Getting around Vancouver Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2004, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lucky enough to have won a trip to B.C. next month, including 2 nights in Victoria with accommodations at The Empress. Would love to see Butchart Gardens and dine at Sooke Harbour House - if anyone has other suggestions for "must do's" on this short trip, please advise - but wonder how to get around. Do we need to rent a car? Your advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 07:28 PM

You can get to Butchart's by city bus or tour bus. Sooke would be more awkward. I would rent a car - then you can drive along Victoria's waterfront too.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 09:29 PM

As April says, Sooke would be awkward to get to by public transport. It's a good 35 minute drive through various suburbs... you'd need a car if it's a "must-do" for you. Otherwise, no car is needed for Victoria, especially with a short stay of 2 days. There is lots to do in the Inner Harbour area -
horse & carriage tours, harbour boat tours, shopping on Gov't Street, the Royal BC Museum (the Egypt Exhibit will be the big thing this summer). If you did have a car, there is a lovely scenic drive along Dallas Rd, out toward U.Vic (a different direction from Sooke Harbour House).
Enjoy the Empress!
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice, April and Taggie.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 04:32 PM

if art is an interest, do go to Emily carr house. It's within walking distance and she is a very interesting person, woman, artist.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 06:18 AM
ltt

for such a short trip, i wouldn't bother with a car and would save sooke harbour house for another time.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 12:32 AM

I agree save the trip to Sooke for another time. Huge Bucks for dinner there. There are many fine restaurants downtown. I would contemplate renting a car to take a drive up island to see the town of Chemainus-small tourist trap with many fine large paintings airbrushed on the buildings plus a bunch of little shops. @ 2 hour drive max from Victoria take some back country roads for a real different view of the Island