs', contemporary singer-songwriter material, and much more is featured. One of my favourite Canadian festivals.

You were asking about guided tours in the St. John's area. Which week[s] are you likely to be in that area?

cheers

Jerry
Old May 26th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Dear Jerry,
Sorry that it's taken so long to reply to your last post. Now we're back on the forum and getting some firm plans in place.

It looks like we will miss the festival in St. John's from Aug. 4-6 as we return to the states on Aug. 4th. The hostess of the B&B where we'll be staying said that there is a street fair the four days (July 31-Aug 4) that we will be there. I think she said it was the George St. Fair. Hopefully we can take in plenty of traditional music there.

Here's our itinerary beginning July 13:
Port au Port B&B- 2 nights
Cross Culture Tour of Western NL & Labrador - 8 nights
Twillingate B&B - 3 nights
Eastport Doctor's B&B - 1 night
Trinity B&B - 1 night
Bird Island Resort - 2 nights
Trepassey B&B - 1 night
St. John's B&B - 4 nights

Does this sound reasonable? We are traveling with good friends who like the same kind of relaxed travel that we enjoy. They like theatre and we have heard that there is local theater in Twillingate or Trinity. Do you have a recommendation? We also like to hike.

If anyone on this board has suggestions for us we would much appreciate it. Suggestions for boat trips on the Avalon Peninsula would also be appreciated. We have heard of O'Briens but one other was suggested (using catamarans I believe).

Thank you ,
Kitty & Bob
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 09:06 PM

In Western Newfoundland you may be able to catch a performance by the Sharecroppers Trio - they play a combination of original & traditional music - I enjoy them. See their schedule on www.thesharecroppers.net. John Prince & a Piece of the Rock are in the west,plus Anchors Aweigh perform at that motel in Rocky Harbor in the summer - Thursdays I think. They came out with a new cd this year that is quite good. Bob Porter an awesome singer, songwriter is also out in the west, however I am not too sure if he still performs. There is a theater festival in Cowhead near Western brook pond, plus they also have a Whose Darkening our Doorway guest on Mondays - it is always music - folk or traditional. Also students from one of the colleges in Corner Brook put on a wonderful dinner theater in the summer. I hear Lark Harbor - east of Corner Brook is lovely, but I havent been there. Further south and west of Port aux Basques is is Rose Blanche - beautiful country down there and a lovely lighthouse. Don't know if you'll have time to touch on Labrador but the drive to Red Bay is beautiful with penty of stops to make. We are off to Battle Harbor for the first time this year, but I do hear that is really nice. If you contact the Sharecroppers - tell them Kathy in PA sent you. Hope this helps. Have a great trip.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Hi,
Thanks so much for all the leads to summer music events on the west coast. They are noted in my little black book and we will check to see if any of the groups you mentioned will be performing when we are in town. Have a good trip yourself.