Help need with proposed plans

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2007, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a 2 week trip to NS and would appreciate a little help, comments or advice.

1 night Near Airport (landing 18.55)
3 nights Lunenburg or Mahone Bay
1 night Sherbrooke
2 nights Louisbourg
5 nights Ingonish
2 nights Pictou or Antigonish or Parrsboro

How is this looking?

We particularly want to do some hiking so wondered if we would we better to have only 3 nights in Ingonish and 2 nights in Cheticamp?

Haven't yet decided whether it will be last 2 weeks in June or 1st 2 weeks in September. If June, how soon would we need to think about booking in Ingonish?
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 11:05 AM
wow

Could you go the first 2 weeks in July instaed of the last 2 weeks in June? Weather will probably be a lot nicer. It is still cool in NS in mid June.

Your plan looks pretty good but I wld take another look @ your proposed Cape Breton itinerary. Rather than spend 2 nights in Louisbourg, why not stay in Baddeck & do a "day trip" to Louisbourg? Then from Baddeck, head to Ingonish. I am partial to Ingonish so I wld spend as much time there as possible. The view from the tip of the Middlehead hiking trail is spectacular.(begin @ Keltic Lodge for Middlehead). When you leave Ingonish, you cld finish the Cabot Trial (going counterclockwise from Baddeck). Have you ordered your NS Travel Guide...www.novascotia.com....Nova Scotia Doers' and Dreamers' Guide?

Book Ingonish & Baddeck asap. Where are you thinking of staying in Ingonish?
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

First 2 weeks in July probably a non-starter, so maybe it will have to be early September.

Chose Louisbourg as read mixed reports on Baddeck, but will have a rethink. Prefer smaller and quieter places. Can you recommend a b/b in Baddeck?

Thinking of staying at Seascape Coastal Retreat in Ingonish. Would this be a good choice? Will stick with the 5 nights and have put the Middlehead hiking trail on our list.

Yes, I have NS Doers and Dreamers guide, and have noted your comment about booking Ingonish & Baddeck asap.
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 02:58 PM
LJ

As you arrive before 7pm and it is summer, you might want to consider getting as far as Bedford ( a suburb of Halifax)and sort of en route to the South Shore. On the harbour, there are a number of pleasant motels and a great little "mom and pop" restaurant, The Esquire, that serves very fresh fish. Much more interesting than the airport.

Great itinerary-for my money, Lunenburg makes a better base than Mahone Bay-a bit more going on and a chpoice of terrific restaurants.
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 04:18 AM

When I visit Cape Breton, I make one spot my base and do day trips. Mostly I have stayed in Ingonish, although once stayed in Cheticamp. Most hiking trails would be accessible within about 1 1/2 hours from Ingonish, and some are right there or very close. You can get to most other Cape Breton destinations from Ingonish within about a 1 to 2 hour drive. This may seem like a lot of driving, but scenic drives are one of things that Cape Breton is famous for anyway (e.g. Cabot Trail) so the drives are enjoyable. Here's a website for the Parks Canada page describing hiking trails in the park - http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ns/cbreton/activ/activ1_E.asp
. In past, I've enjoyed Middle Head, Skyline, part of Coastal and Bog.
Other enjoyable hikes elsewhere include Taylor Head Provincial Park and Kejimkumjik NP Seaside Adjunct (accessed by 3 km/2 mi trail).
Baddeck is a small albeit "touristy" town with a yacht harbour, artsy shops and cafes. But Lunenburg is also a touristy, artsy town - both picturesque, and both can be busy (although I doubt if either will be terribly crowded during the shoulder seasons of June or September, especially on weekdays). I stayed at a coastal resort near (not in) Parrsboro a couple of years ago and enjoyed exploring that area for a few days.
Brier Island is also nice, if you like quieter places, but that's the other end of the province.
What types of things, in addition to hiking, do you enjoy?
As to timing, I think weather in both June and September can be a little unpredictable. I was curious, so just checked Weather Channel and statistical "averages" for Halifax were very similar for the two months as far as both temps and rain go. Both are shoulder season so there will be fewer events and smaller crowds. But in my general travel experience, I have found that some tourist attractions wind down right after Labour Day (first weekend in September), whereas in June things are usually up and running for the summer. I also wonder if wildlife viewings might be more abundant in June? Just some things to investigate.
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 06:48 AM
ltt

i think your schedule looks pretty good. i haven't stayed in louisbourg so can't really comment on the area other then the fortress was cool. baddeck was alright and you'd definitly want to spend a day there. took a nice sail boat ride out of there one day. that was really nice. i might consider shaving one night off of ingonish and put it on the other side of the island. this place looks nice (haven't stayed there) http://www.macleods.com/
this way you could check out cheticamp and the area for a day. i personally did not like cheticamp and would not stay there. only rude people i met in nova scotia were there. they just didn't seem to like tourists being around.
have a great trip.
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 03:01 PM

Darn, no Bay of Fundy tide-watching for you it seems.

Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Hi guys. Thanks for feedback.

Thanks mat106 for hiking trail details. Had planned a day at Kejimkumjik NP Seaside Adjunct whilst in Lunenburg and to hike at Taylor Head on way to Sherbrooke.

Going away for couple of weeks now so will have another look when get back.