Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Grocery stores between Niagara Falls and Toronto?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone!

I will be visiting Toronto next week for the first time (actually visiting the Canadian side of Niagara Falls for the first time, too!).

I am a grocery store junkie, and I wonder if anyone can recommend a good grocery store to stop in between the falls and Toronto.

It need not be a "specialty" grocery store- just the chain type is fine. We will be taking the main highway between our two stops, so if you know of a good exit, I would love to check one out!

Alternatively, we will be staying at the Metropolitan Hotel (not SoHo) for the two nights in Toronto... if there are any good grocery stores in that area, I would love to know what to see!

(I know this sounds like a weird thing to ask... we hardly ever buy much of anything, but I think grovery stores tell a lot about the people of an area/country.)

Thanks for your help!!

Old Jul 13th, 2006, 05:38 PM

It is a strange request but I would recommend Pusateris on Avenue Rd. and Lawrence on your way into Toronto. They have a website with a map. It is my favorite
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 05:52 PM

I love to go to grocery stores too.
and drug stores....
In Burlington, if you get off at Guelph LIne and go north for a couple of miles, you'll see Fortino's on the right hand side at the corner of Upper MIddle Road. IT's a very popular grocery store in this area.

Or you could get off at Appleby LIne in Burlington and go south to New Street. ON the left side there is another Fortino's.

IF you get off at Brant Street in Burlington, and go north just a short way, there is a centre with Sobey's in it on the left. Although not as popular, it's Canadian owned and a nice chain.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 06:23 PM
BAK

OK, we can become serious here.

In Toronto, preferably on a Saturday but Tuesday through Friday, during the day, is OK, too: St. lawrence Market, at Front and Jarvis Street. You could walk from the Soho Metro.

From the St. Lawrence Market, walk / drive south on Jarvis Street to the Loblaws store. This is a fairly new, very up-market, chain grocery, with some products up-market from most Loblaws stores. Plus, prices are higher. Indoor cafe, too.

Still in town; you are a long way from the Puserteri at Avenue Road and Lawrence, but all is not lost.

GEt yourself to the fancy Yorkville neighborhood, which is the Bloor / Avenue Road, Bay St. area, and there's a Puserteri on Bay Street, at Yorkville Avenue. And if Whole Foods appeals, walk west on Yorkville to Hazelton, up Hazelton a bit, and follow the signs to Hazelton Lanes. Whole Foods is int he basement, and you can buy a Rolls Royce upstairs.

On the way to Niagara Falls... lots of choices

Exit the Queen Elizabeth Way at Trafalger, and head south. At Cross Street (not very far)follow the signs for the GO Station (commuter railway) west, pass the station, and you'll see a Home Depot. In the same plaza there's a No Frills, which is the low end store of the Loblaws chain. You can compare and contrast with the expensive Loblaws at Jarvis and the Lakeshore.

Turn around, back to Trafalger, turn right / south under the tracks and turn left at the next corner, and you'll see another Whole Foods.

Back on the highway heading west, and then you can follow the Burlington instructions already above.

BAK
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!!

It is a strange travel request, I know... I have never visited a place without seeing how the locals shop. I have dragged my students into Finnish grocery stores on extended layovers in Helsinki... they appreciate it after they see how different things really are!

Okay, Torontans (Toronto-ites? Torontians?) here is a basic question, as a follow up... what "Neighborhood" is my hotel in? It is the Metropolitan Hotel, on 108 Chestnut Street, near University and Armoury.

We have found a LOT of references in our research regarding different sites in specific neighborhoods, but have no clue which neighborhood we are staying in, aside from "downtown".

Thanks again!! I'm getting excited now!!

Old Jul 14th, 2006, 04:38 AM

Others may find it strange, but I understand perfectly. I don't think you are really looking for the upscale , fancy stores, but rather just want to see where the locals shop and to see the regular grocery stores.
Have fun.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 08:41 AM

So close to city hall - it's just "downtown", I'm afraid.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 11:44 AM
BAK

Somehow I got you mixed up with someone who was staying at the Soho Metropolitan. You can still walk to the St. lawrence Market -- just take a different route.

Get yourself over to Yonge Street (see below or just cut across the city hall square and walk another block east) and walk south on Yonge to Front, turn left and walk a couple of blocks to the market, between Market Street and Jarvis.

Anyway, the "real" Metropolitan is in old Chinatown, and you'll see Chinese names on some of the street signs.

Much of Chinatown has moved away; the hotel is surrounded by empty stores, but don't worry about that. The neighborhood is safe enough.

So, to get you by foot to an interesting grocery store... walk out of the hotel and cut trhough the laneway immediately behind city hall and down another lanewway beside the Marriott and into and through and out of Eaton Centre, and then walk north on Yonge Street across Dundas and --horrors, horrors, keep walking along that terrible stretch on Yonge Street close to the Chelsewa Hotel oh woe is me-- to Gould. Sam the Record Man is on the corner, and the street only runs east. Walk along this a couple of blocks past Ryerson University and you're at Dominon Store, the biggest chain grocery store anywhere near your hotel.

Toronto's best high-end Chinese restaurant is in the hotel.

