Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Has anybody stayed in Seahorse Inn, Toronto?

Mar 18th, 2000, 08:28 AM
PD

Would any of you give me some feedback on Seahorse Inn? Parking and Public Transit, family oriented or not, etc. Thank you.

Mar 18th, 2000, 08:45 AM
Brian Kilgore

Nothing neighborhood, between the highway and the lake, next to a high rise expensive condo building, downwind from a sewage plant and a cookie factory, in a strip of hooker motels.
Other than that, there's a street car that goes by the door, and which then moves onto the Queen Street line into the heart of the city. There are some parks nearby. I live less than a mile away, but certainly would not suggest it for people visiting me.
That said, it's the best of the lot, on the motel strip. There's a web site you get to via www.toronto.com. The little bridge in one of the pictures is next to the high-rise, and leads to a boardwalk, playgrounds, a big park, etc. where we take our son many times each summer. And the prices are pretty good.
BAK

Mar 18th, 2000, 08:48 AM
elizabeth

The Seahorse Inn is on Lake Ontario, approximately 15 minutes west of downtown Toronto (by car) in an area known as the "motel strip".

The area used to be a little seedy but is undergoing considerable redevelopment - there's a very large condo construction site right next to the motel, which might generate a lot of noise and dust.

If you want to be on the Lake, slightly east of the Seahorse is the Sheraton Four Points Inn - it's been very recently renovated and looks very nice - but has a large dance club adjacent to it which apparently generates a lot of noise Thursday - Saturday.

With respect to parking, the Seahorse is a typical motel - drive up to your room and park. Public Transportation is nearby - streetcars to downtown are fairly frequent, although you will have to make a rather awkward transfer unless you're willing to walk through a long dark tunnel very near the motel. (although I do it all the time - it's really not a big deal).

As far as family oriented - the lakeside area has lots of playgrounds, a pool, beaches (although in the hot summer months swimming in the lake is sometimes prohibited - but it's getting better and better)

Hope that helps!

Mar 18th, 2000, 11:54 AM
PD

Elizabeth, Brian,

Thanks so much for your help!
You Canadians are wonderful people.

PD

Mar 23rd, 2000, 02:52 PM
nat

does the word yuck mean anything

Apr 25th, 2000, 09:59 AM
suzy

I would never, ever, consider the Seahorse for a family or anyone else, unless you're looking for a room by the hour, if you know what I mean.

May 21st, 2000, 12:34 PM
Kathy

We stayed there 2 years ago.

It was quite embarrassing as we brought along foreign visitors. Don't stay there! Luckily they had a sense of humor!!!!!!!!!

May 10th, 2001, 02:54 AM
Doug

I personally have a wonderful memory from many years ago, of staying at the Seahorse for a night with two young ladies of my acquaitance. That said, it is not a place I would recommend to a family. It may well be cleaning up its image, but it's not in a great area for seeing the city anyway.

Thanks for jogging my memory though... Wow, 16 years goes by fast!