Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Four days in late May...would you choose Montreal?

Dec 27th, 2002, 07:20 AM
Debra

Hello everyone and Happy New Year. We have to choose a destination for 4 days in late May, and the family has narrowed it down to Canada or Cancun. My vote goes to Canada, and I need your help to convince the rest of the gang (DH, DDs 17 and 14). Tell me what we could see and do that would interest those teenagers. Thanks for all your help!

Dec 27th, 2002, 12:31 PM
zootsi

Cancun to Montreal? This is really comparing apples to oranges. Do you want a cosmopolitan city vacation or a beach vacation? Here are a few plus' for Montreal:
- Dining Out - May will probably be warm enough to experience the sidewalk cafe scene on St.Denis and other places. The food and European ambiance at most places in the city are great. There are restaurants, cafes, bistros, etc of every description - possibly the best restaurant city in the western hemisphere.
Shopping - Teenage girls will be in nirvana here. lots of hip stores, most with a French influence.
Prices - Even with the high taxes you should come out way ahead due to the great exchange rate.
Things to do - boatrides on the St. Laurent, bicycling (Montreal is perhaps the most bike friendly city this side of the Atlantic), the old city, museums, street entertainment, the biodome,Chinatown, festivals (Montreal has some kind of festival every week),etc,etc.
If you go, you might want to consider a night or two in Quebec City, which is 2 1/2 hours away.

Dec 28th, 2002, 06:46 AM
Debra

Thanks Zootsi! This is the kind of info I need in my argument. I know the choices are two extremes, but my crew enjoys both beaches and city life. Is the public transportation good? What hotels would you recommend for location if we do most our touring by foot? Which website do you think has the best information on the city? And thanks again for all the help.

Dec 28th, 2002, 11:59 AM
duke

If you don't speak French forget Montreal and go to Toronto .Most French Canadians in my experince are like Parisians ...arrogant, Anglo haters .Thet are doomed to third world status in the long run for their Myopic outlook!

Dec 28th, 2002, 06:12 PM
susan

duke, where have you been that you can say such a thing? Obviously NOT Montreal! They are bilingual, which most likely you are NOT and quite sophisticated, which most likely, you are NOT. Although you might have more knowledge of third world countries that I do, I know that Canada and it's French speaking areas are NOT Third World. I think it might be best if you stay in your little corner of the world and be happy there.

Dec 28th, 2002, 06:47 PM
J.

You will want to take teenagers to the old port area, where there is an Imax theater and boat tours. Thats the only place they will be happy, the rest is a city for adults. Stay in the Old Port, somewhere reasonably priced, there is now a springhill suites marriott, and book ahead as these hotels fill up fast.

You may want to take a day trip with four days, to Quebec City

Dec 29th, 2002, 06:22 AM
Debra

Thanks for all the replies. I've noticed Quebec City has been mentioned twice. Would that be a better choice? Sorry for the delayed responses..family gathering. Thanks again.

Dec 30th, 2002, 04:55 AM
zootsi

I totally disagree with Duke and J. Motreallers are (for the most part) very friendly, and tolerant of our lack of French. There are tons of things to interest teenagers. As for Quebec City, it is much smaller, very scenic, and almost like being in an old, walled French City. For a short stay, it would probably be more fun since it is so unique, however you can see most of it in a few days. The countryside outside Quebec City however is very beautiful. Find the website for the Provence of Quebec, and order their free vsitors guide for both Montreal and Quebec. These books are worth their weight in gold, and will give you all the info you need.

Dec 30th, 2002, 05:50 AM
kate

Montreal is good for more than 4 days, so if you want to give one up, a day in Quebec is all you need.
Speaking French in either city is a non-issue for English speaking visitors.
We go to Montreal at least twice a year, there are so many things we still haven't done and seen. You will find plenty to do with the kids for 4 days.

Dec 30th, 2002, 06:41 AM
Debra

Thanks so much for the information! I am now armed to argue my case! Thanks again, and Happy New Year everyone.

Jan 10th, 2003, 06:09 AM
curt

DUKE you are one sick puppy. Please everyone IGNORE his venom. I have spent much time in Montreal (I do not speak much French) and have never found anything but friendly helpful people there, both the English and French speakers. It is a wonderful city to visit and one of my favorites. Montreal, along with Quebec City, is the closest to Europe you can get to in North America

Jan 10th, 2003, 01:38 PM
xxx

As an Anglo Montrealer, I can validate Duke's position. While I most certainly do not accept the notion that Quebec or Montreal are "Third World" I find that some storekeepers can be snooty and especially rude if you do not make the attempt to speak French. Perhaps if they know you are tourists, they will be more accomodating but from my experience they expect anglos. to speak French fluently. I have often tried to speak french to certain store keepers and they either ignore me because I am not fluent or begin speaking to me in their broken english.

Jan 13th, 2003, 04:06 AM
Dee

Once in Montreal we got off the "beaten path" and I stopped in a shop of a woman that truly did not speak english. However, she was very nice and offered to find some one in another shop that did speak english. We did not have her do this and managed to communicate with her. Having traveled in Europe, I have learned that you can usually communicate with someone who does not speak you native language if you try.

However, that is the only time we have encountered someone that did not speak fluent english. We have often been greeted with "bon jour" but as soon as we reply with our "bon jour" they will speak to us in english.