Reload this Page >

Help with a Canadian recipe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2004, 02:48 PM
bonniebroad

I want to make Poutine since hearing a Canadian acquaintance talk about it. I can order the cheese curds from Wisconsin (yeah, I splurge on food that way sometimes!), but I want to make the REAL authentic dark, tangy gravy, and I can't find a recipe for the gravy when I google the subject of "poutine." Just says to use gravy, but I haven't found any special recipe for it. Could any of you Canadian ladies help me out here??? Thank you in advance!

Old Jul 25th, 2004, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know about curds used in poutine but I think of curds as somthing that one only buys at the cheese factory and eats right away. Maybe it does not matter in poutine but even day old curds just are not the same as fresh.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 05:53 PM
ron

I've never heard of anyone making gravy for poutine. You just open a can of Franco-American beef gravy, heat and serve.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 06:06 PM

Franco-American beef gravy??? That's not authentic poutine.

What you need is St. Hubert poutine sauce (their BBQ sauce or chicken gravy will also do in a pinch). In the U.S. you can order it through Canadian Favourites, a source of supply for homesick Canadians. Their website is at
http://canadianfavourites.com/cover.html
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 07:45 PM

The authentic poutine "gravy" is kind of like a cross between gravy and barbeque sauce.

Try this:
Chop 1 onion and fry in butter until caramelized. Add a couple of splashes of oil and enough flour to make a paste. Cook for about 3 minutes then stir in a cup of red wine and 3 cups of beef broth. Add a large spoonful of tomato paste, a few bay leaves and some pepper. Cook over low heat for 30 - 45 minutes. If it gets too thick add more broth. Strain it before serving to get out any lumps and the bay leaves.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 07:54 PM

Hey Taggie - you left out the ground
up Lipitor!
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 08:10 PM

LOL llama.
Notice I didn't say to actually EAT the stuff!
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 05:22 AM

To get the true, authentic taste, you have to get the gravy in cans, as the previous poster says. The unique taste of Quebec-style barbecue sauce, or poutine gravy, is essential to this dish. It is widely available in Quebec grocery stores, but I guess you should order St-Hubert brand. As long as you're eating Quebec-style junk food, go all the way. Also, the style of frites beloved in Quebec, which form the calorific base for poutine, are heavy, rich with grease, and well browned--different from the light, crisp fries you usually get in the U.S. Sounds horrendous, I know, but kids gobble up this dish blissfully, as do adults who are not afraid of the calories.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 05:53 AM
bonniebroad

You're all downright wonderful! Thank you so much - will place an order for the St. Hubert Pontine Sauce AND will try the recipe, also.

Old Jul 26th, 2004, 07:12 AM
bonniebroad

Uh-oh! Just realized that I will have to order $20 worth of stuff from that site!!! So keep the recipes coming.......... I'll have to think about the ordering...

Old Jul 26th, 2004, 07:54 AM

You could always order some Mae Wests and Jos Louis as a nice dessert to follow the poutine.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 08:15 AM

.....Okay, I'll bite (or not) - what
are Joe Louis' and Mae West's in the
food lexicon of Planet Quebec?

Food Challenged
in Vancouver
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 08:21 AM

I'd best leave a description to the good folks at Vachon, as I couldn't do it justice.

www.vachon.com/en/nproduit.htm

I'm sure that if you look, you'll find them in Vancouver.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 02:09 PM

You'd need to have Pepsi and Jos Louis to be really authentic...

Poutine YUMMMM. The best is made with fresh cheese curd though...
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 07:07 AM

Mmmmmmm...Chez Ashton poutine in Quebec City is THE BEST!!!! You guys are making me hungry
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 09:01 AM
bonniebroad

Sadly, I don't care for the snack cakes that you refer to (our American equivalents.) I'm not into sweets that much anymore, but I appreciate the suggestion. Is there an American dry gravy mix that you can equate the St. Hubert brand to???? Probably not, or you would have said! Is it like good rich homemade, thickened beef gravy or chicken gravy, like Americans make with their turkey at Thanksgiving? (That would be turkey gravy, of course......)

Old Jul 27th, 2004, 02:34 PM

I think with poutine is that there's no real one recipe to go by. It's a junk food recipe that originated in Quebec, but there's not really the "one and only way" to do it to do it correctly.

There's a Quebecois restaurant in Vancouver called "Roosters Quarters" which specializes in roast chicken and ribs. The gravy for their poutine tastes like they mixed the thick chicken gravy with the drippings from the BBQ ribs - and they added cheese curds

I'd say experiment. Any thick gravy will do, although turkey/chicken gravy tends to be used whenever I've had it. Just add cheese curds and voila!
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 03:20 PM
bonniebroad

Carmanah, if I imagine pouring my thick, hot, very flavorful turkey gravy (from Thanksgiving dinner) over a pile of hot crispy fries, with fresh cheese curds melting in between.......... YUM! Thanks to all of you for your replies!

Old Aug 16th, 2004, 05:21 PM

A delicious Poutine can be made with grated Extra Old Aged cheese and Roastbeef Gravy, but make sure it's thick (adding a little cornstarch will do the trick)I'm from Quebec and this is how I love my poutine!
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 12:12 PM
bonniebroad

Beckybee, is this homemade roast beef gravy, or made from a packet, with cornstarch added? I could try the Kraft Cracker Barrel Extra-Sharp/Aged Cheddar, grated....... Yum, I've just lost 15 lbs. in two months, and thinking I may make this for myself as a reward! Thanks!