Greater Toronto Sports Bar

Oct 4th, 2007, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Greater Toronto Sports Bar

I'll be in Greater Toronto this w/end but don't want to miss the NFL Pats game on Sunday! Where is a good place for a single woman to catch the game?

I'll have a car so it doesn't have to be downtown (as I'd prefer to avoid the finding parking hassle and the expensive parking costs). I'm not familiar with Toronto so I'll say half an hour out of downtown Toronto would be a good radius. I might be staying in the North York area. Also if you could give me the full name (not the place's nickname) and approximate location, it'll allow me to google the place to get the exact details. Thx!

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Enjoy-la!
Oct 4th, 2007, 12:17 PM
hdm

Honestly, I'm just guessing at this but there's a chain called Shoeless Joe's. There's one at Eglinton and Oriole Parkway but I'd google it if I were you, to find the others. Then I'd call to make sure they're going to be showing the game you want. You can also ask about parking.
Oct 4th, 2007, 12:29 PM

Where in North York might you be staying?

There's Smokey Joe's at 4899 Yonge in North York - just north of Sheppard [email protected], you could e-mail them ask about that game if you're staying nearby - parking is likely in front of it on Yonge.

There's Gretzky's but it's downtown.

If you google 'sports bars in Toronto' lots will come up but going down the list there were a surprising number I wouldn't set foot in. So if one looks interesting to you, let us know.

Most bars and pubs have more than one tv and would likely be showing an NFL game on Sunday night unless there's a hockey game on I suppose.

This weekend is Thanksgiving here, by the way.
Oct 4th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

hdm and SallyCanuck - thx a mint for your replies.

I'm unsure where I'm staying as I'll probably Priceline something tomorrow. I did quite a bit of looking around for accoms today, and I may stay in Markham instead (cheaper rates and I don't really care where I stay).

I did google first, and that's when I knew I needed to post...LOL! Hard to tell what each place is like/neighbourhood, esp. since I'll likely be going to watch the 1 pm game alone.

I will look into the places you mentioned and be sure to call ahead.

Enjoy-la!
Oct 4th, 2007, 02:04 PM

Hi KC: Markham likely means along Highway 7 - lots of hotels there. All those hotels (and all hotels, actually) will have bars with a tv. If you stay WAY up there, you'll be driving everywhere.

FYI: It's supposed to be hot here this weekend, around 86.

There's a small basic Best Western Roehampton very centrally located - good transit, restaurants, bars, etc. -if Priceline doesn't come up with anything reasonable, I'd check it out for the location.

Let us know tomorrow where you're staying.
Oct 5th, 2007, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

SallyCanuck, thx a mint for the Roehampton lead. I checked it out and it must be good as there was no vacancy for that one Sat night. It's ok tho as there seems to be a lot of supply for hotels that w/end.

Turns out where I'm staying doesn't really matter as someone will now be joining me for the game; pick up around Rogers Centre. So if you happen to know of a good spot around there (or southbound heading toward Mississauga direction), pls pass it on. Thx.

Enjoy-la!
Oct 5th, 2007, 06:40 AM

Hi KC,

The Rogers Centre is right downtown - formerly called SkyDome - so you're about a block or so from Gretzky's there. http://www.gretzkys.com/setwindow.html

Shoeless Joe's is a block from Gretzky's on King West http://www.toronto.com/listing/000-372-719

The area is crawling with bars and restaurants - you'll find a place to watch the game without any problem in that area.

Enjoy the weekend.

Oct 5th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Wow, that's perfect. I checked out the convenient links and it might be a novelty to go to Gretzky's; when I was growing up 99 was THE icon!

Actually it's less than a 1km away so I might just park and walk there. Thx for your patience with my meandering plans.

Thx a mint SallyCanuck. Happy Thanksgiving - enjoy-la!
Oct 5th, 2007, 09:27 AM

You're most welcome!
Oct 5th, 2007, 11:06 AM

I believe there is a Dave and Busters sportsbar in the entertainment district but it may be too in the city for you...
Oct 5th, 2007, 01:00 PM

The only one on their website in the area is in Vaughan.
Oct 5th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

I took a look at D&B, near Concord, and yes it's bit too far in, as we'll be heading south after the game. Thx for the suggestion garyt22 - I'll keep it in my file for future reference.

Enjoy-la!
Oct 9th, 2007, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Just wanted to post back to say we ended up heading to Shoeless Joe's. It was a perfect spot. There were a few fans watching games from the bar; we took a booth near a big screen with 3 smaller screens underneath it and asked the server if the Pats game would be on one of the screens. She asked the "remote maitre d" and he was happy to even switch it to the big screen which was awesome cuz now we had sound too.

I noticed he was very willing to switch tvs in other seating areas to whatever patrons requested. The bar had a few patrons but with people taking on their own "sections" it was pretty quiet (a good thing for us).

This place also serves breakfast till 3 pm on Sundays so getting some tasty cinnamon french toast in the 2nd quarter was a treat. The servers were great and came around to check on us every now and then but weren't pushy.

When we thk'd the remote maitre d on our way out, he was friendly and gracious. We'd definitely go back.
Thx again all, enjoy-la!
Oct 9th, 2007, 06:27 AM

Glad it worked out.