Search

Halifax hotels

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Doh
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Halifax hotels

We will be in Halifax during the tall ships visit and are looking right now at staying at either the Cambridge Suites or the Sheraton Four Points (I think we have a "jr. suite" reserved at both places, and the rate is comparable, maybe a little cheaper at the Sheraton).

Anyone have advice which might be better for us (2 adults plus an infant) based on location (esp. for the tall ships), amenities, etc...?

We then will be coming back through Halifax after the ships are gone (but during the buskers festival) so any suggestions for a place to stay then (if it's different) would also be welcome.

Thanks!
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 11:39 AM

Sheraton 4 points is new (about 2 years old). Haven't stayed in rooms but you are one very short block to the waterfront. The Cambridge Suites is about 2 more blocks away - just off Spring Garden Road. I would recommend you get your reservation immediately as I am told there isn't much left for the Tall Ships. I know the Cambridge offers a continental breakfast (or used to?). I would say the Sheraton would be more upscale than the Cambridge but the Cambridge suites probably offer more privacy - most have a separate bedroom.
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 11:50 AM

If I'm reading the map correctly, both hotels are about the same distance from the Maritime Museum. The Four Points is straight south along the water, while the Cambridge is a little up the hill.

The Cambridge Suites will be closer to the citadel and the shops and restaurants on Spring Garden, as Tanya says. I think it's more lively and more convenient, if you don't mind a little slope coming up from the harbor. The area of the Four Points is kind of quiet.

This is from memory of my visit to Halifax a year ago, and I don't have any info about the hotels themselves nor where the tall ship fesitivites will take place.
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 12:33 PM

The Tall Ships will be moored all along the waterfront - from the Sheraton to the sound stage and maybe beyond. Both are close to everything and whichever you pick you will be happy with. Across from the Sheraton is a great little coffee shop "Cabin Coffee" where you can get a light breakfast and relax reading the morning paper!
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 05:59 AM
Doh
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 12:44 PM

We stayed at the Cambridge Suites this past weekend and enjoyed it very much.
Our suite did have a separate bedroom but I think some smaller ones do not.
The hotel is centrally located, clean and comfortable.
Check out some special deals that include the parking fee and an upgraded [full] breakfast.
Halifax is a fun city!

Jerry
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 05:35 PM

We stayed at the Cambridge suites last June and enjoyed it. Ask if they are honoring an Entertainment rate. They have a rooftop area with a large gas grill and picnic tables if you want to eat it one evening. As noted earlier, breakfast is included. Nothing wonderful-think Days Inn.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 07:03 AM

I have stayed at the Sheraton Four Points and was completely underwhelmed. It was nice enough, clean, service was OK, but out of all of the hotels I have stayed in Halifax, it certainly was not near the top of the list. So far, my favorite is the Radisson Suite Hotel. Great room, large continental breakfast, great service and great location.

I have never stayed at the Cambridge Suites, so I can't offer an opinion there!
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 06:10 PM

When will the tall ships be in Halifax? We'll be there the first week in June on a New Eng/Canada cruise.

Also, what are the must-sees in Halifax and St. John's?
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 06:28 PM

Must sees in Halifax include the Citadel and Pier 21. Peggy's Cove is a 45 minute drive.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 06:51 PM

Hagan, sorry to say you will not be there for the Tall Ships, which are scheduled for July 29-August 2. For others who may be interested, here's a website:

http://www.novascotia.com/tallships/

Another option for Halifax hotels is the Holiday Inn Harbourview, which is actually across the harbor in Dartmouth. There is a convenient water taxi terminal that is an easy walk from the hotel and it will take you right into the heart of the Halifax waterfront.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 11:53 AM

One of my favorites in Halifax is the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia and the Maud Lewis Exhibit. Maud Lewis is the Grandma Moses of the Maritimes. The Gallery has a nice permanent exhibit as well as visiting shows. There is a nice little cafe for a quick bite.

http://www.agns.gov.ns.ca/
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 12:03 PM

The Mr thinks the Sheraton is quieter. Closer to the harbor and the possibility of a room with a view. I've never stayed there.

The Cambridge Suites are nice and closer to dining and shopping on Spring Garden Rd. My favorite is the Lord Nelson just off Spring Garden close to the Public Gardens and the best shopping. There are bus stops on each corner and it's very easy to get to the waterfront and back using public transportation.

For a guick bite the Italian Gourmet on Doyle is a nice quiet deli style restaurant/market to sit and rest a spell. Lovely selection of salads, pasta dishes and sandwiches.