Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help us make the most of Victoria and Vancouver

Old Jun 29th, 2017, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, everyone. We, a family of two older teens, two adults, are going to be in Vancouver and Victoria for a few days this summer and I wonder if I might get some feedback on a tentative itinerary. Sometimes what looks good on paper isnt as easy to accomplish in reality.
Also if you have any favorite cheap eats ( nothing with white linen) suggestions for the areas we'll be in, please let them fly.
July 27 - take 7:45 Amtrak Cascades to Vancouver arrive 11:45
Get settled at Hampton Inn on Robson ( already booked with points)
Stroll Robson and make our way to Stanley Park for cycling and walking
Waterfront Cinema or view Sails of light from Coal Harbour Seawall. That's a wrap.
July 28- wander through Yaletown to Granville Island Market, stay in this general area as we have tickets for Bard on the Beach at Vanier Park at 7:30pm. Anyone done this? Is casual dress ok or do we need to return to the hotel and dress up a bit more.

July 29- part day at Lynn Canyon Park and????

July 30- Explore Commercial drive area and get to Tsawassen Ferry landing for 3:00 trip to Victoria. I was told to be at the landing an hour before to ensure passage. Are suitcases ok? Is there some place to put them or do they just remain with us for the trip?

All of these things look to be easily accessible with public transport or walking. Is it best to get several day passes or just put stored value on a Compass card for what we're doing and if we utilize stored value can we all share one? I think some days we'd use more than one form of transport to get from a to b. So day passes?

July30- Victoria from Swartz Bay. We have arranged private transport to Butchart Gardens. Hang out there, take our time, maybe stay for entertainment and fireworks. Taxi to hotel.

July 31- whale watching with Eagle wing or Orca Spirit. Any preferences? Unfortunately, I won't be participating in this exciting activity as I sometimes think I get sick just looking at the water and that's just a downer for everyone. I may make my way to the Parliament Buildngs tour and meander downtown and console myself with chocolate from Roger's. Maybe later we'll visit Beacon Hill park. Open to other thoughts.

Aug 1- Christ Church Cathedral and Craigdorrach Castle. Any tips, suggestions?

Any fun things to do in the evenings?

I would also appreciate info on public transport in Victoria. Do they have a similar card system? Can I use the Compass card there as well?

Aug 2- Noon flight to SeaTac. Well there it is. Please feel free to educate and inspire me. We are open to any suggestions you might have. Is there something you loved that I haven't included? Thanks to all for your input.
Old Jul 2nd, 2017, 08:56 PM

I'd love to know where you live, so I can better contemplate the trip as designed, which only seems to <I>skirt</i> Vancouver, and has an excessive <I>Victoria-to-Vancouver ratio</i>.

That is to say that IF you might one day get back to Victoria, it might be better to save Victoria for later, and let the teens get a much fuller dose of the awesome city of Vancouver.

I'm envisioning the <I>two adults</i> going back to Victoria alone together, in the future, if it's that compelling.

<b>The teens</b> will probably drink-up Vancouver for about 18 hours a day, and Vancouver IS there waiting for them with at least that many hours that <I>normal people</i> can be out exploring.

(Just pausing in momentary awe over the Canadian <I>candy counter</i> is a fun ritual in Vancouver... and La Casa Gelato is another unique target not terribly far from <I>Commercial Drive</i> )

But <b>central Vancouver is where it's at</b>... Gas Town beckons, as does China Town... and the scores of <I>normal people</i> roaming the streets late at night make for fantastic people-watching.

Oh, and finally, IF you do go to Victoria, I love that you have <I>Craigdarroch Castle</i> in your sights! (I've been to Victoria <u>twice in my life</u> - {and it's 85 miles away} and I went to the castle both times)

(but I think a reasonable adult wouldn't and shouldn't be as in-awe of it as was the kid I used to be)

But really, IF you opted away from Victoria, you could go to Grouse Mountain, maybe a day trip by rental car to Whistler, and get the best of the local night life as well.

Just thoughts...
Old Jul 3rd, 2017, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

NorthwestMale- Thank you so much for your response. We live in Phoenix ,but lived in Seattle for a few years and never managed to make it to either destination. With so much of the world to try to see, we haven't yet repeated a visit,even to places we have loved. Also all hotels are booked and non refundable.

Do you think Craigdarroch Castle will be a let down for the kids? They saw many, many castles in Ireland.a few years ago. Is there something else you would suggest doing on that day?
Old Jul 4th, 2017, 08:00 AM

Craigdarroch isn't a castle at all, but a very large Victorian-era mansion. The rooms are beautifully furnished in late-Victorian fashion and it is certainly worth seeing. Whether it will appeal to your kids is another question.

Instead, you might prefer to rent bicycles and tour around. The Galloping Goose trail is an old railway bed that goes all the way to Sooke, but you don't have to go that far.

https://www.crd.bc.ca/parks-recreati...alloping-goose

Your kids might also like Fort Rodd Hill National Historic Site, although I'm not sure how easy it is to get there by public transit.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/en/lhn-nhs/bc/fortroddhill
Old Jul 4th, 2017, 04:46 PM

Hi Cjar, Bard on the Beach is completely casual. Take a light sweater because even in mid-summer it can get chilly at night.

Here is some info on Compass cards and day passes. You can load a day pass on a Compass card, which is convenient. Only one person can use a compass card or a day pass.

https://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-an...s/DayPass.aspx

There's also a link at the bottom for planning how to get around.

A fun way to get to Granville Island from Yaletown is to take the little water taxis which have several stops around False Creek.

There are a ton of good small restaurants along Denman street, and also in Yaletown, although a few in Yaletown might be out of your budget.

There are also some good restaurants in the Chinatown area, not so much Chinese food, think cool hipster food. Find them on tripadvisor.

Have a great trip! Enjoy Vancouver!
Old Jul 4th, 2017, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your guidance.
Sundriedtopepo- I appreciate the Bard info. We will definitely take sweaters or a light jacket as summer temps for us range from 105 to 116. That is one of the reasons we chose Canada for our vacation, but it will most likely feel chilly at night to us. Also thanks for the tips on getting to Granville Island.

Lavendrye- I love the cycling trail suggestion.

Does anyone have a preference for whale watching companies out of Victoria? We are currently looking at booking with Eagle Wing.
Old Jul 4th, 2017, 10:01 PM

Oh and you will be here for Japan's entry to the fireworks exhibition which is an annual affair in Vancouver. It's choreographed to music and done very well

http://hondacelebrationoflight.com/festival-guide/
Old Jul 6th, 2017, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

That looks like a fun evening. Thank you so much for the link.