Harbor cruise

Jul 27th, 2002, 02:01 PM
grammy 10

Harbor cruise

We will visiting Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa and Quebec city in September and would like to take a harbor cruise. Which city is best for this?

Jul 28th, 2002, 07:34 AM
klam

When in Ottawa, I took a guided/narrated boat cruise that went down the river. It was pretty interesting as the guide pointed out the 'elite' estates that back the river (US embassy, Govenor General's mansion, etc.).

Don't know about the other cities. Have fun.

Jul 28th, 2002, 01:06 PM
Louis

Harbor cruises in Montreal leave from the Old Port. I hear the dinner crises are pretty good.

Quebec City certainly offer the more scenic cruises.

Jul 29th, 2002, 01:27 PM
Gil

Toronto has several different companies that tour both the harbour and the islands depending on the size of the boat. There are three-masted schooners, that while impressive, due to their size can only circle the harbour.

Mariposa Cruise lines, which runs using a paddle wheel boat goes down the deepest inlet to see the lighthouse at Gibraltar Point, then back out and loops the harbour.

Toronto Tours, has some of the best boats for seeing all of the islands. The tours are narrated, leaving every 20-30 minutes. Last time I checked they also did free stop-offs on the Islands.

Generally, the smaller/lower the boat, the further it can get into the islands. Also most tours are only an hour long. Toronto Tours, if you can get off on the Island, will extend your stay. Some boats offer meals. You should also find out if they are narrated or not, if you mind.

In general, the tour comapies are start just east of Yonge St. behind Capt. John's floating restaurant (bad food) all the way to Spadina along Queens Quay.

Hope this helps, enjoy your trip!

Jul 30th, 2002, 06:38 AM
Candice

The tours from Quebec City up to Saguenay-Lac St. Jean and Taudossac are what everyone raves about in Quebec. Not sure if I spelled Taudossac correctly. The St. Lawrence river takes you out eventually to the Atlantic of course. I don't know if you are planning Quebec but look at a map closely and you will see what I am talking about. Lots of whale watching, fishing and so on. There are only dinner cruises in Montreal, but it's a good way to get to Quebec City. or you can take the train to Quebec City and take a cruise from there.

Quebec is very clean and beautiful.

Jul 30th, 2002, 06:40 AM
Candice

Here is the website for tourism of Saguenay, in english.
http://www.tourismsaguenaylacsaintjean.qc.ca/anglais/Organiser_ses_vacances/villes-et-municipalites.asp

There is a route du Fjord, and many other routes.