from Oregon to Vancouver

Aug 5th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

from Oregon to Vancouver

I'm new to this site, so not sure if I have looked in "all the right places".. posted this in Oregon site also...but would like more info on Victoria/VanCouver...
I wanted to plan a trip for my husband and me that would last about a week.-give or take.. I'd like to see the best of the Oregon Coast, natural beauty, etc. and end up in Victoria/Vancouver area. (Is it worth seeing "Whistler" in mid September?) I'm trying to fly in by Southwest Airlines and then rent a car? I had thought that starting in Portland would be good,-a day or two there...then traveling coastline, and then heading to Victoria etc. (one person said skipping Seattle and take a car ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria BC, then another ferry from Victoria to Vancouver?) What's the best travel path for something like this? Does anyone have a week long itinerary of "best of the best" sights/enjoyment for this type of trip . We are 50 ish "youngtimers" who still enjoy the beach and fun (not big "party-ers"..just like to smile at new adventures)
Still, I get overwhelmed because I'm "the planner" and my husband is the spontaneous one...somewhere in between works best...has anyone posted this specific trek before? In glancing over some postings, it seems that Portland/Columbia River Gorge/Cannon Beach/Olympic Penninsula/Victoria seem to keep popping up...can we do all that in a week and if it were you what route would you take to make this happen? I'm also seeing conflicting things about renting a car and taking it over on the ferry to Canada...expense?..If we rented in Portland, and want to see sights but also get to Victoria/VanCouver should we keep the car the whole way or drop off before getting to Vancouver? thanks for your help!
Aug 5th, 2009, 08:49 AM

Ooh, far too much for a week unless you really just want to drive and not stop and experience the places. For a week, I'd pick 2-3 stops within reasonable driving distance of each other and plan to come back to the area!
Aug 5th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks NW Wander...I've gotten the same response in my other post. So I asked their opinion and before I choose, I'd like to get your opinion also. If it were you and you had about 8 days..would you:
* Do Oregon coast and Columbia River Gorge skipping Vancouver...
*Fly into Seattle and do the National Parks, Olympic Pennin.
*Or head straight to Victoria, Vancouver, Whistler etc.

My husband doesn't mind driving and we are more "movers" than "sitters"..so to get the most of the 8 days, thinking we may not be able to come back..what would you do to see the most, yet still enjoy? We'd like some "breathtaking" beauty and creature interaction, city sites not quite as important, but still fun...Thanks in advance for your thoughts.. (also, forgot to ask everyone about the weather in mid to late Sept?)
Aug 5th, 2009, 11:44 AM

Probably option 2 would be my choice--Seattle, Olympic Peninsula and Mt Rainier (divided 2/3/2 in terms of overnights) would be a reasonable 8 day/7 night itinerary. But even so that wouldn't allow you much time for "sitting", since there's so much to do in each location.
Aug 5th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Wanderer...Highlights on the "Olympic Peninsula?" if you've got time?
Aug 5th, 2009, 01:37 PM

As a starting point, you might want to do a search on the Washington forum of the US board--there have been quite a few posts about the peninsula in recent months. The Olympic National Park website is another good starting point.