HELP! Nova Scotia 15.-29. April 2016

Old Feb 28th, 2016, 01:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! Nova Scotia 15.-29. April 2016

Hello Nova Scotia Pros

We have been a bit over enthusiastic by planning our Nova Scotia Trip in April. We don't mind the weather but we realised that most of the attractions are closed at that time of the year. At the moment it's a bit difficult to plan our itinary we are very undecided - it would be a huge help if we could get any tips (concerning the routing and concerning things to see and do).
I already called Nova Scotia Tourism but they haven't been a big help with the routing. They just told me to give them a call one day bevore we arrive at a place so they can check what is open. The doers and dreamers guide 2015 is helpful but it shows the things you can do in season.
We are a young couple, interested in nature and culture (more the kind of getting to know the land and people instead of visiting museums). We are both fit and have good gear to go hiking (but we are definetely not interested in very long tours). We are also open to do things that are not on the "to do" list for tourists.

That's how we planned so far:
15. April: arrial in Halifax in the evening and stay in a B&B near the airport (suggestions for B&Bs?)
16. April: Peggys Cove, Mahone Bay, Lunenburg, over night at Liverpool
17. April: Yarmouth
18. April: Digby (worth the stop? No whalewatching at that time...)
19. April: Wolfville
20. April: Wolfville
21. April: ?
22. April: Chéticamp
23. April: Baddeck
24. April: Lunenburg (we know, the fort is also closed, but sure worth a visit), overnight at Sidney
26. April: ?
27. April: Halifax
28. April: Halifax
29. April: Morning in Halifax and then flight back home

Would it be best to book accommodation now or will it be no problem just to pop by?

We appreciate very much any help!
Thanks a lot!
Eovyn
Old Feb 28th, 2016, 06:05 AM

That is a lot of driving especially if you take the "old" highways to see the scenic towns. As you mention weather can be a factor in April and the fog can roll in at last minute.

I cannot recommend a B&B near Halifax airport but you might like the Inn on the Lake which is a quaint Inn about 10 minutes from airport.

In Liverpool I have stayed at the Quarterdeck Villa which I don't know if it is open at that time of the year, and White Point Beach Lodge. I have not been to the latter since their fire. You must stop at Shelburne which I found more interesting than Liverpool.

From Yarmouth to Digby you will drive along the French Shore to Annapolis Royal which is very historic to Wolfville where there are many B&Bs plus you are near Grand Pre.

You must mean Louisbourg, not Lunenburg, near Sydney. Too bad it will not be open as the staff do not get out of character as it was in 1744. It will be a long drive back to Halifax..at least six hours. That is the first part of your trip and I will let others comment on Cape Breton and Halifax.
Old Feb 28th, 2016, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

thank you very much Scotia!
We are open for any suggestions concerning our road trip. Sure we would like to take the old Highways and if this means to take an extra stop somewhere that's ok.

Grand Pre is closed until May - still worth a visit? The same with Louisbourg (not Lunenburg)?

The way back to Halifax is still open. We don't know yet where to stop over night. We don't want to drive directly.

Looking forward to getting some more suggestions ,
Thanks a lot!
Old Feb 28th, 2016, 08:12 AM

When you drive through Grand Pre you might want to go to Evangeline Beach where you can view the tides..high or low. When you stay in Wolfville, a popular place to hike is the Cape Split Trail. You drive through Port Williams onto Scott's Bay and follow signs.
Old Feb 28th, 2016, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Great, thank you! Cape Split Trail is already on our "to do list" .
Old Mar 29th, 2018, 03:48 AM

Hi Eovyn,

My girlfriend and I have done a similar thing and I am concerned that we have been too hasty to book our trip to Nova Scotia, in mid-late April this year, without researching what is open. We have a similar route planned to the one you mention above and I would be curious to know what you recommend? What is and isn’t worth doing?

As a couple, we are similar to you and intend on walking/hiking but equally keen to explore the local culture.

Look forward to hearing back from you,

thanks