help with hotels in Quebec City

Mar 2nd, 2004, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

help with hotels in Quebec City

My husband and are planning on driving from NYC this summer. We plan on leaving Saturday and getting to Quebec City sat night. We paln on staying until wednesday and going to Montrel .Can anyone suggest hotels in both locations we are looking for 5 star hotel Thnaks
Mar 4th, 2004, 11:26 AM

Hi,

I'm staying in both Montral/Quebec city at the end of June for 3 nights at each place.

I'm staying at the Hilton Montreal Boneventure ( top two floor of an office building surrounding a garden roof and swimming pool) Also there is a Marriott.

In quebec I'm staying at the Hilton Quebec( agian with a pool) ( just outside the city walls)

Another hotel in Quebec might be the Chateau Frontenac ( sp?) which is supposed to be very good.

Regards

TBS
Mar 6th, 2004, 02:16 PM

I wouldn't waste your time on a Hilton. There are many hotels with much more character in Quebec City.

I highly recommend either Hotel Dominion 1912, the Saint Paul, or the Germain de Pres, both of which are boutique hotels. There are many other small boutiques which have opened in the last 5 years or so.
If you want a big hotel, the Chateau Frontenac is a historic, grand hotel with a fabulous view of the walled city.
Mar 6th, 2004, 02:18 PM

As for Montreal, the Saint Paul there is amazing, in old Montreal, and worth every penny. The Le Germain there is also fabulous. The Vogue (a Loews)is great. The only really dumpy place which has been a surprise to me is the Ritz which is tired and worn out.
Mar 6th, 2004, 02:27 PM

Re: my previous message on Quebec City. I didn't mean to recommend the Saint Paul as a boutique hotel - the one I was thinking of is actually called Clos St. Louis. The St. Paul in Quebec City is ok but nothing special. The St. Paul in Montreal is fabulous.
Mar 6th, 2004, 03:57 PM

We too stayed at the Clos St Louis in Quebec City and thought it was a very, very nice little hotel. Posted some interior photos here:

http://community.webshots.com/album/80640268cbjpPD

It is, however much too small to be considered a 5-star (not enough features to be rated that high) - though it is very nice (especially nicely furnished) and has lots of character.

Ken
Mar 6th, 2004, 04:07 PM

You are right about it not being a five star but it is good. The St. James in old Montreal is a 5 star, I think.
Mar 7th, 2004, 12:08 PM

I have stayed at the Intercontinental and the Vogue in Montreal. They were both nice but I prefer the Intercontinental for the location near the old city. The Vogue is terrific if you want to be closer to the high end shopping than the old part of the city.