good eats in Ottowa?

Jul 6th, 1999, 10:27 AM
Pam DeCarlo

good eats in Ottowa?

I'll be in Ottowa for a conference mid July and would love some recommendations for places to eat (not too expensive). I'm particularly interested in any old-time coffee shops, bakeries, diners or other restaurants. You know, something with Ottowa character, not just a food court in a mall.
And while you're at it, any must sees or dos while in Ottowa for 4 days?
Thanks!

Jul 6th, 1999, 04:40 PM
lynne

Will you be in the downtown area? What kind of food do you like? Do you have a car.
Some favourites of mine
Mexican - Feleena's on Bank St. - best margs in town!!!
Italian - La Roma on Preston (Preston St. has many excellent Italian restaurants) I also like The Ritz on Nepean
Chinese - head to Somerset St.
On the market - Mediteraneo (sp?) on Clarence. The market has all kinds of interesting small restaurants. Walk around and see what appeals to you.
Tex Mex - The Lone Star on Baseline best fajitas in town.

Hope this helps somewhat?

Must sees - dos? What are your interests:
The Parliament buildings
A cruise, walk rollerblade or bike ride on the Rideau Canal
The National Art Gallery
The Market
The War Museum
The Aviation Museum
All kinds of museums...depends on your interests....

Jul 6th, 1999, 06:47 PM
Ron

Taking you at your word, that you want something with an old timey Ottawa flavour, you are probably going to have to get out of the downtown. The Newport Restaurant in Westboro village fits the bill, I think, 334 Richmond Rd, at Churchill. If, when you arrive, you find it to be too tacky, the Village Cafe at 295 Richmond is very nice.

Jul 11th, 1999, 06:46 AM
Brian Kilgore

Sorry forthe delay. I tried to post this last week and the system would not accept it.
The old time diner/restaurant you want is called Zak's, and it is in the northern part of the By-Town market area, which is in central Ottawa, just east of the Chateau Laurier hotel. You'll find Blue Plate Specials, large portions, formica topped tables, juke boxes, and great milk shakes. It's on a north-south street, on the left hand side as you walk north.
For a clasic Ottawa dining experience at the low end of the price scale, go to Nate's Deli, on the north side of Rideau, a few blocks east of the Rideau Center shopping center. You can walk from the Chateau or the Westin. This deli has seen more business deals and political maneuvering, often over breakfast, than any other Ottawa restaurant, wiyth the exception of the private Rideau Club.
Next door to Nate's is The Place Next Door, owned by the same people. This is a medium priced steak house; again a center of many a deal, and an Ottawa classic. You might see me at the next table if I was in Ottawa, or the president of some giant international high-tech firm, too.
And, when in the By-Town market area, find the store that sells Beaver Tails, and try one. It too is an Ottawa classic.
See and does -- youmight take the steam train up into the Gatineau hills; see if the Royal Canadian Mounted Police musical ride (lot of horses involed) is on; visit the aviation museum at Rockcliffe Airport; the National Gallery (art) or the Museum of Civilization (got kids?) This has an excellent children's section for kids 2 - 10) or the Museum of Science and Technology.
BAK

Apr 22nd, 2001, 02:58 PM
Vanessa

I know this is an old post but since I used it for my quick visit to Ottawa last week I thought I'd add my two cents.

The aviation musuem is great ... and I'm not really that interested in planes.

However, the Musuem of Civilization in Hull is absolutely fantastic. The permanent displays as well as the temporary displays are great. Currently, there is a great display on the east coast fisheries as well as numerous other displays.

We intended to go to Feleena's based on the above recommendation but ended up at Mexicali Rosa's (due to some confusion with their telephone book listing). They are both on Bank Street, owned by the same group of people and only about four blocks apart. Our dinner was very good. However, apparently Feleena's has nicer decor.

I can also recommend Royal Thai in the Byward Market area for dinner.

The Beaver Tails in the Byward Market were our dessert after the Thai dinner. Great!

For some interesting shopping, wander around the Byward Market and Glebe areas.

Jun 21st, 2001, 04:26 AM
Phil

Hey Ron ! Are you trying to be funny or what ? Directing a tourist to the Newport is a joke , unless that tourist is whacked out and thinks Elvis still lives . The place is a greasy spoon run by a promotional genius .

There are plenty of places around the market( like Zaks) - a tourist doesn't need to drive 5 boring miles down Richmond Rd to get to a greasy spoon .

For that matter , the Prescott offers more character - try a meatball sandwich , pizza and a few quarts - I would never recommend this place to a tourist but it sure as hell beats the Newport.

Jun 24th, 2001, 06:42 PM
krista

In the market, try The Blue Cactus on Clarence Street. It's lively and the food is good and not too expensive. Be sure to try the "Beaver Tails", just the basic ones with lemon juice and sugar. They're the best!! They're available at outdoor huts in the market.

Jul 4th, 2001, 01:19 AM
ndub

Meditheo- Mediteranean

Blue Cactus- New/Tex Mex

Elgin Street Diner

Tramps Pub, Good wings and deep fried Pickles