You're only a couple of blocks from the Eaton Centre giant shopping mall, you are almost at city hall, you are across the street from a hotel that has been converted into student residences. The back of the hotel touches (or almost toucehes) the textile museum. The hotel is built on the site of an old parking garage I used many years ago.

The hotel itself is very nice.

BAK
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thank you so much for the response, BAK! I really appreciate all of the detail... we are very excited about our upcoming trip, and so impressed by how nice people from Toronto seem!!

Thanks to everyone again!!

Old Jul 15th, 2006, 10:33 AM
BAK

Why I was vague about the Whole Foods store in Oakville.

It's because the stret it is on changes names.

So...

Queen Elizabeth WAy to Oakville (past the Ford factory) to Trafalger Road, south.

South on Trafalger (and go to No Frills on Cross Street if you want, and then back to Trafalger)

South on Trafalger under the failway tracks to an interesection with traffic lights. Turn left on Cornwall Road (signs pointing right say Speers Road)

Drive past Whole Foods to get to the entrance into the parking lot.

This lot probably has Canada finest collection of fancy cars of any commercial parking lot.These folks might even be willing to pay $14.99 per pound for little squash, which was the price today.

AND< COME TO THINK OF IT... if you're driving to Niagara, why not get picnic food at Whole Foods? You can get some plastic cutlery in the snack bar area, there's a vast array of precooked foods, and a great cheese department.

Whole Foods own French baguette is better than the more expensive Ace Bakery baguette, too. Washrooms are at the west side of the store if you want to wash some fruit you buy for your picnic.

BAK
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again BAK! We actually were introduced to Whole Foods just this spring in Baltimore, and instantly fell in "love" (sounds a bit much, but I love grocery stores, plus I'm vegetarian).

I searched out one before a recent trip to Durham & Chapel Hill NC, and have already written e-mails asking the chain to stop neglecting Upstate NY.

So the picnic idea is a great one!! Thanks again!

Since you have already been so nice, I have another question... I have read repeated comments about the nearly impossible parking garage affiliated with our hotel. I wonder- is Toronto like NYC, with free-standing parking garages in areas? Do you think it would be a better idea to search out a separate lot, or just deal with the less-than-pleasant parking at the Met. Hotel?

Thanks again!!!

Old Jul 20th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Just got home!

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions... we managed to hit Fortino's in Burlington (twice), Dominion in downtown Toronto, a "No Frills", and of course the markets...

I think I could become a Fortino's addict if I lived in Toronto! The Fortino's on Guelph Line was lovely, and I was able to pick up a few (typically European) favorites while there that I can't get at home.

Toronto was a lot of fun! We did more than grocery shop, btw (in case anyone was concerned!) We had a lovely trip... hit most of the main attractions (baseball game, CN Tower, Kensington Market, St.Lawrence Market, Eaton Centre,etc), did squeeze in lunch at Lai Wah Heen as well, which was lovely. Thanks for the help!!

Old Jul 20th, 2006, 04:26 PM

Hi, I live in a town called St Catharines - about 15 miles up the highway from Niagara Falls on the way to Toronto. If you approach St Catharines and take the Lake Street exit, go straight to YMCA Drive, and you'll end up at the Fairview Mall, with a nice Zehrs grocery store.

There's also a nice one in Burlington, also just off the highway. Take the Fairview exit (right around Hamilton) and take Fairview street until you see the exit for Ikea. Right beside Ikea is a nice Fortino's grocery store.

I think you'll enjoy both of them.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 08:11 PM

Katya, I'm so glad you had a good time. and I'm glad you managed to go to the Fortino's on Guelph LIne. It's my favourite. And very typical of the grocery stores around here. I go there often.

NOw this weekend it's my turn to go to Buffalo and Niagara Falls, NY and shop at your grocery stores. Usually Tops .
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Kodi- I'm so jealous of your Fortino's!! Do you come south to shop often? I know that my friends in Western NY always shop at Wegman's- they are all over the Buffalo/Syracuse area. Have you tried them out yet?

Old Jul 21st, 2006, 04:15 PM

Yes, I like Wegman's too. I couldn't think of the name of it when I posted last night. I actually like it better than Tops. NO we don't go often, maybe a few times a year. Usually to a mall, and then make sure we hit the grocery stores too, on the way home. I always find things I can't get at home.
I like the drug stores too.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 08:25 PM

Toronto folks are called Torontonians.

Glad you enjoyed the supermarkets; when we travel my husband always laughs and says he doesn't know how I can find it amusing to "shop" in supermarkets and/drugstores. Actually, clothing stores are my favourite, but the others will do quite nicely, thank you.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 08:27 PM

I forgot to say when I cross-border shop in the Niagara Falls/Buffalo area my faves are Joanns's and A.C.Moore for craft items and fabrics.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 10:30 PM

There are lots of stores right in Niagara Falls. It is a pretty built up place - and now costly just to be a tourist and to park. We went to a grocery store right beside the Best Western on the main road that leads down to the downtown (can't remember the name right now).
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Now I'm curious... what is it that you cannot get in Canada that you can get in US grocery stores? I was AMAZED at the selection in the Fortino's and Dominion- very European options (juices, nutellas, etc.)

Thanks for the lesson- now I know- Torontonians! That is a long word!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -