HaIfax, St.John's cruise stops

Old Jul 16th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HaIfax, St.John's cruise stops

Just wondering, if anyone has any idea what would be the best options when stopping in Halifax and St.John's on a cruise. Of course one day in the cities doesn't seem like much. Should we book tours. I never book excursions with the cruise line...way too pricey
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 01:41 PM

For your Halifax stop: A very popular day-trip would be to combine:
1 - Peggy's Cove: a short stop for some photos and a quick walk-about at this famously picturesque little Fishing Village on a tiny inlet plus an adjacent rugged granite coastal shoreline with lighthouse.
2 - Lunenburg - this larger and very picturesque historic town is a UNESCO World Heritage site. A longer walkabout (lots of shops), possible visit to the Fisheries Museum of the Atlantic, a nice lunch in one of the restaurants, etc.

There are probably bus tours out of Halifax but I've never done one as we always have a car - either our own or a rental.

However Halifax itself is a very pleasant city with a vibrant Harbour District - Historic Properties (now shops and cafes), a number of waterfront and nearby restaurants and pubs, Maritime Museum, boardwalk, Saturday market, Citadel National Historic Site (Fortress), etc.
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank You so much for your reply. So in other words the harbour will have shops and cafes and then we should maybe rent a car to head towards Peggy's cove and Lunenburg.
Have you ever been to St.John's?
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 09:18 PM

Just how long IS this stop-over in Halifax??

If it is mere hours, then I think the central Halifax business district has plenty of neat things to see. If that doesn't do it, then nearby Spring Garden Road might have something of interest. You could visit the Citadel, which is very popular.

Indeed a car trip to Peggy's Cove or Lunenburg perhaps...

and if it were me... as in me, myself and if I'd never before been to NS... I'd rent a car and high-tail it for the Bay of Fundy... hoping that I'd get to see it at low tide.

http://www.waterlevels.gc.ca/eng/station?sid=265

(you'd want to read up on exactly where you can drive to, in order to see and walk out in the sand... way, waaaaaaaaaaaaaay out in the sand, that is! )

But of course that's just me...
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 03:43 AM

St. John's is also a very walkable city based around the harbour. Some steep walking, historic sites, interesting sculptures, colourfully painted buildings, fun pubs, friendly people. If you want to get out of the city there is a great whale watching tour out of Bull's Bay. The puffins are great fun.
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the information